New materials that appear on the construction market make it possible to carry out repair and construction and installation work at a higher level of quality. Liquid heat-insulating paint for pipes is a modern new-generation insulation that is used today to insulate pipelines, heating and water systems, as well as equipment equipped with a high-temperature carrier. This material is designed to reduce the heat transfer of surfaces that are covered with it.
According to the manufacturers of this paint, it has higher thermal insulation performance. Brings enterprises more economic effect, despite the high cost. To verify the authenticity of these statements, you need to know a little the technical parameters of the paint, familiarize yourself with the components included in it, know the application process and other nuances of use.
What is it, how does it work
Heat-insulating paint for pipelines is a substance in the form of a mastic mass, with a consistency like that of ordinary sour cream. It is used for the processing of load-bearing structures, tanks and systems involving pipe laying. Invented, initially, purely for the space industry. Now it is used in the construction and installation and repair industries, the construction of buildings.
The heat-reflecting capabilities of this coating are such that even with a thickness of only 1 mm, it well prevents heat loss where it is most required. It can be applied to any surface: walls, ceilings, tubes and other structures.
After application, the substance, polymerizing, turns into an elastic matte coating, acting as a temperature barrier. By keeping it inside the system, it does not allow it to radiate outward. The reduction of heat loss occurs due to the fact that the coating has:
- A very small proportion of substances with heat-conducting properties. It consists of only 20% of the components endowed with these capabilities.
- The loss per convention for this substance is also negligible. The material consists of «balls» of microscopic dimensions. Which fill the rarefied air currents.
- The efficiency of heat saving (which is 90%) is achieved due to the fact that the coating acts on the principle of a classic thermos.
In addition to heat-saving functions, it plays the role of additional protection against corrosion and other negative processes that pipe products may be exposed to.
Such insulation of pipelines is a more than worthy alternative to traditional mineral wool and other hitherto known heat insulators.
What is it made of, what technical characteristics does it have
Liquid thermal insulation is an innovative material with very high thermal insulation performance. This is a composite coating made of polymers containing hollow ceramic microspheres.
The structure of this substance is as follows:
- Base — binder — a mixture of water and acrylic. Designed to promote uniform distribution over the surface, enhance the adhesive ability of surfaces.
- The filler is ceramic granules, microscopic in size, which are filled with gas. Due to their presence, thermal insulation increases significantly.
- Additional components — rubber, silicone and other components with properties that improve the water resistance and elasticity of the coating.
Warming this insulation in combination with other varieties increases the ability to keep warm in them.
After application and complete polymerization, the specific gravity of the voids is in the range — 75-80%.
The indicators of this parameter are given in tabular form:
|Density (kg/l)||0.6 (that is, a 10 liter bucket filled with paint will not weigh 10 kg, its actual weight is only 6 kg)|
|Presence of granules||With tactile contact (to the touch), a slight roughness is felt|
|Quality||During delamination, a massive layer consisting of a layer of granules should be present.|
What varieties are divided into, features of each type,
The market for insulating coatings in this category offers several varieties that differ in composition and application methods:
- penoizol (polystyrene foam).
Ceramic thermal paint
In appearance, this is a substance (mastic), resembling an acrylic paintwork. On sale there are several types of names of this heater. However, their consistency, technical data and composition are identical:
- The binder is a water-acrylic solution.
- Additional components — silicone resin, rubber or other components with similar properties.
- Ceramic granules of regular round shape.
After application, it forms an ultra-thin layer with very high thermal insulation values. Widely used in construction. In addition to thermal insulation functions, it is also used as corrosion protection.
It also has many names, it depends on the manufacturer and country of manufacture. Comprises:
- Urea-formaldehyde resin, which is also part of the composition of cold hardening foams.
- foaming substance.
- orthophosphoric acid.
The percentage of resin is the main indicator of density. To mix the ingredients of the composition, special equipment is used (a gas-liquid apparatus that runs on compressed air). As a result, the components, when mixed, turn into a foamy mass.
Applied by spraying. To do this, you need a special spray gun. This application technology allows you to tightly fill voids, cracks, crevices. It has a slightly yellowish tint.
The coating has no seams, which makes it possible to effectively use it in those areas and areas where the indicators of tightness, strength and reliability are very important and high.
Heat-insulating paint can be used to insulate any type of pipes, regardless of their purpose. This approach is a reliable protection against: heat loss and corrosion.
Reasons for using liquid pipe insulation
This method of keeping warm has many positive aspects:
- It applies well to all types of surfaces, including curves and depressions.
- Reliably keeps on surfaces, due to excellent indicators of adhesion.
- It is inert to the components of the surfaces on which it is applied, without entering into any types of reactions with them.
- It has an attractive appearance after application.
- Completely safe for human health.
- Liquid insulation coating significantly increases the maintainability of pipelines.
- Inert to fire — does not burn, does not pass fire through itself.
- Extends the service life of structures.
- It is possible to tint the milky shade to any other color.
- It has high resistance to accidental mechanical damage.
- Inert to high humidity, chemical and other aggressive compounds.
The disadvantage is the cost. Compared to other heat insulators, it is much more expensive. But such costs pay off with properties and functions that none of the other heat insulators have.
High-quality thermal paint makes it possible to protect the metal from damage in all weather conditions and temperature conditions from (-6000) to (+25000FROM).
Areas of use
In all countries of the world, liquid thermal insulation has long been used to strengthen bridges, massive metal structures for other purposes. This innovative coating is also used in processing with insulation:
- pipelines of various purposes and diameters in industrial and residential buildings;
- pipelines for transporting too cold, explosive and too hot substances;
- oil and gas pipelines;
- air ducts of air conditioning systems;
- in facades, slopes, roofing and other architectural elements;
- shutoff valves located in laboratory, medical, furnace institutions.
Moreover, having the ability to firmly adhere to surfaces, it can also be used in the insulation of concrete, brick and polymer structures.
Features of use — phased processing of tubes
Thermal paint is widely used where special requirements are put forward for indicators such as thermal conductivity — pipes for heating, water supply, transportation of mixtures that are very sensitive to low or, conversely, high temperatures. The composition must be applied in compliance with the rules:
- First clean and degrease the surface.
- Prime them.
- Check polymer pipes for adhesion.
- Hot pipelines are insulated by alternating layers of paint with fiberglass. The number of layers is approximately 3-5 each.
For external pipelines, liquid heat-insulating mastic TM is used: «Isollat», «Korund-Facade» and other compounds with the same properties.
To maximize the alignment of the pipes, giving them aesthetics, you can alternate a layer of bandage or gauze with paint.
Paint consumption — how to calculate correctly
Liquid heat insulators are a worthy replacement for traditional mineral wool and other materials that were previously used. This new coating has proven itself exclusively on the positive side. It has practically no negative properties. When buying it for private use, in addition to the cost and advantages of brands, another indicator is important — material consumption.
As an example, a preliminary calculation of paint is given, for example, «Korund Classic».
1 can of paint with a capacity of 1 liter:
- with an application thickness of 0.5 mm, it can cover 2 square meters;
- with a thickness of 1 mm — only 1 square.
It is very important here to provide for the loss of material for overspending. It depends on the application method:
- when working with a paint brush and a metal surface, the loss will be 3-5%;
- with the same paint brush on concrete 5-10%;
- when working with a spray gun on a metal surface 15-25%;
- if you apply the composition with a spray gun on concrete — 35-45%.
The rougher the surface, the greater the paint consumption will be if applied with a spray gun.
The location of the surfaces is also important — vertical or horizontal. Here, 5% must be given to the influx of layers during vertical staining.
The qualification of the master also has a lot of weight. Having experience makes it possible to reduce material overruns.
Other factors that affect overspending:
- pipeline diameter;
- degree of roughness;
- weather if the street structure is painted.
Recommendations of specialists for selection
Experienced craftsmen advise to be based on the following recommendations when choosing liquid thermal insulation for pipelines:
- Carefully familiarize yourself with hydrophobicity, thermal conductivity and other properties. Comparing their compliance with the features and material of the surfaces on which it is planned to apply the composition.
- Correctly calculate the consumption of paint, taking into account the overspending and the thickness of the application. Otherwise, the quality of the coating will deteriorate.
- It is not desirable to be limited to one layer. Especially if the pipes are too rough and uneven.
- Check the temperature regime of the composition specified by the manufacturer, compare with the conditions in which you will work.
- For outdoor work, you should also buy paint for outdoor use, for indoor use, respectively, for indoor use.
- Some formulations have limitations in freeze/thaw cycles. Pay attention to this when it comes to street use.
In general, thermal paint deserves attention, both from professionals involved in insulation, and from ordinary users who seek to insulate not only walls, but also pipelines in their household. And the fact that you can even apply it yourself (after all, it does not require special equipment when using it), then it will be easy to cope with this task.