A major overhaul is a state program that provides for a set of repair work to improve the condition of an apartment building. This necessarily includes the replacement of communications: plumbing, heating, gas pipelines. One of the interesting processes that require a detailed explanation is the replacement of gas pipes and a riser in an apartment during a major overhaul.
Why change the gas pipeline: the main reasons
Centralized gasification is one of the modern benefits for the population living in apartment buildings. Most of the houses were built back in the expanses of the Soviet Union, so some of the communications are very outdated and worn out. In this regard, the state is conducting a major overhaul program, in which gas pipes are replaced free of charge in each apartment.
The overhaul program provides for the free replacement of all components of the gas pipeline.
There are several reasons for replacing the gas pipeline in an apartment in a multi-storey building:
- there was a gas leak (in this case, part of the riser is replaced in the apartment where the problem was discovered);
- pipes are worn out, initial damage to the pipe coating is visible;
- the service life of the pipes has come to an end — this is what happens in houses built more than 50 years ago.
Mosgaz reports that the replacement is a planned procedure. At the same time, each resident of an apartment building must provide access to his home at the set time so as not to interfere with the work of the craftsmen. Usually, before such a major repair, the local housing and communal services notify all residents of the house about impending work, so everyone should be aware of the major repairs.
The need for replacement during a major overhaul: is it possible to refuse
It often happens that the work during the overhaul causes some discomfort to the residents of the apartment, who are currently replacing the riser. Many residents are afraid of damage to other equipment, so they seek to conclude an additional contract with the contractor. Unfortunately, the contractor is not required to conclude documents with each apartment owner. This repair is a replacement for common property equipment and each apartment owner must provide access to service workers.
Refusing to work also does not make sense. The need is due to the poor, worn-out condition of the gas pipeline, which in the future entails negative consequences.
If the resident does not provide access to the apartment, then the workers will not be able to completely replace the riser. This will lead to the shutdown of the gas supply and dissatisfaction from the neighbors in the riser. In case of refusal to carry out work in the apartment of the refused owner, the gas will be completely cut off.
Rules for replacing gas pipes in the kitchen
Gas pipes are the most important element of the gas supply system to the apartment. They connect the main gas pipeline of an apartment building to the gas pipeline in each apartment. When replacing pipes provided for by a major overhaul, the procedure for dismantling the old and installing a new gas pipeline in the kitchen is carried out. Often, service workers change old pipes for flexible hoses, and valves are also replaced. The entire procedure should be regulated in a special document.
Involvement of gas service employees
The houses included in the capital repair program are equipped with outdated gas pipes, so the involvement of local service workers is inevitable. The program provides for the safety of all residents in an apartment building, so it is important that professionals do the work. There are several criteria by which you can distinguish a gas service employee from other people trying to make money on tenants:
- the employee is dressed in a special uniform with reflective stripes, on the back there is the name of the performing service;
- the employee must provide the tenant with his certificate with a signature and seal from the head of the gas service;
- the certificate must contain a photograph of the employee, his data, the logo of the service, the name of the department, as well as a seal and a hologram;
- if a tenant is in doubt, they may call 104 to clarify the official inspection schedule.
The work is paid for by the Capital Improvement Fund, so no funds are taken from the tenants. Employees of the gas service at the set time come to the apartment and carry out a number of works, the result of which must comply with legal regulations. It is forbidden for residents to independently engage in the reconstruction of the gas system — because of this, a fine may be imposed on the apartment.
Requirements for the selection of materials
Before installing new pipes throughout the house, the contractor must purchase material. All materials must comply with standards and requirements. Often the gas system is located in the kitchen: it is a source for supplying a resource through a stove, and is also sometimes used for heating using a boiler. The following requirements must be met by law:
- Fire safety. For gas pipes, it is necessary to choose steel, copper and polypropylene pipes. Each of the listed materials allows for complete sealing of the seams, therefore, leakage should not occur.
- Gas pressure. This indicator should not exceed the norm established by SNiPs — 0.003 MPa.
- Requirements for steel pipes. Products must be made of calm mild steel grades St2, St3, and St4. Pipes for gas supply must have special certificates confirming that the products can withstand hydraulic pressure.
- Connection requirements. All fittings must be manufactured in accordance with GOST. Elbows, tees, couplings are made of ductile iron with cylindrical threads. Swivels and locknuts must be steel and have cylindrical threads. Transitions and plugs are made of steel with subsequent welding. All parts must be of factory origin.
- Valve requirements. When choosing a material, it is necessary to remember the temperature and pressure of the gas. For the production of locking elements, gray and malleable cast iron, carbon and alloy steel, as well as brass and bronze are used.
Gas services are required to comply with all requirements provided for by the set of regulations for repair work. If problems or gas leaks occur, the contractor is responsible for the work.
Stages of work organization
Before the employees of the gas service start work on the repair, a scheduled inspection of each apartment will be carried out. It is on this basis that the conclusion is made that the apartment building needs replacement of gas pipes. The first thing you need to do to find out if a house is eligible for a renovation program is to go to the gas service website and find your address. If it is on the list, then in the near future we should expect a visit from repairmen.
Often the entire procedure for replacing pipes for a house lasts 3-4 days, this creates some discomfort for residents, but this process ensures further safety. During the initial check, the gas service employee makes notes about what problems there are in the apartment with regards to gas equipment and pipelines. When the repairmen come to the apartment, the work will go like this:
- Preliminary information about the preparation. Often such information is available on the website of the local city gas service. In addition, employees post a notice on the house stating that each resident must ensure that an employee enters the apartment. Residents must completely remove all barriers and kitchen furniture that blocks free access to the gas system.
- Carrying out work. Gas service employees often replace pipes at the entrance. Replacing the gas riser takes 4 hours of working time, therefore, each resident must be at home during this period of time. Masters shut off the gas, cut the gas pipe, mount a new pipe.
- At the next stage, new pipes are soldered to the gas pipeline, before that, the remains of the old gas are removed from it by blowing.
- Security check. With the help of a soapy emulsion, gas workers check the integrity of the welds, and also examine the presence of all plugs and the serviceability of the connection in each apartment.
Only after a security check is it allowed to let gas through the pipes at home. During start-up, the gas pipeline must be purged to force all the air out of it.
Rules for the implementation of welded joints
Depending on the wall thickness of the gas pipe, the type of welding will be selected. For example, with wall thicknesses up to 4 mm, gas welding or electric welding is used. Often in apartments, when replacing during a major overhaul, steel pipes with a diameter of 21.3 to 42.3 mm are used.
The rules for the implementation of welds include:
- before starting the procedure, the edges of the prepared pipes must be cleaned of dirt and corrosion;
- if products with a wall thickness of more than 4 mm are used, then bevels are made on the edges — this helps to achieve rapid melting of steel;
- the movement of the burner should occur from right to left: it passes through those parts of the product that have not yet been welded;
- there must be no metal spatter, scale or other contaminants around the weld;
- on the surface after work there should be no undercuts, burns and cracks.
If there are defects, the gas service employees must redo the work to ensure the safety of the residents of the apartment.
Replacing a pipe with a hose
In Soviet times, gas stoves were connected with steel pipes to the gas pipeline by welding. Today, such a design is impractical, and during a major overhaul, employees will change the old pipe for a flexible hose. Such a device allows you to move the stove to a convenient distance when carrying out independent repair work inside the apartment.
Several types of flexible hoses can be used to attach the plate:
- from rubber and fabric;
- from rubber in a braid from metal;
- bellows metal hose.
The last option is considered the most common — it is strong and reliable. It is a metal in a corrugated shell that can bend. The pipe is cut off to avoid static charge between the faucet and the hose using a dielectric insert. The plate is connected to the hose, then the metal mesh included in the kit is inserted — it protects the burner from contamination. Both ends of the hose are tightened with a wrench. At the final stage, there is a safety check using a soap emulsion.
Major repairs are always unexpected for residents. The main advice for tenants is to carefully prepare for the arrival of gas service workers so that there are no problems with damage to property later. Some apartment owners are wondering what to do with tenants if the pipeline is being replaced in the house? They must be warned in advance about the arrival of a service worker, as well as personally present at the signing of documents.
The main recommendations of specialists for replacement:
- gas service workers will have to change the meter, so residents should think in advance how it will be located and where it will be hidden;
- for the period of replacing the riser around the house, the gas is cut off for the residents, so it is better to use electrical appliances for cooking;
- employees must install a gas shut-off valve, and if there are other gas appliances, shut-off valves are also mounted to them;
- the pipe is attached to the wall with clamps or brackets;
- the slope of the gas pipeline system from the meter should be 3%.
At the end of the work, the repairmen draw up a special act, which is signed by the owner of the apartment. The act indicates all the changes that were made when replacing the gas pipe. Also, the owner is issued a passport for the counter. Before signing the act, it is worth checking everything thoroughly, because the signature will mean complete acceptance of the work.
Possible errors when replacing
Failure to replace a gas pipe under a major repair program poses a great danger to the occupants of the entire building. A gas leak can easily provoke an explosion, so you should be aware of the possible mistakes of workers, including improper connection of gas equipment, as well as the use of low-quality materials.
Residents of an apartment should be alerted by a sudden stoppage of gas supply to a column or stove, as well as the smell of gas in their apartment or at the entrance. In case of emergency in your own home, it is recommended to turn off the taps and call the gas service. If there is a suspicious smell of gas in the entrance, you must contact the management company or housing and communal services.
It is prohibited by law to reinstall or test gas pipes on your own. After the procedure for replacing the riser for overhaul, you can continue to use the stove in normal mode, in case of suspicious moments, call the gas service.