A leak in a sewer pipe is a very unpleasant situation that can happen to any system. The appearance of holes arises from the natural wear of pipes or its improper operation. How to close a crack in a cast-iron sewer pipe, if the problem is taken by surprise, there is no time and money to call the master.
Simple ways to fix leaks with improvised means
Most often, problems arise with cast-iron pipes, from which water supply was made in an apartment in Soviet times. The best way to eliminate the problem associated with high system wear is to completely replace the pipeline and sewerage in the toilet. When there is not enough money for this, you can use many methods to temporarily fix the crack.
Before starting repair work, preparatory actions should be carried out:
- Shut off the water supply in the water supply and riser.
- Inspect the location of the breakthrough. To do this, carefully examine the connection points of the pipes. These places are the most vulnerable cast iron pipelines. The cause of a leak at the junction can be the negligence of a plumber when installing the entire drainage system or as a result of impulse effects (water hammer).
After the location of the leak is located, steps to eliminate it follow. The problem of how and how to seal a cast-iron sewer pipe is solved in various ways, while both improvised and modern materials for sealing cracks can be used. Here it is worth clarifying that the repair of the old cast-iron system is possible if the problem is minor and the hole is small. Or the problem is in the joints.
Leakage on the surface of the pipes can be eliminated in the following ways using improvised means.
1) Installing the clamp in place of the leak, using rubber gaskets. This method of closing a crack requires access to the pipeline at a distance of at least 50 mm. This condition is not met in small rooms, especially with the corner location of the bathroom. Before installing the clamp, the surface should be cleaned with metal brushes from dirt and old paint.
2) Applying gauze impregnated with cement mortar or waterproof glue in places of longitudinal cracks. This method is effective only for pipes with low pressure. Work is carried out according to the following scheme:
3) Another common way is to install a plug. To do this, you will need a small wooden wedge so that it does not clog the sewer system. Install the plug in the place of the hole, and secure it by wrapping it with a regular gauze bandage. Before this, the material should be soaked in a solution of epoxy resin.
4) If the crack is large, it can be covered up with a special preparation made from phosphoric acid and copper oxide. To do this, you need to do the following:
- The leak site is cleaned of rust and remnants of old paint.
- The crack is deepened and the coating around it is degreased.
- Prepare a solution of 3 parts copper and 2 parts acid.
- It is necessary to seal the crack with the resulting composition immediately after preparation, since the mixture quickly hardens.
Note! To eliminate the problem associated with a large crack, this method can only be temporarily. Only a complete replacement of the entire sewerage system will completely help to avoid problems.
5) Epoxy resin. Made with glue. The advantages of this material include a long service life, which reaches 50 years. But she does not tolerate exposure to chemicals. Therefore, if it is necessary to remove blockages, it will not be possible to use solvent chemicals.
Technical sulfur. To use it, you need a burner that heats up the material. And then fill them with a crack. It should be handled carefully, using special protective equipment.
Sealing with sealant
To eliminate fistulas and small cracks in cast iron pipes, you can use new materials. These include sealants. When using this product, it is necessary to take into account the recommendations indicated on the label, the hydraulic pressure in the system and follow the technical regulations.
The sealant is chosen taking into account the diameter and length of the sewer system and drainpipes. The solution of issues related to leakage at the joints must be taken seriously. Classify several types of insulating material:
- Self-adhesive tapes. With their help, sealing of the soldering between pipes, insulation of couplings, nodes, drainage systems of the sewage structure is carried out. The anti-corrosion tape is made from a bitumen-rubber mixture, a protective film is applied on top. The advantages of this material include high strength and resistance to chemical reagents of any composition. It is able to reliably hold a leak, allowing the pipe to remain in working condition for a long time.
- Silicone based sealant. There are two types: neutral and acidic. Removing problem areas with a neutral agent will cost more than sealing gaps with an acid sealant. The material is made on the basis of silicone, which has excellent adhesion properties.
Self-adhesive tape is a modern insulating tool that can be easily used in emergencies associated with pipe leaks. To use it correctly and carry out high-quality repairs, you need to carry out the following steps:
- Prepare the metal surface near the leak by first cleaning it from rust and dirt.
- Tear off the end of a whole roll of tape and attach it to the side of the crack being repaired.
- Then, with winding movements, the electrical tape is placed on the problem area. When working, make sure that the material is tightly stretched and overlapped in a spiral.
- Ultimately, the crack should be under a double layer of sealant.
Silicone sealant is a universal tool for sealing holes not only in cast iron, but also in plastic. To work with this material, you will need to perform a number of simple steps:
- Before starting, inspect the surface of the pipe and make sure it is dry and clean.
- Bring the tip of the gel tube and gently spread it over the entire surface of the crack, including the adjacent areas.
- It should be applied in 2-3 layers, without smearing on the sides of the joint, but only slightly going beyond the boundaries of the problem area.
Experts advise squeezing out the sealant using a specially designed pistol device. If this is not the case, you can use a regular hammer.
If problems arise in the cast iron sewer system, do not despair. There are many tools that will help eliminate the crack and avoid big trouble. Observing all the rules for working with the material, you can carry out high-quality sealing of the leak with your own hands.