One of the common problems of a construction site or an existing structure is the problem of insulation.
Waterproofing of pipelines is the protection of the system from the effects of water in order to extend its operation.
Although there are many waterproofing products, the problem of water leakage is constantly present, and various stakeholders such as real estate developers, contractors, end customers are always looking for an effective and affordable product.
The main quality of the technology is hydrostability, which allows:
- eliminate the effect of corrosion;
- increase the service life of the pipeline;
- prevent the growth of fungi, algae;
- increase the resistance of the paint material.
Water pipe insulation is a multi-factorial case, where the choice of material depends on the specific design option. Waterproofing various water pipes allows you to eliminate condensation on the surface of the pipe, protecting it from rust in the room.
Ventilation, air conditioning
Engineering systems for air ducts also need waterproofing with sealing properties, which will allow:
- improve corrosion resistance;
- improve system performance;
- prevent the formation of condensation.
For ventilation, a bitumen mask, liquid rubber or glass, film materials are used. Any waterproofing must be applied to the cleaned surface of the blower.
Plastic pipes of the sewer system must have reliable waterproofing of the joints to prevent the appearance of foreign odors and seepage of sewage to the surface of the wire. The problem is also relevant for sewer metal pipes in the ground, where the contents can pour into the ground, and the liquid from the ground, on the contrary, becomes part of the supplied water. The situation is aggravated if there is a leaky water supply next to the sewer line, which will begin to suck in sewage.
It is necessary to carry out waterproofing of the well in view of the following reasons:
- Prevention of corrosion, the reinforcing component of the septic tank rings.
- Protection of the concrete walls of the well from the aggressive effects of sewage.
- In case of violation of the walls of the sewage pit, sewage infiltration will occur, which will lead to a deterioration in the ecology of the environment.
- As a result of moisture penetration into the body of reinforced concrete rings, during cold periods, the liquid will begin to destroy the concrete structure.
Chimney pipes on the roof
Because the chimney and roof pipe run above the roofline, they are more exposed to harsh weather than any other part of the structure. The penetration of water into the chimney is the main cause of deterioration in performance and damage to the structure. Chimney waterproofing is a necessary task that will extend the life of the chimney while protecting it from costly repairs.
Types of waterproofing materials
There are many substances that are used to protect against liquids.
Polyurethane foam is a thick coating applied by spray equipment. Liquid instantly turns into foam in air with rapid expansion. Full expansion is 20-30 times the volume of the original material. In outdoor roofing as well as other outdoor conditions, polyurethane foam acts as a protective coating for pipes. Polyurethane foam is an excellent coating component for water systems.
The ingredient not only provides excellent insulation, but also a monolithic, seamless, completely sealed barrier against moisture and air.
Advantages of the tool:
- It can be applied without interrupting the daily rhythm of the facility.
- energy efficiency of the material. Polyurethane foam, in addition to waterproofing, provides thermal insulation and the necessary tightness.
- Ease of maintenance. Foam requires minimal maintenance and has a long service life.
- The foam can fit all types of pipe connections, including irregular shapes and hard to reach shapes.
Heat shrink tape
This is an environmentally friendly thermofusible self-adhesive waterproofing. Wrapping tape is used to repair cables, pipes, insulation, especially when they cannot be disconnected from work.
The heated tape will shrink by about a third of its original size. After cooling, this creates a waterproof protective layer that provides the necessary protection against corrosive attack, weather and other risks. The high resistance capability makes this product ideal for indoor and outdoor use. The tape will not come off over time or from exposure to abundant moisture. Heat shrink tape can withstand a wide range of temperatures.
The product is made of cross-linked polyolefin, as well as eco-friendly material adhesive. Anti-corrosion, anti-abrasive, sealed and waterproof, heat shrink tape allows you to quickly repair the walls of steel pipes (or other materials) suffering from damage that could disrupt operation or create a dangerous situation.
There are several varieties of this class of materials.
Brizol is supplied by the manufacturer in the form of a roll and is characterized by increased elasticity. During installation, mastic is used.
Fiberglass is distinguished by a wide temperature sector of action, as well as high strength. The material is fireproof, and at the same time elastic, which is convenient during installation. Fiberglass is used to create an outer layer with subsequent cladding.
Folgoizol products include two layers of cardboard and foil. Adapts to any shape. The product is treated with a bituminous composition, so foil isol is used as a vapor barrier on heating mains.
Hydroisol is also produced, consisting of cardboard, bitumen and asbestos. The low price of the product provoked high popularity, but the material is highly flammable.
Liquid Waterproof Sealant is a rubber that can be applied like paint to waterproof and protect plumbing surfaces. It is ideal for indoor pipe work. Thanks to its amazing adhesion to almost any material, it is the most versatile product and protective layer.
The product is a strong, durable, waterproof, fully adherent, flexible and seamless membrane that provides reliable waterproofing and protection against harmful chemicals.
The waterproof sealant is easy to apply with a brush, roller or spray pump.
Water-based liquid rubber is non-toxic, contains no solvents, so it is safe for both the person using the product and the environment.
The ingredient is a mixed substance consisting of organic liquids that are very sticky, viscous and water resistant.
There is a wide range of mastic for waterproofing works. The material is easy to apply and remains flexible after application to accommodate any structural or thermal change in the pipeline. The tool has excellent adhesion to most materials used in the creation of pipelines.
The ingredient is used to improve the quality of the tightness of joints in the case of work with external pipelines. It is possible to use the product during pipe installation or repair.
Waterproofing of pipelines for various purposes
For the hot water wire and heating system, waterproofing should also act as a heat insulator. This will reduce heat loss for copper pipes, which conduct heat 3-4 times more than polypropylene.
Waterproofing of pipelines can be provided by sandwich insulation or so-called cases, when the water supply is placed in a pipe of a larger diameter, thereby creating an air gap for thermal insulation, and the outer shell will protect against external moisture from the soil.
Cold water also needs a moisture barrier for smooth heat transfer and corrosion protection. For these purposes, use a rubber coating, mastic or liquid rubber.
There is a range of methods for waterproofing sewers, including bituminous products, due to their high resistance to liquids, gases, and high ductility.
Features of waterproofing chimneys and chimneys
- The first step to waterproofing a chimney is to determine how much material is required. It is necessary to measure all sides of the chimney, for the total area;
- Step 2 — Cleaning the chimney. If there is mold, dirt, rust, creosote stains, fading, or any other foreign matter in the chimney, it must first be removed;
- Step 3 — Protect non-target areas. This step is important because overspraying the shingles can cause discoloration. Use a towel cloth or other absorbent material around the base of the chimney;
- Step 4 — Repair of chimneys. If the chimney has minor cracks, these should be repaired before making it waterproof;
- Step 5 — Choose a water repellent material. When waterproofing a chimney structure on a typical roof, it is very important not to use sealant. As chimneys heat up and cool down, moisture is created inside the chimney. This moisture usually passes through the brickwork. If sealant is used, moisture will remain trapped and when freezing occurs in winter, this moisture will begin to break down the structure. A breathable water repellent should be used in the chimney to prevent this problem;
- Step 6 — waterproofing by processing the chimney. Applying a water repellent with a sprayer. Requires using the area calculation from the first step to determine how much water repellency is needed.
It is worth starting from the bottom of the chimney, gradually paving the way to the top. Applying a coating of waterproofing in a large layer will cause the surface to become completely saturated. This will create the most effective moisture resistant qualities. Using a damp brush will help ensure an even distribution.
For optimum performance, apply the second coat within three to five minutes. The water-repellent material will dry in two to six hours.
Once waterproofing is done, any items on the roof should be carefully removed.
It is also possible to use corrugated board insulation as a material for insulation. In this case, for a slate roof, it is necessary to create a steel connection along the perimeter of the chimney at the entrance to the roof, on which a corrugated board of the required shape is then laid.