The content of the article:
Underfloor heating is an opportunity to get the necessary heat in the apartment and at the same time save on the main heating. It can be made from a heating coil or hot water pipes. For both types of floors, special fasteners are used. Each mount has its own characteristics and design solutions.
Types of fasteners for underfloor heating and methods of their fastening
Depending on the type of underfloor heating, the following fasteners are used:
- Reinforcing mesh. This is the most popular type of underfloor heating fasteners used in construction. A tube of water is neatly laid in a zigzag pattern over the reinforcing mesh. Then, using special brackets, the tube is attached along the entire length. It should be noted that in places of bends, three brackets are used to strengthen fixation. The mesh itself is attached directly to the concrete floor using anchors.
- Mounting rails. Depending on the area of the entire room, mounting rails are laid at a distance of 1-1.5 m from each other. By themselves, the tires are mounted on self-tapping screws in the concrete floor or logs. At the same time, up to fifty self-tapping screws can take to fix one tire. Then a pipe is laid in a zigzag pattern in the grooves of the tires.
- screws, self-tapping screws and anchor connections. Although these fasteners do not directly hold the pipe or heating coil, they are still necessary to secure mounting structures, whether it be reinforcing mesh, mounting rails, styrofoam boards or a tack. Anchor connections are a screw with a smooth end and a plastic cap. Another such connection is called quick installation.
- Clamps. There are several types of clamps that are used to fix the pipe. The most popular are plastic and metal clamps that are worn over the pipe and nailed with dowels. In exceptional cases, flexible tightening clamps are used (as for cable connections).
Recommendations for choosing fasteners for underfloor heating
When choosing the right hardware, focus on the following indicators:
- Fastener length. Experienced craftsmen noticed that when the floor heating is working, the pipes expand slightly from heating the water, and in connection with this, the load on the fasteners increases. Short screws or anchors can simply pop out and then the structural elements of the floor will directly touch the floor covering. Because of this, the coating may be damaged. If you plan to screw self-tapping screws into a wooden board, then take a length of 2/3 of the thickness of the timber.
- Quantity. Calculate in advance how many connecting elements will be required for each section of the reinforcing mesh or mounting rail. Buy with a margin, as due to shortcomings or unforeseen situations, fasteners may not be enough. So that work does not stop at the most inopportune moment, it is better to have everything in reserve.
- Hardware quality. Purchase products only from trusted suppliers, as poor-quality fasteners can lead to failure of the mounting structure, which inevitably entails losses for the customer.
If you plan to order installation, then first agree with the contractor how much and what type of fasteners will be required. Properly selected fasteners are the key to a successful repair.