Polyurethane is composed of a polyol and an isocyanate. It is considered a synthetic material, an elastomer, which, after stretching, takes on its original shape. For gluing polyurethane to each other, different types of adhesives are used — they are chosen depending on the composition of the material, its density, ozone resistance, resistance to acids, as well as the temperature regime of operation. A variety of polymer adhesives and putties are what can be used to glue polyurethane together.
Types of glue for polyurethane
Adhesives designed specifically for polyurethane are practical, lay on the surface in a thin layer and fill all voids. Most of them dry quickly on the surface and firmly fix the sheets of elastomers to each other. They are resistant to moisture and do not crack with temperature changes.
The compositions are made on a polymer basis and harden in a few minutes. They securely fix the material on the bases of:
Important! They work with polymer glue quickly: due to the accelerated hardening process, it is not possible to level the surface. After application, all smudges are immediately wiped off, since it will be difficult to work with them afterwards: you will have to use a solvent or sandpaper.
After drying, the seams remain intact, do not crack or expand with temperature changes.
They are inserted into the mounting gun and applied to the surface. After 40-60 seconds, the material is already seizing, so during this period it is necessary to press the two planes together. Polymer glue is white and transparent, it can be used to glue polyurethane skirting boards.
Used for general construction work and interior decoration. The material allows you not to level the wall before gluing polyurethane products, as the consistency of the putty allows you to do this in the process. The adhesive mixture quickly hides surface irregularities, defects and potholes. After application, polyurethane does not need to be pressed to the plane for a long time. Work with the material is carried out indoors, as it does not emit harmful substances.
- ease of use;
- uniformity of application;
- independent production of the mixture.
Such a composition can be made independently: for this, they take PVA glue, dry finishing putty, water and a container for cooking. Proportional calculation — 4 parts of dry putty to 1 part of PVA. All components are mixed in a bucket, water is added to a state of thick suspension. The composition is left for 5 minutes, mixed, used for its intended purpose. Ready-made putties are sold in buckets or in tubes — they are inserted into the gun for installation.
For fixing lightweight polyurethane products, special mounting adhesives are used. More often they are used for fastening stucco moldings, ceiling plinths and cornices. They fix products on glass, tiles and other surfaces. The mounting compound is used for mounting on the wall — it is durable and elastic, but it is not recommended to use it for joints, as cracks will appear over time.
Despite this amount, one tube is enough for 7-8 applications, since the consumption of assembly adhesive is uneconomical. Its thick consistency evenly falls on the surface and fixes the product even on a wooden base.
- does not leave marks after drying;
- when it hardens, it becomes like a primer of a light shade.
In construction stores, you can find mounting glue in cans or buckets of 500, 1 and 5 kg. It is recommended to apply the composition with a spatula.
Important! Instead of mounting glue, liquid nails are also used. They are made on an acrylic basis and are designed to fix light weight products.
Gluing polyurethane is best done with mounting tubes, and docking glue is suitable for seams. To fasten molded products at the joints — cornices or moldings, this composition is suitable. The joint mixture differs from the assembly:
- Has a high adhesive power. Polyurethane products experience heavy loads at the seams, over time, cracks appear here and the material leaves. Docking glue will securely fix the products in a certain position without changing the appearance.
- Used instead of putty. Available in white or transparent, suitable as putty in places where you need to level the surface or mask the seam. The gaps between the polyurethane skirting boards are perfectly smeared with docking glue and hide unevenly cut edges.
- Grabs quickly. After a minute of pressing the material against the wall, the processes of solidification of the mass occur. After a few minutes, it will be difficult to tear the product from the wall, while the adhesive mass will remain on one of the parts of the finish.
- Lacquers adhere well. Polyurethane skirting boards are painted before fixing, and the joints are tinted after finishing. The glue creates a light layer that lends itself to coloring in several steps.
After that, the composition can no longer be adjusted, so it is immediately necessary to fix the product evenly and correctly.
Popular brands of glue
Depending on the properties of the adhesive composition, its adhesion changes, as well as the time for adjustment. Popular brands of adhesive mixtures for polyurethane:
- NMC Adefix P5 — a product from Belgium, designed to fix polyurethane or polystyrene to a porous plane.
- Moment DekoStyle is versatile – suitable for a wide range of applications, elastic and waterproof. Can be used in bathrooms.
- TITANIUM Wild — quickly seizes, resistant to moisture, easily tolerates low temperatures. Used on concrete, wood, drywall.
- Europlast Mounting — has a pasty consistency, well fixes polyurethane on a porous base.
- Docking Orac Decor — made on a polyurethane basis, sets in 30 minutes.
- Docking DECOMASTER — forms a transparent seam, sets in half an hour.
It is better to choose compositions based on polyurethane — they fix joints well, or based on acrylic — they firmly attach products to the wall with any base.
How to use
When it is chosen how to glue polyurethane products to the wall, they begin to study the recommendations on the packaging of the composition. If it is a dry putty, it is diluted with water until the desired consistency is obtained. If a tube with mass is used, it is inserted into the mounting gun and the spout is unscrewed. Before use, the wall surface is cleaned of dust and dirt.
Press down for 40 seconds and release. If a joint compound is used, it is applied between the edges of the products and the evenness of the distribution and fixation of the material is corrected. The glued products will become completely immovable after 30 minutes, the joint can be painted.
Calculation of the amount of glue
Most often, polyurethane baseboards are fixed on adhesive mixtures. To calculate the amount of mass, calculate the perimeter of the room, and also add the length of all the protrusions where the skirting boards will be installed. The calculation is simple: each tube indicates the number of running meters for which this pack is enough.
When choosing which glue to fix polyurethane products, take into account their weight, as well as the presence of additives in the composition. For example, if the finish is not made of pure polymer, but with the addition of chemical plasticizers, then a certain type of adhesive may not be suitable. Before buying, it is better to immediately clarify all the characteristics of the composition.