Open pipe ends require sealing. There are various options for plugs used as a shutter. They are indispensable for carrying out repair work, transporting the profile, finishing the structure. You can install this type of stop valves yourself, using parts that are ready-made or made from improvised materials.
What are locking elements for?
Installing a plug on the end of the pipes is carried out in such cases:
- When distributing water, gas, sewer networks, in order to prevent any foreign objects from getting inside, including debris;
- During the repair work in a separate sector. Constipation is set so that the whole system continues to function;
- If it is necessary to preserve a separate section of the network, which will not be used at this stage of construction, but is necessary for further pipeline installation;
- During demolition work. With the help of closing parts, the network is divided into separate branches that work in parallel. Therefore, dismantling the pipes of one part does not lead to a shutdown of water or gas in the entire system;
- When eliminating accidents, to urgently stop the leakage of pipe filler..
Note! With the help of plugs, any cut of the pipe is made out, which cannot be hidden under wall decoration, inside furniture, building structures. In this case, they also play a decorative role.
Shut-off valves for metal pipes also act as protection against moisture, from the development of corrosive processes.
Overview of types of locking elements for pipes
They are classified according to the following criteria:
- Features of the design of the plugs. Allocate threaded, pneumatic, elliptical, end, flange;
- Material type. They are made from metal (steel, brass, including chrome-plated), polymer (polyethylene, plastic), rubber, as well as from improvised means — wood, fiberglass, metal plates, polyurethane foam.
In systems with a threaded connection, threaded ones are used. They are made mainly of metal, but there are also plastic options. They can have external and internal cutting.
They are easily installed independently when the thread type matches the pipe. It is necessary to pay attention to the sealing of the connection point. Usually this is a winding of linen rope or FUM tape.
Important! Threaded plugs are limited by the diameter of the pipe. Their diameter does not exceed 2 inches.
You can make a threaded plug with your own hands from a piece of metal or metal-plastic profile, if you cut the required type of thread using a die, screw plug, lathe.
Rubber pneumatic plugs are used to eliminate accidents on pipelines. They increase in volume when air is pumped in. Rubber under the action of an air jet is stretched until it completely blocks the hole. It is an effective way to eliminate emergency leakage of liquid and gas from pipelines.
Flanged locking parts
Flange plug — a metal (steel) or rubber plate that has several holes for attaching to a pipe flange. Bolts or specialized rivets act as fasteners. Flanges and plugs to them are mounted on pipes whose diameter exceeds 2 inches.
The tightness of the connection between the fittings is achieved by using different types of gaskets, which are selected depending on the pressure and temperature in the line.
Advice! The flange plug in the centralized cold water supply system is sealed with a rubber gasket, and hot — from heat-resistant materials, such as paronite.
This type of stop valves is not only easy to install, but also dismantle.
Made of sheet steel, elliptical plugs are welded to the pipe. They become an integral part. They are used in industrial pipelines.
An easy way to protect against clogging, corrosion, and finishing of pipe routing is to install an end cap. It is selected according to the type of pipe material. Traditionally, it has the form of a cap that is snapped to the pipe cut. Internal versions are also available. These types of plugs in apartments, private houses are usually made independently.
What influences the choice
There are four factors that determine the choice of the type of constipation:
- How pipes are used Elliptical fittings are mounted in gas supply pipes as the most reliable. In pipes used to deliver a working mixture of high temperature and pressure, metal plugs are used. In cold water, you can use any locking elements.
- Assignment of locking caps. Elliptical, threaded plugs serve for strong and long-term clogging of pipes. Pneumatic are used in emergency situations. Flanged, threaded are needed where opening and closing of the highway is supposed.
- Pipe material. The rules for installing plugs require that metal be installed on metal pipes in accordance with the type of metal, plastic on plastic. The exception is air fittings, which are considered temporary. If the cap plays a decorative role, then it is selected in accordance with the overall design concept.
- Pipe geometry. The basic rule: round for round, square for profile. A threaded plug cannot be fixed to a square section of the reinforcement. Decorative ones that do not carry an operational load may not comply with this rule.
Important! In order for the locking element to fully fulfill its function, the diameter of the plug, its geometric dimensions must completely match the same dimensions of the pipe.
End caps from improvised materials
You can independently install factory locks or make them from available materials:
- «Grandfather» option — cork made of wood. A fungus is machined from the bar, in which the leg has a smaller diameter than the cap. The diameter of the leg corresponds to the diameter of the pipe. With a hammer (for plastic pipes of a rubber mallet) they are driven in with the leg inward until it stops into the cap. It is difficult to change wood plugs in the water supply, as the wood swells inside.
- For temporary sealing, you can use a plastic bottle or cork to it. Mounted with a blowtorch.
- Pipes that need to be preserved in a non-working state for a while can be foamed with mounting foam. To prevent the foam from falling into the pipe, the hole is clogged with paper. Then the paper cork is covered with foam, so that the edges of the cut are completely filled. At the last stage of installation, the excess is removed, and the foam is covered with protective mastic.
- From sheets of metal, plugs are made for self-tapping screws or welding, which look like factory ones. To do this, elements are cut according to the parameters of the hole with a margin for fastening. Welding provides a reliable and durable sealing option.
- Concrete plugs are poured onto the fence posts, which are filled with sand inside. They have significant weight and can crush the support.
How to remove or replace the plug
Replacement of plugs is carried out in a manner corresponding to its type. Work order:
- Disconnect the pipeline from the supply of liquid-gas carrier;
- Select tools for removing and installing this type of plug. Prepare replacement of the locking valve itself;
- If the fitting is threaded, it is unscrewed, the threads are cleaned and a new element is screwed on. The elliptical cap is cut off with a grinder. To pull out the pneumatic plug, open the valve on it and release the air. The protection is unscrewed from the flange.
Plugs are fittings used at various stages of construction, when repairing highways, and simply as a finish. Both factory options and do-it-yourself caps are used.