The content of the article:
Polyethylene films on greenhouses need to be replaced every year. Those who use just such a coating option know exactly how troublesome it is to put greenhouses in order with the onset of the season. An excellent solution to this problem is the coating of greenhouses with cellular polycarbonate. However, it is important to avoid mistakes when installing polycarbonate sheets on the frame of the structure.
Why is it better to choose cellular polycarbonate for greenhouses
Two types of greenhouses are considered common — metal and wooden. At the same time, their shape is not important for a polycarbonate coating, since even on curved frames the sheets fit perfectly, adjusting to the bends.
The strength of polycarbonate sheets is much higher than that of glass, comparing them with polyethylene film is completely illogical. The preservation of the functional qualities of polycarbonate is ensured by a special protective coating that protects the material from ultraviolet radiation. Polycarbonate sheets are able to serve up to 15-10 years with full preservation of strength and transparency.
How to properly cover a greenhouse
Difficulties when covering greenhouses with polycarbonate https://poly-max.com/katalog/polikarbonat/ should not arise if you remember some rules.
A few basic rules for covering greenhouses with polycarbonate:
- In the cavities inside the sheets of cellular polycarbonate, with a temperature difference, condensation forms and moisture accumulates. That is why the sheets should only be placed vertically, because in this way the condensate will easily flow down from the cavities.
- The recommended thickness of polycarbonate for a greenhouse is 4 mm. This thickness is sufficient for the manufacture of high-quality greenhouses. The fact is that thicker sheets will cost more, while the service life is almost the same for all options. When choosing polycarbonate, the main attention should be paid to the density of the sheet (it should not be less than 0.5 kg / m2) and the thickness of the protective layer from UV (it should be at least 30 microns).
- Undoubtedly, it is important to understand that you are purchasing a quality product. The buyer can always ask the seller for a quality certificate, which confirms that the polycarbonate is produced at the factory in accordance with the declared specifications. A bona fide manufacturer provides the above certificates with each batch of goods.
- It is important, during installation, to pay attention to the size of the holes that are made to secure the sheets. They should be 2-2.5 mm larger than the self-tapping screws. This is fundamental, because polycarbonate expands or contracts with temperature changes. It is also important not to press the panels in with the screws as this will damage the polycarbonate. In order to securely cover the mounting holes and prevent damage to the polycarbonate, special thermal washers are used.
- Polycarbonate sheets are fastened with special profiles. It can be both parts made of aluminum and polycarbonate. As a rule, connecting and end profiles are used. The use of end profiles is especially important so that the honeycomb is not clogged with dirt and insects. In the absence of protection, the greenhouse, with a high probability, will lose transparency and good appearance.
By following these simple rules, you can create a reliable structure .. And if you follow the proper care of the greenhouse, for example, make supports for the ridge of the greenhouse for the winter, wash it only with special products or clean water, then polycarbonate will last a very long time and retain its qualities during the entire service life .