Metal-plastic pipes are capturing an increasing segment of the plumbing market, so the issue of their maintenance is becoming more relevant. It is believed that if such pipes need to be replaced, the entire pipeline must be changed. But this opinion is wrong. Products are easy to cut and change in parts without harm to the overall plumbing or heating system. Below is a discussion of how to properly cut metal-plastic pipes.
There are several basic cutting methods that directly depend on the tool used. First of all, you can cut products:
- Knife for effective cutting of metal-plastic pipes. The knife in this case should be used self-sharpening.
- Hacksaw for metal. The simplest method, which, however, will require a lot of effort and time from the performer. In addition, the edges may be torn.
- Pipe cutter.
With some tools, the edges of the cut are quite uneven, and particles of material can subsequently cause clogging. The best way is to use special scissors that cut evenly without leaving torn edges. These scissors can cut objects with a diameter of up to 40 mm.
Important! In this case, you will not have to make any special efforts, since the tool is specially designed for such work and has special blades. These blades easily cut through plastic pipes anywhere.
For products with a larger diameter, it is better to choose a pipe cutter. Pipe cutters are telescopic and ratchet. The first type is based on the operation of a special roller rolling along the entire circumference. The second type is more like scissors, as it uses a lever system with two handles.
How to cut plastic pipes
Metal-plastic pipes have a number of advantages over their competitors. They are much lighter than metal and much more resistant to oxidation than copper. They are easy to replace and easy to give the desired shape. You can create a pipeline of any shape. Well, the biggest advantage is the cost. It is much lower than that of copper pipes. And the quality is about the same.
During operation, it may be necessary to cut the pipes. For this, a special tool is used, which is designed to work with such material. To increase the effectiveness of the procedure, it is recommended to properly prepare the pipe and tools before work. Consider the main features of metal-plastic pipes and how to cut them.
Preparing the pipe and necessary tools
The cutting device itself, measuring tapes, adjustable wrenches, seals and some other things are used as tools. All this should be in an accessible place at the time of work.
Sometimes it is required to clean the outer part of the reinforced coating in order to simplify the cutting process in the next step. For stripping, a clutch with blades is used, which allows you to get a perfectly even cut and get rid of the polymer layer. This is necessary for welding work, which is likely to be carried out during the installation of the pipeline.
Important! When working, it is necessary to cut exactly as much material as is necessary for fitting a fitting for metal-plastic products.
Tools for cutting plastic pipes
In the process of cutting pipes, the following tools will come in handy:
- Pipe bender;
- adjustable wrench;
It is important for the master to determine in advance how he will cut metal-plastic pipes. The most important tool on the list is scissors. Everything else is necessary for special preparatory work.
During the cutting process, you do not need to apply a lot of force. It is enough to fully control every movement. If you do not pay due attention to control, you can easily cut off the excess part.
If during the cutting process it is necessary to bend the product, it is not recommended to do it by hand. So you can easily ruin the aluminum layer that is inside. It is better to take a professional pipe bender and perform the operation with it.
Using the wrong tools on one site can affect the entire network, resulting in high repair costs.
Important! Special shears are usually found in the welding kit. But they can be purchased separately. The price of this tool is not so high as to save on it.
Before proceeding directly to cutting, it is necessary to very clearly measure the part where the unit will be divided. To do this, use a tape measure or ruler, as well as a bright marker. A faded pencil can simply not be seen, especially if there is not enough lighting in the room. The mark can be made with a knife, leaving a scratch.
During operation, pieces of plastic and aluminum can scatter in different directions. Therefore, it is necessary to use protective equipment in the form of glasses and special clothing.
Self-cutting can be carried out with products with a diameter of 5 to 30 cm. So, if the product does not fall within these limits, it is best to turn to professionals.
When carrying out any such manipulations, it is important to remember the basic rules:
- Metal-plastic products are very sensitive to temperature, so some problems may arise in hot or cold weather. The material compresses and expands easily, making it difficult to determine true dimensions.
- Metal-plastic, as well as polypropylene pipes, can be cut by any means at hand. But in order to avoid various negative consequences, it is best to do this with special tools.
- An excellent tool is a special self-sharpening knife. But if it is planned to carry out work to replace one section with another, it is better to abandon the tool in favor of scissors.
- The material is quite fragile. Applying too much force is fraught with the appearance of cracks or specific deformations. The permissible load can be seen in the product passport, which was issued at the time of installation of the water supply.
- The type of cutting directly depends on the proportion of metal and plastic compound in the product. If there is more metal, then when cutting, friction should be as small as possible. Otherwise, a large proportion of plastic means a lot of work with a lot of friction.
- Before starting work, it is imperative to make sure that no water or gas is flowing through the pipe. You need to turn off all the taps and wait a bit.
- After completion of work, it is necessary to properly clean the inside of debris, which can lead to blockages or break specialized equipment.
The use of electronic cutting tools is not considered reasonable, as the nature of the material is not designed for this. Can be handled manually.