In most regions of Russia, the question of the need to equip a garage with heating does not cause disputes — the air temperature in winter even in the southern regions drops below zero, not to mention the north of the country. Therefore, the problem of heating garage boxes is discussed only from the perspective of the economy and efficiency of a particular heating unit in relation to specific conditions.
Consider several types of heaters popular among motorists for heating. individual garage and compare their characteristics.
Justification for arranging a garage with heating
The main purpose of a garage box is to store a car, but this room has many additional functions that depend on the interests of the owner and are also not secondary.
Arguments in favor of equipping a garage with heating:
- reduction of dampness in a room periodically heated in winter — the car body corrodes less, the box can be used to store utensils and dry materials, the finishing of enclosing structures lasts longer, the safety of electrical wiring is higher;
- facilitating engine start in winter;
- the possibility of performing repair, preventive or maintenance work, regardless of the outside air temperature.
Important! Efficient, economical garage heating is not realistic without equipping its enclosing structures with thermal insulation.
What the Law says about heating garage buildings
Having decided to equip the garage with heating, you should be aware that not only the result, but also the procedure for your actions must comply with the current legislation of the Russian Federation.
The main legislative act regulating fire-fighting measures in the Russian Federation today is the Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation. “On the fire regime” No. 390 dated April 25, 2012 (as amended on November 18, 2017).
However, there are other fire safety instructions that contain more detailed requirements for the prevention of fires in garage buildings for collective and individual use, which are mandatory. For example, the 2018 “Instruction on Safety for Garages” on 22 pages.
If a garage for individual use that is not adjacent to buildings of an identical purpose, then its heating is equipped according to a project developed by a design organization licensed for this type of activity.
If the structure is part of the cooperative, the arrangement of this room with heating is carried out after agreement with the chairman — in accordance with the instructions he has on fire safety measures, containing calculations and rules for a particular organization.
Important! There is no universal fire safety instruction that thoroughly takes into account the specifics of heating any object.
Thus, all independent actions of garage owners for the installation and use of heating devices are carried out by them at their own peril and risk.
Diesel fuel is an energy carrier that is available both in terms of the availability of fuel and lubricants on the market and in terms of price. In addition, the volatility of diesel fuel is lower than that of kerosene, making it safer for domestic use. Therefore, as heaters for the garage, diesel fuel heat generators consistently occupy leading positions.
A generalized description of the «diesel heaters» group will not give the desired idea about these units, the types of which differ in design and technical characteristics. For these reasons, we will consider one model of each type of diesel fuel heaters that are popular with garage owners.
Solar heaters of indirect heating differ from direct-acting units in that their combustion chamber is isolated from the air of the heated room, and the products of combustion of diesel fuel during the operation of the device are removed through the chimney to the outside.
This design feature is especially important for a garage — a room of limited volume, the content of carbon monoxide in which, when heated with a direct heating diesel gun, will reach dangerous values in a matter of minutes.
Diesel heat gun of indirect heating BALLU BHDN-20 of the TUNDRA series
- dimensions — 89×67.5×44 cm;
- weight (without fuel) — 22.0 kg;
- maximum heat release power — 20 kW;
- fan capacity — up to 500 m3/h;
- supply air temperature — 95about C (at 20about C indoors);
- Efficiency — 78-82%;
- maximum heating area — 200 m2;
- consumed fuel — diesel fuel;
- average consumption of diesel fuel — 1.9 l / h;
- fuel tank capacity — 24 l;
- time of continuous operation on one gas station — 15 hours;
- power supply voltage — 220-230 V;
- cost — 32-37 thousand rubles;
- manufacturer — China.
- high level of security;
- high-performance fan;
- ignition — 2-electrode;
- electronic ignition with a powerful spark;
- high-precision electronic flame control based on a photocell;
- durable heat exchanger and combustion chamber (heat-resistant stainless steel);
- anti-corrosion and heat-resistant paint coating of the body;
- molded rubber tyres.
A more complete picture of liquid-fuel heat guns of indirect heating will help a video demonstrating the diesel heater for the Aurora TK-55 ID garage — a unit identical to the Ballu BHDN-20 described above:
Liquid fuel heaters of the company «SolaroGaz»
The line of heaters of this manufacturer is represented by five main models, differing in power (1.8 — 2.5 kW) and slightly constructive (reflector geometry, material of manufacture of the furnace).
The dimensions of these compact units are in the range of 30-40 cm, which does not require much space when placed and allows you to transport heaters in the trunk of any car. Heaters of the «SolaroGaz» line with a modest size allow you to maintain a comfortable temperature in rooms with an area of 20-25 m2consuming an average of only 0.2 liters of fuel per hour.
The volume of fuel tanks of heaters, depending on the model, is different (2.5 — 3.5 l), but on average ensures continuous operation of the device for 10 hours, and in economy mode up to 18 hours.
The unit is started in the following sequence:
- raise the divider with the emitter grid;
- using the regulator, open the fuel supply;
- set fire to the wick with a lit match;
- lower the spreader.
- versatility (two types of fuel used);
- functionality (heating and cooking);
- compactness and low weight with sufficient power;
- efficiency — low fuel consumption;
- ease of use;
- affordable cost (3-5 thousand rubles).
- factors of open fire, including the need for periodic ventilation of the premises;
- relatively slow exit to the operating mode;
- when using diesel fuel, the release of odor during ignition and shutdown.
Important! It is forbidden to work with volatile fuels and lubricants in a garage with a liquid-fuel infrared heater running, as well as to direct the heat rays of the burner directly towards combustible materials, gas cylinders, gas pipelines, electrical wiring, etc. is prohibited.
Gas heat generators
As equipment for heating a garage, gas heaters are somewhat inferior in popularity to diesel heaters, since connecting a garage building to a natural gas line requires project development, and using bottled propane or butane is much more expensive. However, in regions with an average length of the heating season, gas heaters apply in garage buildings quite often.
Gas heaters are divided into infrared and convection action. In both types of units, heat is generated by burning gas, but the devices differ in the way they transfer heat energy.
From the perspective of ease of use in the garage, consider samples of compact units.
Infrared gas heater BALLU BIGH-3 —
An example of a modern energy-saving heating device that has the functionality and efficiency required for a garage.
The device is connected through a reducer to a cylinder with propane or butane and is sent to the actual area.
After ignition of the burner, the ceramic panel, which emits infrared waves, is heated. Infrared radiation heats the surfaces of objects located on the path of propagation, and then the heated interior gives off heat to the air of the room.
The model is convenient for local directional heating of zones and objects, which is convenient when repairing a car in a garage. In addition, the adjustable stand allows you to direct the radiation upwards and use the device for heating water or cooking.
- ignition — manual;
- fuel — propane, butane;
- heat dissipation power — 3 kW (max);
- heated area — up to 30 m2;
- fuel consumption — up to 200 ml / h;
- heater dimensions — 22.5×21.5×22.1 cm;
- loaded weight — 2.2 kg.
Advantages of the model:
- high-quality paint and varnish covering of the case;
- ceramic emitter of class A protected design.
Important! The sellers of BALLU BIGH-3 present the heating panel as not subject to deformation from contact with water, however, the degree of this resistance is uncertain, therefore, in a garage environment where a car wash is practiced, this IR heater should not come into contact with moisture.
Gas convectors they work according to a different principle — the gas burning in the device heats the metal heat exchanger plate, which, in contact with the room air, initiates the formation of convective flows. The combustion of gas takes place in the body of the unit isolated from the heated volume, and the combustion products are discharged outside through a coaxial or ordinary chimney.
Due to the removal of combustion products to the street, heat losses during heating by such a device are significant, therefore, the heat exchangers of convectors, to ensure sufficient heat transfer, are made much larger than the heating panels of infrared gas heaters.
The operation of gas convectors requires a significant gas flow, so they are rarely used to heat garages. In addition, these heaters enter the operating mode slowly, and in the garage, the effect of the unit should be fast.
Important! When equipping a garage with a gas convector with an open combustion chamber, the room must be provided with ventilation with three air exchanges per hour.
For garage heating, electric heat generators are the safest to operate. In addition, the vast majority of garage buildings are initially electrified, and the use of electric heaters does not require additional measures — chimney, ventilation, fuel problems, etc.
With a relatively short stay of a person in the garage, the cost of electricity for heating will not be significant, although electricity is not a cheap energy carrier.
In connection with the above factors, an electric heater in a garage building is a common unit.
The heating device that we choose for the garage must correspond to the capacity in which the room is used.
If the operating mode is half an hour visits every few days, then a reasonable solution would be to purchase a small spiral or heating element with a fan. An electric tripod-mounted IR heater will also be effective.
When the garage is used as a full-fledged repair shop, it is necessary to consider more inertial, but at the same time energy-saving types of heating units. A rational solution is a home-made register made of steel pipes with a heating element embedded in the lower part, filled with antifreeze or transformer oil.
Important! According to the safety requirements for the operation of electrical appliances, all electrical equipment in the garage must be grounded — to the ground loop or through the third core on the supply cable.
In today’s variety of types of heating equipment offered by domestic and foreign manufacturers, it is not difficult to choose a heater for a garage.
However, when purchasing a device with reference to the existing conditions, first of all, it is necessary to focus on the safety of operation — choose a design with several levels of protection and follow the safety rules. The severity of the consequences of frivolity in this direction is unpredictable, especially in garage cooperatives.
The main essence of the article
- The possibility of heating the garage space is a guarantor of the long-term safety of the car and stored utensils, comfortable conditions for the production of repair work.
- Ensuring comfort in the garage should not be contrary to fire safety rules. The use of any homemade heaters in garages is prohibited.
- Liquid fuel heaters are popular among garage owners, but operating units, even industrial ones, in a cramped room is associated with an increased risk.
- Gas heating units in the process of operation almost do not leave harmful substances after combustion, but gas is a fuel of increased danger. Installation, operation of gas-fired units require design calculations and coordination with licensing authorities.
- Electric heaters are the safest devices for garage conditions, so the apparent high cost of electricity will ensure the cost-effectiveness of heating with electricity in the long run.