A universal pipe bender for a round pipe is a machine with which metal products are bent at an angle of 90, 60, 45, 180 degrees. It is used for arranging water pipes, sewerage. The pipe bender is sold in various stores in the country. The tool is made in different configurations, which guarantees convenient bending of metal pipes.
Types of pipe benders
The machine is automatic and semi-automatic. Semi-automatic requires operator service. Bending a round metal pipe with an automatic machine does not require the assistance of an operator, since it is controlled by a CNC machine in which a computer is built. Previously, a cylinder bending scheme is entered into it. The whole process is serviced by one person who has experience with CNC.
When using a tool, the bend can be varied. The operator is advised to ensure that the radius is no more than two radii of the metal cylinder itself. Pipe benders are:
- Hydraulic. They are divided into stationary and manual. The first of them are used in production and have a frame. This machine makes an angle up to 90 degrees with a diameter of up to 100 millimeters. Manual pipe benders for a metal round pipe bend metal products of small diameter. They are mobile and compact, so they are easy to use in small spaces. Pipe benders bend thin-walled steel pipes. For metal products of large diameter, hand tools are not used.
- Crossbow. The shape of the frame resembles the letter «T». Consists of a movable arm and pipe holder. Hand tools are used for the installation of the heating system and water supply. When choosing a tool, a bend of up to 180 degrees is guaranteed.
- Electrical. With the help of the tool, you can perform a bend, regardless of the level of its complexity. Electric pipe bender for round metal pipe is controlled automatically, which guarantees accurate bending. The tool bends thick-walled pipes, regardless of their diameter. The machine is heavy and therefore difficult to carry. The stationary machine has no errors in operation. They bend metal products at an angle of 30-180 degrees. software is used to control the machine.
A roller system is being introduced into some models. In this case, the part is gradually wound on the rollers, which guarantees its bending.
Principle of operation and characteristics
A homemade tool allows you to bend the pipe at home under a radius of 30-180 degrees. Metal products are used for the installation of complex plumbing and sewer systems. Bending is carried out:
- Stock or crossbow method. It consists in fixing products between two rollers that are stationary. The template, which is mounted centrally on the stem, exerts pressure on the stem.
- Winding method. At the beginning of the place of bending, an emphasis is set. The pipe is pressed against the movable roller by clamps. When the roller rotates, the pipe passes between it and the stop, which guarantees the bending process.
- Run-in. This method requires fixing the pipe to a fixed template. When rotating around the metal cylinder of the pressure roller, the corrugated pipe is bent.
- Rollers. Bending is carried out by two rotating support rollers, which are placed on the same line. The bending radius depends on the position of the support rollers and the central template.
Important! The winding method for pipe bending is used only in manufacturing plants. The rolling method is used to form the configuration of metal products of round section.
When making a tool with your own hands, you can use spare parts that are in the household. For its production does not use a complex scheme. For the production of a pipe bender, it is recommended to lay a concrete slab as a base. It needs to make holes for screwing metal pins. Neighboring elements should be located at a distance of no more than 50 centimeters.
One end of the metal cylinder is fixed between the pins, then a bend is made by hand. The operator applies force while bending the metal product. This method is used for small pipe diameters. Such a scheme is primitive, so the craftsmen make tools more complex, which require less effort to bend products. They consist of:
- The body of the machine, on the back of which the injection unit is mounted.
- In the same part, a screw and a handle are installed.
- From below, the installation bar is mounted by screwing onto the threaded part. After that, the device is pressed with a special nut.
- The hydraulic cylinder consists of a plug into which oil is poured and a special spring.
- A retractable rod is used to make the bending force of the tool. If a spring acts on it, then it returns to its original place.
- Planks resemble a welded structure.
- At the bottom of the machine there are threaded holes into which bolts adjustable in height are mounted.
- By its design, the emphasis of the machine resembles a trunnion. A stream is mounted in the middle of it.
- A pipe that lends itself to bending is installed on the stream.
Manual pipe benders are equipped with a mechanical or hydraulic drive.
You can make a tool that has a manual drive. The template is made from wood. Its shape and the radius of the future bend of the pipe must match each other. To make all work convenient, the end of the template is profiled. To create a profile, it is recommended to use two boards that have a cut line beveled inward.
The template is fastened to an immovable base. On one side of this base, an emphasis is screwed, to which a metal pipe will be applied in the future. It is also recommended to screw the lever out of the pipe. During the bending of the pipe, it is recommended that all actions be performed slowly, which will exclude the possibility of its slipping. The installation provides the ability to bend pipes at home, which have a large diameter.
Hydraulic Pipe Bender
Before manufacturing this machine, it is recommended to prepare the appropriate materials in advance. The machine consists of:
- metal plates;
- hydraulic jack;
- two rollers;
A rectangular structure from a channel is made according to the maximum height of the jack, which is fixed to the base with metal plates.
The tool, which has a hydraulic drive, can be used not only at home, but also in production. A mechanical pipe bender can be made independently according to the diagram:
The hydraulic pipe bender provides the opportunity to reduce labor costs during pipe bending. At the initial stage, a scheme for the construction of the tool is developed. In this case, it is recommended to take into account the materials of its production. Requires the use of a reinforcement bar, which has a cross section of 18 to 20 millimeters. The tool requires the use of metal corners, one side of which is 25 millimeters. The sidewalls are made from sheet iron, the thickness of which is 10 millimeters. Holes are drilled in the sheet to fix the supports.
For support, a tube is used, the dimensions of which correspond to the diameter of the hole. A bolt is welded to it, which has a cross section of 18 millimeters. It is recommended to make a hole in the center of the support, which has a semicircular shape. In the future, a workpiece rests against this recess, which will be bent according to the specified parameters.
To create a punch, you need to use sheet metal, which has a thickness of 4 millimeters. Semicircular blanks are cut out of it. When drawing up a diagram, make sure that the radius of the parts fully corresponds to the bending radius of the pipe in the future. Next, a pipe is taken, which has a cross section of 32 millimeters, and cut into 2 parts. One of them is bent according to the shape of the blanks. After that, the parts are welded. To provide additional strength, it is recommended to weld jumpers inside the pipe bender, which will provide stiffeners. In the center of the platform, you need to fix the pipe by welding. It is needed to stop the hydraulic drive, which is used as a jack.
Rules for using pipe benders at home
With frequent installation of plumbing and heating systems using metal pipes, it is difficult to do without a pipe bender. At home, it is recommended to use a tool that has an electric drive. This device will facilitate the work of the operator.
The universal pipe bender has 2-3 pressure rollers that are constantly rotating, which leads to increasing pressure. Roll bending is a gentle method that eliminates the possibility of damaging the metal cylinder.
When using the rolling method, the degree of bending of the metal product is regulated. Accordingly, the design of pipe benders are divided into two types. The first of these includes a frame structure, on which rollers and a wheel are installed to help roll the pipe. The bases and side surfaces are made from sheet metal. Despite the high strength of the material, it is susceptible to corrosion, therefore, after production, these parts are recommended to be powder coated.
A special screw is used to move the pinch roller. Due to the special design of such pipe benders, the possibility of changing the position of the support rollers is guaranteed, which leads to a change in the bending radius. The supporting structure of this tool is a wooden base. For the production of rollers, polymeric materials or wood are used. When the pressure roller rotates, the pipe is pulled. This principle of operation ensures the correct level of bending.
A pipe bender is a tool that is designed to give pipes a bending radius from 45 to 180 degrees. It is sold in the construction market. If there are parts, then the pipe bender is made independently. The machine is made on a bed. Portable pipe benders are also made, with which pipes with a diameter of up to 60 millimeters are bent.