Sewer lines are subject to wear and need to be replaced over time. Polyvinyl chloride products in the plumbing market have shown themselves on the positive side and will soon replace outdated cast-iron equipment.
Types of PVC pipes
Polyvinyl chloride is an innovative material used for the manufacture of pipes and fittings. It is used when carrying out internal and external sewerage, gravity drain, pressure lines, etc.
When laying sewer lines, they rely on the recommendations of the manufacturers: PVC products for internal sewage are exclusively gray, and for external arrangement they are orange.
The use of PVC products for indoor use and a wide range of fittings allow you to create lines of any configuration. Their strength and reliability will cope with the loads that arise in pipeline networks. However, this type is categorically inapplicable for outdoor use as it is not rigid enough.
External PVC pipes must not be used inside the house, as they are unstable to elevated temperatures. The scope of their operation is external communication lines. Pipe diameter of 100-150 mm allows sewage removal from various buildings. Wall thickness is the main factor responsible for strength and durability.
Regarding the area of application, PVC sewer pipes are divided into:
- SN-2 is a lightweight version, used in sections with light loads, in particular, in residential areas and when laying household communications systems indoors.
- SN-4 — compacted version, used when laying sewer lines under roads, where there is a moderate traffic load;
- SN-8 is a heavy-duty version designed for urban sewers and areas with a high level of traffic.
When assembling PVC sewers, shaped products occupy an important place:
- crosses and tees used for wiring;
- turn signals, due to which the direction changes;
- reducers designed to connect sewer pipes of different diameters made of PVC;
- nozzles — allow you to reduce the effect of linear expansion on communications;
- couplings, plugs, revisions, clamps, etc.
It should be borne in mind: the fewer bends, the more economical the installation, while the design will be more practical.
Important! When laying the pipeline with your own hands, the price will consist not only of the cost of the main material, but also of auxiliary elements, and it is much higher than the price of a PVC pipe.
Advantages and disadvantages of PVC products
PVC equipment has a number of advantages in comparison with metal:
- not subject to corrosion;
- has smooth walls that prevent the formation of precipitation;
- does not conduct electricity;
- is not a source of harmful substances;
- susceptible to temperature changes;
- long service life;
- ease of assembly and installation;
- democratic price.
Like any other equipment, PVC systems have weaknesses:
- PVC products used at temperatures below 15˚C need thermal insulation;
- low level of thermal conductivity;
- it is not recommended to use PVC pipes in places where the operating temperature is above 60˚С;
- the presence of damage reduces the service life and resistance to stress.
Important! PVC pipes located in the apartment do not need an insulating coating. With external laying of communications, it is necessary to insulate and insulate the pipeline.
Specifications of PVC pipes
The length, diameter and wall thickness are the main parameters according to which the dimensions of PVC pipes are determined. The table below shows the standard sizes of PVC sewer pipes and their prices.
Type of sewerage
|External ⌀, mm||Internal ⌀, mm||Length, mm||Min wall thickness, mm||Average clearance, mm||Max wall thickness, mm||
Price, rub / m
up to 3000
up to 3000
|800.0||769.2||15.4||751.0||24.5||from 33 000.0|
In accordance with building codes, PVC pipe diameters are used:
- 25 cm — for washing machines;
- from 30 cm to 47 cm — for sinks;
- 50 cm — for wiring communications in the room;
- from 70 cm to 86 cm — a layer from the riser;
- from 100 cm to 118 cm — for the toilet;
- from 150 cm to 190 cm — a segment from the riser to city communications;
- 200 cm — drainage of wastewater;
- from 240 cm to 300 cm — drainage from reservoirs, pools, jacuzzi;
- from 300 cm to 1100 cm — urban sewerage systems.
Note! When laying the sewer system, one should adhere to the requirements of SNiP, otherwise the stagnation of waste promises very unpleasant consequences.
An important role in the conduct and installation of sewerage is given to the socket, the main purpose of which is to quickly and tightly connect. Below is a table that shows the standard sizes of sockets.
Rated pipe ⌀, cm
|Internal ⌀ socket,
|Bell length, cm||Mounting length, cm|
The weight of a PVC product depends on the wall thickness and diameter. However, this indicator will be many times less than that of metal ones that are identical in parameters. At the same time, manufacturers are trying to reduce the material consumption of the product without loss of strength. Detailed information about the weight of one linear meter of PVC sewer pipe can be found in the table below.
|Weight, gr||Weight, gr|
In addition to the above, selective information on pressure versus wall thickness can be found by viewing the table below.
|Diameter, mm||Minimum wall thickness|
|Pressure PN, atm|
|PN-8 (atm)||PN-6 (atm)||PN-10 (atm)||PN-20 (atm)||PN-12.5 (atm)|
Important! When purchasing a PVC pipe for sewerage, it is worth requesting a quality certificate to compare the declared and actual product values.
PVC Pipe Buying Guide
A huge variety of PVC pipes often puts the buyer in a difficult position, thereby complicating the choice. Before purchasing, it is necessary to carefully study the technical and physical properties of the product and decide in what conditions it will be used.
- Strength. Sagging may occur on long sections of the pipeline. This phenomenon can occur when low density PVC sewer pipes are used. In such situations, special brackets are recommended.
- Application conditions. The time of use of the sewerage system can be significantly reduced in cases where the operating conditions are violated; for example, when aggressive particles appear in the pipeline.
- The length of the highway. Before designing a sewer, it is necessary to make accurate measurements in accordance with the linear characteristics of PVC pipes; in straight long sections, it is better to use solid ones.
- Diameter. On sections of the sewer line, pipes of one or another section are used. So, for draining in the bathroom, products with a diameter of 50 mm are used, and when docked to the central riser — 100 mm.
PVC pipes are reliable and practical, therefore leading the plumbing market. Before sewerage, you should carefully study the technical characteristics and requirements for operating conditions, compliance with which can significantly increase the service life.