If you have built a fireplace in your house and are thinking about the options for decorating this building, then in our article you will find all the basic information about the variety of types of decoration.
Do-it-yourself fireplace cladding looks original, complementing the existing interior style in the room. Designers offer to give originality and beauty to the appearance of the structure — decorate with the following materials:
- expensive wood elements;
- natural marble, granite and stone;
- tiles, mosaics, tiles;
- textured plaster.
There is a great variety of materials and each of them can be applied to your hearth, to give grace and beauty.
Materials of natural origin look great in any interior style. Wood decorates with its natural color and creates an atmosphere of warmth and comfort.
If you have a desire to decorate your fireplace with wooden inserts, make sure that they are as far as possible from the hearth, preferably 50 centimeters from the firebox.
Finishing with wood elements additionally decorates wood-burning fireplaces. It can be easily done by hand.
It is important to observe safety precautions! Wood must be treated with special protective agents, refractory and waterproof impregnations.
It should be remembered that you need to choose wood that is resistant to high temperatures, such as:
- the Red tree.
The design of the portal with wooden elements gives chic to your room. Wood is treated with a special impregnation that changes its structure, it becomes resistant to high temperatures.
Elements are processed in a certain way — chemicals are applied to them. Upon completion of the work performed, they receive a variety of invoices:
- under aging;
- under ivory.
If the fireplace is installed in a damp room, wood trim will not work, in this case MDF panels are the best material.
Facing the fireplace with marble is the dream of many homeowners. The design of portals with this mineral in our time is in demand in the same way as satellite dishes and air conditioners. Properly selected material for decoration plays an important role.
Marble of natural origin refers to refined and beautiful materials for decoration. The uniqueness of nature itself is present in this stone.
In past centuries, only noble people decorated fireplaces with a mineral. And today — such pleasure is available to an ordinary person. Marble symbolizes the greatness and virtue of mother nature.
The rock of natural stone — marble, is formed from dolomite or limestone.
- Mountain marble has an average density. Due to this property, it is easily processed, polished and perfectly polished.
- The glossy surface brings out the true beauty of natural stone.
- The mineral has a homogeneous structure, tolerates temperature extremes well.
- The water absorption of the stone is 0.5%, such qualities are ideal for facing the fireplace.
Consider the most common color varieties:
Light coloured. This type of mineral is called artistic, as it is used to make figurines.
Saturated snow-white color indicates that a variety of impurities are present in a minimal amount. The mineral has veins of various colors. This type of marble is easily processed, cut and polished.
Photograph of a white marble fireplace with prominent veins
Black. Refers to a volcanic rock. It contains a large amount of graphite or bitumen. Marble of black color with golden streaks or inclusions is most appreciated.
Photo of a black marble portal with gold veins
Lunar mineral — has a bluish — silver color, has the property of glowing from the inside. Very rare in nature.
Grey. The structure of the stone is divided into types, coarse-grained or fine-grained. In a gray mineral, dark and light blotches appear.
Photo of a gray portal
Green. This color of the mineral is formed due to the saturation of iron-containing silicates.
Photo of a green marble portal
Red. It is a rare variety of natural marble. A pronounced red tint is formed due to the presence of iron oxide in it.
Beige. The mineral contains limonite and manganese, their combination creates a pleasant and warm shade.
Pink. Saturated pink color of a mountain mineral, forms a large concentration of iron oxide
Blue. The color of such a mineral has the presence of blue veins, on a white or light background. The more veins, the richer the color.
Brown. The originality of this color is the presence in it of components consisting of iron carbonate, manganese, and the presence of concentrated limonite.
Advantages and disadvantages of mountain marble
The positive properties include:
- Marble has the property of plasticity, which makes it easy and efficient to process.
- It has a strong internal structure. Influencing it mechanically — cracks, breaks and delaminations are not formed.
Marble is processed: polished, cut, holes are made in it, while the mineral retains its structure and integrity.
The stone also has valuable properties:
- preserve its original beauty for decades;
- being in the open air, does not turn yellow;
- marble is resistant to sudden changes in temperature;
- retains its structure for many years;
- its crystal structure is resistant to chemicals.
As well as:
- The mineral is safe for humans; when exposed to high temperatures, it does not emit any chemicals.
- Its electrical conductivity is zero — it is antistatic.
- Natural mineral disinfects the air, its presence in the room neutralizes stagnant air, refreshing the room.
- Creates a microclimate comfortable for the person.
The mountain mineral has a varied structure and greatness of colors for finishing large areas. But at the same time, it becomes difficult to choose the same pattern for a uniform design. Each rock layer has its own texture and unique pattern created by veins of different colors.
Decorating a fireplace portal with granite
The granite mineral from which the fireplace portal is built emphasizes the high status of its owner.
The main properties include:
Portals built from natural granite look stylish and rich.
- The mineral, heated from the hearth, retains heat in your room for a long time.
According to the latest scientific data, it became known that granite has a natural radiation background. Therefore, it is not recommended to use it in a room where people constantly live.
Decorating a fireplace with natural stone.
Advantages of the stone
- Facing the fireplace with natural stone looks elegant and rich.
- Mountain stone perfectly tolerates temperature changes, high humidity, it is recommended to use it in any room.
- It is resistant to mechanical stress, therefore it is durable.
- When heated, it is non-toxic.
Disadvantages of natural stone
It is a pleasure to clad a portal with stone, but it is quite difficult to process it, because it is durable.
Portal decoration with artificial stone
Facing with artificial material has been used since ancient times. Imitation of natural material has a huge variety when choosing.
Advantages of artificial stones:
- The most important advantage of this material is its cost, it is much cheaper than natural.
- This material has a variety in the choice of shapes, which gives an excellent opportunity in the design of any fireplace design.
The valuable properties of this material include the following indicators:
- Since it is treated with various impregnations, its moisture resistance increases.
- This stone is strong, able to withstand different pressures.
- Under the influence of fire retains its structure and shape.
- Pretty easy to install.
Artificial stone is divided into the following types:
- gypsum stone;
- flexible stone.
Gypsum stone decor, often found when decorating a fireplace. It is made under sandstone, marble and other material.
Acrylic material is more durable and stronger than gypsum. It is produced in various ways so that different surface shapes are available. The material is used at constant temperature fluctuations and high humidity.
Flexible artificial facing material for stone is made thanks to granite or marble chips, nowadays it is considered very popular. Outwardly, it looks amazing and without examination it is difficult to distinguish it from natural stone.
Fireplace cladding with flexible sandstone
Nowadays, a very common type of finish, as it is easily glued and convenient to use. It is glued not to cement mortar, but to tile adhesive.
Flexible sandstone is cut from thin layers of rock material and treated with chemicals that give it elasticity.
- The service life of this material is at least 20 years.
- It is fireproof and does not emit toxic substances.
- Its surface is moisture resistant and practical.
- It is cleaned in a simple way, with water and rags.
Portal decoration with tiles
The fireplace looks original, has an unusual appearance. When decorating it, they use glossy or matte tiles, with a variety of patterns and a relief surface.
A tile differs from a tile in that it is made with a box-shaped ledge called a rumpa. Thanks to this element, fastening to the surface of the structure is carried out.
Tile — its basis is ceramic material, and since it is burnt clay, it tends to heat up and give off heat to the room for a long time.
Inner side of tile fixing
The outside of a tiled fireplace
Facing the portal with mosaics
The basis for creating a mosaic includes different materials. The most common and popular — ceramic elements «chips». These are small squares that are produced in the same way as tiles. They are pressed, fired and glazed. They also produce porcelain stoneware mosaics.
By tradition, ceramic mosaics are completed with square-shaped elements. Their surface may vary, that is, be
To veneer a freshly laid brick fireplace with mosaics, it must first be plastered so that the surface is even.
Varieties of mosaic
Facing the portal with tiles
The following materials are used for cladding:
- Majolica (the tile has a pattern, is covered with glaze);
- Terracotta (ceramic tiles without glaze);
- Clinker (thick ceramic tile, consists of clay with additives);
- Porcelain stoneware (it is close in properties to natural stone).
Ceramic tiles, like any brick, are made of clay. It is advantageous to veneer with this material, because it retains the heat capacity well and forms the rigidity of the surface. The decorative coating, when exposed to high temperatures, is preserved — such a lining is durable.
To decorate the fireplace, choose a variety of ceramic tiles, which are suitable for cost, colors and shapes.
When choosing the size of the material, the shape of the fireplace should be taken into account.
Large-sized ceramics are much easier to lay than small ones, but it should be remembered that it is more difficult to process and prepare for laying on the portal.
If the portal is of exquisite shape, then there will be a lot of waste from a large tile.
Making a fireplace with decorative plaster
Decorating the “bark beetle” on the surface of the fireplace began simultaneously with the advent of decorative fireplaces.
This material is divided into several types:
Acrylic based. It contains acrylic resins. They have low vapor permeability and resist the effects of the external environment.
Mineral-based — in this mixture, the main element is cement. It is resistant to external influences.
Silicone-based mineral — liquid glass. Silicone resins are well resistant to external effects of precipitation and various contaminants.
By familiarizing yourself with the different types of fireplace mantels, you can decorate your hearth to match your home’s decor and make it the center of attention.
Be creative in decorating your hearth and create unique masterpieces!