It happens that in a dwelling or on a site it is necessary to add a tie-in point to the water supply network. This is a small problem if a local connection is required, for example, to power a washing machine or connect a shower. Even a non-specialist can do such work if the necessary tools and basic knowledge of handling them are available.
Another thing is if you need to connect a house or a new building to the main water supply. In this case, you will have to work with a system in which it is impossible to turn off the water pressure and the tie-in into the main water supply pipe will have to be carried out under pressure. Both cases have their own implementation features and implementation rules. Let’s consider them in detail.
The main stages of tapping into a domestic water supply
The main difference between the procedure for connecting to a local water supply is the absence of the need for coordination with various authorities. You can calculate the necessary materials and carry out the installation yourself or entrust this process to specialists. What should be done:
- Determine the connection point.
- Shut off the water pressure in the system.
- Install a clamp or cut the pipeline at the connection point.
- Install the locking device.
- Connect a new node.
- Create maximum pressure in the system and check the tightness of the joints.
The last paragraph of the rules must also be made after the connection was made by the invited master. Moreover, it is better to do it in his presence.
The main stages of tapping into the main water supply
It is possible to start work on tie-in into the main pipeline only after the coordination of all stages in the relevant authorities. If work on connecting an additional circuit is carried out without permission, then the owner of the premises or site will face an administrative penalty in the form of a rather impressive fine. In addition, the relevant authorities may require dismantling of illegal tie-in.
The determining factor for choosing the method of inserting into the pipeline is the material from which the network is made. Today, the most popular basis for performance are polymers. In addition, plumbing may consist of metal and cast iron products. Each case has its own exclusive tie-in methods, but there are also general rules:
- To drill holes, an attacking tool is used, the diameter of which absolutely corresponds to the inner diameter of the pipe being cut.
- The pipe of the additional circuit must necessarily have a smaller diameter than on the main network.
- To prevent leakage from the hole made, special clamps are used. They are different for each case and are selected depending on the material from which the pipeline is made.
There are only 2 ways to connect the connected pipes to the leading pipeline under pressure: using clamps and welding. The second method is recognized as more reliable and durable, but cannot always be used due to the material used or connection conditions. For example, metal pipes cannot be welded if it is not possible to shut off the water and drain the liquid from the system.
Connection to a pipeline made of polymer pipes
If you have to connect to the water supply from metal-plastic pipes, then the procedure should be as follows:
- Provide access to the highway. To have access to the network at the connection point, you will need to dig a pit, at least 1.5 meters in diameter. This is necessary to comply with safety regulations and ensure ease of use.
- Dig a trench in the direction where the outlet thread will be laid.
Outlet arrangement. To connect polymer pipes, as a rule, special clamps are used — saddles, electric-welded type, collapsible. Such a device is equipped with electrical wiring with a heating coil, a cutter for drilling a pipe and a valve. Information on how to use the product correctly (duration of welding time and subsequent cooling) is always applied by the manufacturer on the saddle of the clamp.
- The device is fixed with bolts on the water pipe. With a special welding device, the clamp is welded to the connected pipe by exposure to heat from the electric coil. After cooling, the connection acquires strength and reliability. The average service life of saddles is about half a century.
- The place for making a hole is ready. Now you need to use the cutter and connect an additional conduit circuit.
Due to the specifics of the object, minor changes are possible in the order of carrying out these works, but they are not capable of greatly changing the algorithm of action.
Insertion into the water supply from cast-iron pipes
Here the procedure will be somewhat different. This is due to the properties of the source material: hardness and brittleness. Cast iron, of course, is harder than metal-plastic, although it is also not subject to corrosion, but due to its low level of ductility, it can burst from excessive physical impact. Given this, it is necessary to crash into a water pipe, taking into account the following points:
- We are preparing access to the leading pipeline. We dig a pit at the connection point and provide free access. We clean the place where the breakdown is planned from dirt and rust. It is best to do this with a grinder to also remove the outer layer of hardened metal.
- At the puncture site, on the main pipe, we mount a collapsible saddle clamp. It is recommended to lay a rubber seal under it to seal the docking station and ensure a snug fit of the clamp over the entire working surface.
- The outlet part of the saddle serves as the basis for the shut-off valve, which is not only a barrier to incoming water, but also a wire channel for introducing a breakdown.
- Hole drilling is carried out with special crowns, selected according to the desired diameter. Several crowns will be required, because. due to the rigidity of the metal, they become dull rather quickly. The puncture site must be constantly cooled with water to prevent cracks from appearing.
When the hole is made, it is necessary to remove the crown and block the incoming water. Now you can safely mount the outlet profile to the intended object.
Installation on steel pipes
Tapping into a steel pipeline is not so difficult due to the fact that the starting material is more ductile than cast iron, but no less durable. The main attention should be paid to removing rust at the joints. Here, it is optimal to use welding to connect pipes, but otherwise the process technology is similar to other types of installation.
- A recess is prepared at the site of the tie-in point, providing enough free space for work.
- The tie-in point is carefully cleaned of rust and prepared for welding in the usual way.
- A branch pipe cut from any type of structural steel is butt welded to the main pipe.
- After welding, the joint must be checked for tightness. This is easy to do by lubricating the seam from the inside with kerosene, and from the outside with simple chalk. If the seam does not work out, then oil stains will appear on the outside. Microcracks must be eliminated, otherwise uninterrupted water supply will not be possible.
- To drill a hole through a branch pipe, a flanged or threaded valve is installed on its end. The hole can first be drilled with a hand drill, but only finished by hand.
Connecting the external circuit to the leading pipe is carried out in the same way as described above.
Important! After completing the installation work, it is necessary to carefully check the tightness of all joints and connections and only then bury the trench.
Testing and adjusting the pressure in the water supply
Checking the water supply for integrity and ability to maintain a given pressure level is the final stage of the entire tie-in process. To check the quality of newly created connections, it is necessary to carry out the following activities:
- Fill the entire system with water, remove air plugs, which inevitably appeared due to a violation of the tightness of the water supply. To do this, you need to release excess air through open taps. If an automatic air valve is provided in the plumbing system, then he will cope with this problem.
- Determine the water pressure at the work site and at the outlet of the system. The difference should not be more than 0.5-0.8 atmospheres. The total pressure in the water supply network for low-rise buildings should be — 1.5-2.8 atmospheres.
- It must be remembered that some household equipment has an operating mode — from 4 atmospheres, so the local water supply should calmly respond even to 4.5 atmospheres.
- After the water supply is completely filled with liquid, and the air plugs are removed, it is necessary to connect the supercharger and raise the pressure to 6 atmospheres for a period of one hour. Now you should again check the tightness of the connections, both new and old. If there is no leak anywhere, then the tie-in procedure was successful.
Attention! Ensuring that the pressure level in the water supply network is maintained is a decisive factor in the design, installation and operation of the pipeline. Excessive or insufficient pressure can lead to both the breakdown of household appliances and the failure of the entire water supply system.
Connection to a domestic water supply does not require approvals and permissions from third-party authorities. Tapping into the main pipeline without permission can result in significant fines and administrative penalties.
Connecting to water pipes of various types has some nuances, but basically they are technologically similar, not very complicated and accessible even to an inexperienced «plumber».
The main task during installation, insertion and operation is to ensure pressure in the network in order to avoid equipment breakdowns and structural destruction.