To ensure the normal functioning of water heating and plumbing, it is recommended to install an air valve in the system when arranging it. This device is designed to remove air from the system or its individual elements. Another name for the part is an air vent. By putting it in the water supply or heating system, you can stabilize its operation. It will also turn out to protect it from oxygen drops and its transition to a free state.
Technical parameters and functionality of air valves
In order for the water supply and heating system to function properly, the masters recommend installing an air valve. This device allows you to protect the water supply from the accumulation of free air, therefore, it will protect it from breakdowns. The presence of air bubbles, pockets, and vacuum contribute to the appearance of damage. Depending on the type of air vent, its functionality will change, but the technical parameters remain the same:
- Material. The main raw material for production is nickel-plated brass. Sometimes manufacturers use bronze, but the products are rare and have a high cost.
- Installation features. The air vent must be installed at the highest point of the heating or water supply system.
- The maximum pressure for heating pipes is 10 bar.
- The temperature of the working environment is from 100 to 120 degrees.
- The outlet fitting can be located on the top or on the side.
- The diameter of the connection pipes is ½, ¾, 1 inch or 3/8.
- Models can be angular and straight.
- The float inside the structure is made of polypropylene or Teflon.
- The service life of parts reaches 30 years.
Air valves are small devices that can be independently mounted into the system. They perform the function of removing air from the pipes, preventing the accumulation of air pockets.
The principle of operation is based on the application of the gravity force of the float. If the float is in the raised position, the valve will be closed. If the tap is opened, the float will drop. Inside, the design contains a rocker, which is connected to a spring-loaded spool. When air enters the system, the float begins to shrink downward, the spool opens, providing an outlet for the accumulated gases to escape. In the principle of operation of the air valve, it can be observed how, as the air escapes, the body is filled with water, and the spool closes automatically.
There is a protective cap on the fitting — it serves as a fuse against heat loss in case of possible malfunctions. The cap also protects against dust and dirt, preventing them from getting inside the system when air is released. For example, an automatic air valve controls the air release itself. It can operate at temperatures from -10 to +110 degrees, so it is installed both in the water supply system and in the heating system.
The main types of air vents
Automatic air valves allow you to remove accumulated gases in pipes, preventing them from malfunctioning. There are 3 types of air vents on sale — lever, membrane and cylindrical.
The lever mechanism located inside the structure is more sensitive to contamination of the working environment. The device is considered productive, it is used on pipelines and heating systems that use water.
The traditional lever air vent consists of:
- brass body;
- hollow plastic float moving inside;
- rocker, which is pivotally connected to the float;
- an elastomeric spool located at the end of the rocker arm;
- spring-loaded spring;
- fixed clip;
- lever mechanism.
As the water level drops, the float begins to descend and pulls the lever along with it. That, in turn, opens the oval outlet. Through this process, excess air is expelled. Such devices are considered common and are suitable for a water supply or heating system.
Membrane type aerators are made from polyvinyl chloride. The most common use case is the entry into the system, where it is necessary to get rid of excess air and air pockets, as well as to prevent pressure drops. Some craftsmen suggest using a bypass valve that maintains the pressure of the medium at the required level. This happens due to the bypass through the pipeline branch. The resulting air will not be able to enter the system again due to the closing of the hole by the membrane.
The air vent of a cylindrical design has an elongated shape. Such models are often produced automatically, in their device there is a float in the form of a cylinder. Models have a side or direct connection, in their structure there is a body with a cover, a float, a jet and a spool. At the bottom there is a shut-off valve, through which the product is connected to the plumbing or heating system. A sealing ring must be present in the design to protect it from leaks.
Types of locking mechanism
All existing heating air valves, sewerage or water supply can be divided according to the design of the locking mechanism. There are such types:
- Swivel. Models are fixed on the pipeline thanks to the tie-in. A spool or lever is used to control the air flow. When there is a strong flow of air, the spool makes a turn, the air passes. This type is considered safe and reliable.
- Ball. Such valves are convenient to use on pipes of small diameter. The mechanism consists of a ball and a spring, they control the flow of water and air. It is appropriate to use devices on the system in front of a washbasin or shower.
- Lifting. If a vertical riser with a wide pipe diameter is installed in the apartment, then the lifting type of the locking mechanism will come in handy. The essence of the work is to change the position of the membrane made of polyvinyl chloride. The flow lifts the fixture from below, but reliable fasteners hold it back from lifting back.
- Wafer type. A small wafer type air valve is mounted with a thread, can be used on plastic or metal plumbing. Flexible membrane is the working part of the mechanism, its position changes under the influence of water flow.
A large selection of air valves can be found in plumbing supply stores. The buyer needs to decide in advance what type of product is needed for installation in the plumbing, sewerage or heating system.
Air Valve Applications
Devices are commonly used in sewerage, heating, and water supply systems. The main task of the valves is to prevent air from entering the pipes, and if it does end up there, to remove it, ensuring the system functions normally without interruptions and breakdowns.
This valve is used in the following situations:
- If the plumbing is located far from the common riser.
- If the sewer is not provided with normal ventilation.
- If the system has a predisposition to volley pressure relief.
The air valve will protect the pipeline from breakdowns, because it will help stabilize the air pressure. A variety of models will allow you to upgrade the system. The use of a kinetic air valve ensures that no vacuum is created. It is used to let air in and out of the system before it is filled with fluid. The use of motorized air valves will help not to control the process of changing the air flow, since the device will do everything on its own.
Advantages of using the device
Before you install an air-type valve for water or heating, you need to understand the main advantages of all models. The main advantage of using products will be the timely prevention of system failure, because the design will not allow air to disrupt the normal functioning of the pipeline. Another bonus is the prevention of odors from the sewer pipe, but this also requires the organization of normal supply ventilation in the apartment.
Installing an aerator allows you to save on possible subsequent repairs and allows you not to take the ventilation stack outside. You can use such valves on the heating system and plumbing. The device ensures stable uninterrupted operation of all systems.
Basic installation rules
You will need a compensating pipe, a clamp, couplings, a tool for cutting pipes. If the valve is installed in a new sewer, then no tools are needed — everything is done manually.
- shut off the water supply in the system;
- make a cut on the selected section of the pipe;
- remove a section of pipeline that is identical in size to the valve;
- install the air valve and secure it with clamps;
- fill all joints with sealant;
- check the system: open the heating valves and fill the pipes with liquid, checking them for leaks.
When installing the device in the sewer, it is necessary to connect the water supply and drain the tank several times. The valve is adjusted manually, and if the device is equipped with an electric shutter, the process occurs automatically.
With self-assembly, many apartment owners make mistakes. For example, they do not clean the joints with the pipe before installation, which leads to accumulation of waste. One of the omissions is the presence of a chamfer, which must be removed before assembling the socket connections. Do not forget that the air valve must be mounted at the highest point of the system.