The constant increase in the cost of energy carriers forces the owners of garages to look for more profitable ways of heating so that the operation of the premises is year-round. Garage air heating is one such way, thanks to which a comfortable temperature is formed exclusively in the most visited areas, which reduces the amount of fuel consumed. The system consists directly of a thermal energy generator, as well as pipes and air ducts through which heated air reaches workplaces.
In order for the air to be distributed as evenly as possible over the volume of the room, distribution heads, tees, elbows, flow regulators, grilles, etc. are used. An alternative is the use of heat guns. Quite dangerous, constant ventilation is required, oxygen is burned. However, this scheme deserves later separate consideration.
Basic principles and features
So, we will try to evaluate in more detail the features of the functioning of such a system. The heat generator is a liquid or gas device, the design of which implies the possibility of automated temperature control. The owners need to remember that the air technique implies a low degree of inertia, that is, a comfortable temperature is achieved with minimal time.
Before installing a heat generator, you should think about additional thermal insulation of the garage. Eliminating gaps, lining walls with special heat-insulating panels, sealing window frames and doorways — all these measures help to neutralize drafts, eliminate “leaks” of heated air, which saves fuel, and there is no need for constant operation of equipment at full capacity.
Before buying equipment, it is necessary to accurately select the necessary modifications by conducting preliminary calculations. The following factors are taken into account:
- The total area of the garage, the number of floors are determined, heat losses are calculated separately for each of the premises (practice shows that, subject to sufficient thermal insulation, about 800 W of power should fall on 10 square meters of area).
- The optimal type of heater is determined so that its power fully compensates for all energy leaks.
- Air ducts are calculated so that the diameters of the channels correspond to the performance of the fan, there are no obstacles that can weaken the flow or change the optimal vector of its movement.
Heater selection and system equipment
Any boiler that has the functions of automatic switching on, switching off and temperature control in a given range can be used as the main source of energy. Thus, it is worth choosing based on the cheapest coolant specifically in your area.
Gas is suitable for a large garage (if there is a highway nearby, then you should immediately start resolving issues related to obtaining permits, this method is the most economical), electricity for a small room. If you live in a rural area, then a solid fuel boiler is also well suited, assuming the possibility of adjusting the intensity of the flame.
Do-it-yourself air efficient garage heating is organized on the basis of the following instructions:
- The necessary items are purchased. Air ducts, a set of throttle valves, mounting tape, insulation, screws, aluminum-based adhesive tape — the necessary minimum. If we talk about the material of the air ducts, then it is selected in accordance with the type and power of the boiler. For low power systems, easy-to-install flexible options are suitable, but if you want to reduce resistance, it is better to stay on straight smooth pipes.
- The boiler is installed. If we are talking about a gas model, then it is worth attracting a professional, the installation of other devices can be done on our own.
- Installation of air ducts. In a situation where the purchase of an air conditioner is also planned, the pipes must be insulated to prevent condensation. The main pipe is based on galvanized steel, the insulation is carried out with a special material about 5 millimeters thick. The main methods for connecting individual pipes to each other can also be found in the video. As a rule, mounting tape, clamps based on galvanized steel cope well with this task.
Positive and negative sides
The benefits of choosing are as follows:
- The efficiency reaches 93 percent, which is significantly higher than many analogues.
- There are no intermediate links for the transfer of thermal energy, that is, radiators. This saves temperature, and also simplifies and reduces the cost of construction.
- Fault tolerance. Air is used as a coolant, that is, pipes cannot freeze and burst, as is the case with water modifications.
- Possibility of synchronized use of the heating and air conditioning system, due to which optimal microclimatic conditions are achieved.
- Minimum inertia, due to which the required temperature is reached in a matter of minutes.
If we talk about the cons, they are less numerous. Air drying. You will have to regularly inspect your garage for clogged air ducts and ventilate the room, preventive maintenance is an essential element of efficient and long work. The system does not imply the possibility of further modernization, in addition, it is dependent on electricity, with the help of which, for example, fans work.
The method described above is optimal for a garage that is used regularly, used as a workshop or even for recreation. If the object is used from time to time, then there is no need for equipment of such a complex scheme, a simpler heating device, a heat gun, is also suitable. This mobile unit is simply plugged into a standard power grid (gas or diesel alternatives are also available) and sent to the area in need of heating. In a matter of minutes, the temperature in it will be comfortable. The units vary in power, type of fuel and dimensions; small models can easily be carried in the trunk of a car. Danger: When using gas or diesel appliances, carbon monoxide is formed — at the slightest suspicion, it is necessary to ventilate.
Thus, the garage can easily be turned into an object used all year round, even in the absence of central heating. It is enough just to competently approach the choice of the system, which eliminates unnecessary financial costs, all equipment works smoothly and efficiently.