Heating is an important issue that every owner of a house or cottage faces. In addition to the choice of equipment, it is necessary to determine the heating fluid. Increasingly, people are thinking about using oil rather than water for their home heating system. There are many opinions regarding this issue, which we will try to understand.
Heating is important
The issue of heating arises even during the design of a new house. Sometimes it appears when changing the operating mode. So, for example, a person could buy a country house for himself, in which the previous owners visited only in warm weather. Now he intends to visit it in late autumn and winter. What to do? Do not stay in a cold room? The answer is obvious — heating. It is important to choose which one and with which coolant. It depends on many factors.
Most try to use water in their system, as it is the cheapest and most energy-intensive heat carrier. Moreover, if the temperature drops below zero, it will freeze. As a result, the system will have to be warmed up, and at best, some burst pipes will have to be welded. At worst, change the entire system, including the boiler. This situation is not only unpleasant, but also costly.
Therefore, in winter, special additives are used for water to prevent freezing. They are different, ranging from liquid with mineral salt, and ending with alcohol. Each has its own positive and negative qualities. But still, none of them can be called ideal. It is in connection with this that many people think not about what to add to the water, but what to replace it with.
Oil as heat transfer medium
As many people know, oil has a much lower freezing threshold than the same water. Therefore, there are ideas to use it in the heating system. As with everything, it has its advantages and disadvantages.
Waste oil in the heating system has a lot of advantages:
- In winter, the liquid will not freeze. Unless the temperature in the house drops to -35 degrees Celsius. Agree, this is unlikely to happen.
- It doesn’t matter how long the negative temperature lasts — it does not affect the oil in any way. You can turn on the boiler and start heating the room at any time.
- Low volatility due to the structure.
- There is no need to additionally pour in any additives so that the coolant does not freeze.
- The oil has high anti-corrosion properties. Therefore, there is no need to flush the system frequently.
- Has high thermal stability.
Despite the obvious advantages of this type of coolant, there are still a number of disadvantages:
- The need for filtration before infusion into the system. The fact is that usually mining is a mixture of many oils of different brands and viscosities. In addition, it contains third-party components in the form of dirt and metal. The cleaning process of a considerable volume can cost a large amount.
- Availability of the required quantity. At the moment, there are no companies that are engaged in the targeted collection and purification of oil for future infusion into heating systems. Therefore, finding a sufficient amount of the desired consistency will be problematic.
- High fire hazard. In the event of leakage, there is a possibility of ignition. True, for this, the liquid must come into direct contact with an open source of fire.
- It is unacceptable to use a boiler with direct heating.
- Replacing all rubber gaskets and connectors with oil-resistant ones, which will be more difficult to find, since conventional heating systems are not equipped with them. In addition, their purchase can cost a large amount.
Before pouring used oil into the system, it is important to check many nuances that will affect the operation and comfort of residents in the future.
So, it is known that this coolant is fluid, even in the cold. But for conventional heating — this is not enough. Warm and cooled oil have significantly different viscosities. Therefore, the pipes in the system must have the same diameter. And sometimes on the return taps you can make it bigger. The fact is that the boiler itself heats up quickly, but at the same time it does not have time to push the oil. In this case, even boiling is possible.
It is also important to think in advance about the size of the expansion tank. In water systems, 10% of the total liquid volume is usually taken. With oil, things are a little more complicated, because when heated, it expands more than H2O. Despite this, the level in the system still needs to be checked from time to time and topped up if necessary. In such designs, it is recommended to install tanks with a size of 30% of the total volume.
A particularly important condition in the matter of heating a house with used and already purified oil is tightness. In most cases, the first time it is not possible to completely avoid leaks. It is considered ideal in such places to apply a new weld, since gaskets and similar elements do not solve the situation. After that, the system starts up and is checked for complete tightness — in places where there are even microscopic holes, small drops appear. In this case, it is advisable to drain all the oil and digest problem areas. In this case, you need to repeat the procedure until the system is completely corrected.
Be sure to pay attention to all connecting threads. It is very important that they are of high quality, especially when serving. Otherwise, when heated, small drops may appear on them. And sometimes the connection will even leak. At the same time, it will be difficult to seal such a joint. You can immediately say that it will not be possible to solve the problem with tow or fumlent. In some cases, specialized sealants that can withstand temperatures up to 400 degrees help.
Generally speaking, the use of oil in the heating system allows you to leave the room for a long time in any weather. And there is no need to worry about her hypothermia. In addition, using this coolant, you can heat batteries to high temperatures without fear of system failure. But, like everywhere else, there are positives and negatives.