There are so many conflicting recommendations and instructions that describe how a water heated floor system should generally be connected. If we accumulate the general postulates of heating specialists, then the presence of a circulation pump will be a prerequisite. At the same time, there is not much difference in the type of heating main — circulation, gravity, one-pipe or two-pipe. The pump must be able to overcome the considerable hydraulic resistance created by the underfloor heating circuit.
How to connect a warm floor to the heating system
Connecting a warm floor to a radiator type heating system can be arranged using the so-called “local floor heating connection module”. The required module is available, both purchased in a ready-made, assembled form by visiting a specialized store, or made independently.
- Connection to a two-pipe radiator heating system. The easiest option to implement is to install floor pipes and cut them into the circuit. You can crash both with the help of the module, and simply by using two ball valves. The main thing is not to get confused and follow the order of connecting the supply-return.
- A tie-in to a single-pipe scheme, commonly referred to as “Leningradka”. The implementation is as simple as in a two-pipe circuit. The underfloor heating supply is fed after the circulation pump, and the return line is brought into the pipe in front of the pump. The floor temperature is controlled by a valve in the floor heating circuit.
- Warm floor heating system gravitational. Quite a difficult option due to the lack of forced pumping of the coolant. The slope of the pipelines involves cutting the floor at the beginning of the room, where the horizontal level is higher, and the output of the return at the end of the room — there is a lower absolute level. The complexity of the process is very high and it is not a fact that the efforts expended will lead to the desired result. In eighty percent of cases, it becomes necessary to use an additional pump to pump liquid into the warm floor. And since you still need to buy additional equipment, it will be much more efficient to transfer the entire system to forced circulation.
How does underfloor heating work from a heating boiler
The range of work that needs to be done to power the warm floor from the heating boiler is no different from that when cutting into a centralized route. You only need to pay attention to the following factors:
- Presence of a security group. If it is absent in the design of the boiler, then the group will need to be installed in accordance with the design standards for heating networks.
- Insertion of the collector node. This element will allow you to distribute the coolant flow between the radiators and the underfloor heating in the required proportion.
- Installing a circulation pump. If it is not built into the boiler, then you will have to spend some money on the purchase, which guarantees the efficiency of heat supply and its uniform distribution throughout all rooms of the building.
Nuance — any modifications carried out on central heating must be agreed and accompanied by a certain set of documents, one of which is an approved and agreed design solution. Buying a boiler will be an expensive pleasure, but it will allow you to avoid many troubles with licensing authorities.
Design features and choice of materials
In order to fully experience the effect of the implementation, you need to take care, first of all, of the choice of high-quality materials — from a heat insulator to a floor covering.
A good heat insulator will help minimize heat loss through leakage into the structural elements of the building, and high-quality floor pipes will guarantee long-term, trouble-free operation. Finishing the floor also costs a lot of money and dismantling, due to the ridiculous leakage due to a factory defect of cheap Chinese products, will negate most of the effort spent.
Due to the fact that the laying technology is quite complex, it does not make much sense to consider the nuances and professional subtleties. It would be much better to entrust this work to experienced installers who are experts in their field.
Tips & Tricks
It is imperative to implement a bypass for underfloor heating, which allows you to cut off the faulty part of the circuit without stopping the boiler. In this case, it is possible to carry out repairs without leaving the whole house without heat, which is especially important in winter.
Carefully study the system on which you plan to make a warm floor. This determines the minimum required diameter of the pipes used for laying in the floor. The lower the circulation possibility of the route, the larger the diameter should be to reduce the hydraulic resistance.
Due to the high temperature of the coolant at the outlet of the boiler, the use of plastic pipes for cold water supply is unacceptable. It is necessary to proceed from the calculation of 90 degrees Celsius as the maximum value.