Heating in the garage has long ceased to be an unusual phenomenon. The reason for this is quite simple — in many European regions, the climatic conditions are such that at night the temperature reaches extremely low levels, the engine of the car is very cold, the oil thickens, rubber and rubber parts lose their elasticity. It is extremely difficult to warm up the car after such an “overnight stay”, you will have to burn a lot of gasoline, spend a lot of time. Moreover, the locks can freeze, so even getting into a vehicle is sometimes difficult. The way out of the situation can be gas heating of the garage, thanks to which the temperature will be maintained around the clock at sufficient levels of 5–10 degrees.
When choosing a heating technique, many motorists think about buying electrical devices — convectors and heat guns. This choice is justified from the point of view of operational convenience, just connect the device to the network and wait a while until the desired temperature is reached. However, in terms of efficiency, the method is extremely doubtful, and if there are problems with the reliability of the power grid, then it is dangerous. If a gas main passes near the garage, then heating the garage with gas is the most rational and justified option.
What should you prepare for?
The main advantage of operating gas equipment is the democratic cost of fuel. However, some difficulties must be kept in mind:
- Installation problems. Not everywhere there is a real opportunity to connect to the fuel intake line. Of course, there is an alternative in the form of liquefied gas cylinders, but this technique will inevitably lead to increased costs.
- For installation, it is necessary to involve specialists of the relevant services, these are the safety requirements. It will not do without obtaining numerous permits.
- In some situations, the boiler is installed exclusively in a separately equipped boiler room or, at least, in a special reinforced metal cabinet (according to the fire protection regulations, cylinders with liquefied fuel are stored in it).
We use the boiler
The classic method for heating a garage is to install a boiler that heats the coolant circulating through the pipes. Boilers are divided into two categories:
- Standard. During operation, part of the steam and combustion products are thrown into the chimney, due to which a certain percentage of thermal energy is lost.
- Condenser. The design change makes it possible to retain the outgoing steam, condense it, that is, use its energy to increase the temperature of the coolant, which improves efficiency and reduces fuel consumption.
As pipes, it is recommended to use modern metal-plastic models that are resistant to corrosion, flexible, easy to install. Fittings are used to connect individual sections to each other. Batteries are also fixed quite easily, you just need to purchase reliable dowels.
It should be remembered that for the installation of the unit, the room must meet certain requirements:
- The minimum ceiling height is 2 meters, the area is 4 squares;
- It is mandatory to have a ventilation system that works both for extracting and for supplying fresh air;
- A window with an area of u200bu200bone square meter is required;
- For the construction of walls, materials are used that do not support combustion or prevent it;
- A doorway 80 cm wide or more with a door that opens outward.
Water or steam?
The traditional method assumes that water is used as a heat carrier, but there is a technique where it is replaced by steam. The principle of operation is that the boiler produces the necessary volumes of steam, which enters the radiators through pipes. During the cooling process, the steam condenses and enters the boiler again. Compared with the water method, the technique is characterized by the following advantages:
- The allowable value of pipe diameter and battery area is reduced, which saves money;
- The room heats up more evenly, it is possible to avoid the formation of “dead” zones;
- Heating is noticeably faster.
Of course, there are certain disadvantages, in particular, the steam boiler is quite noisy during operation, and there is also no possibility to smoothly regulate the heating.
Also, do not forget to read the main article about do-it-yourself steam garage heating.
Instead of a boiler, a gas gun can also be used. In fact, it is completely identical to the thermal electric model, but gas is used as an energy source, which is much more economical. The principle of its operation is as simple as possible. A cylinder with liquefied fuel is connected to the structure, the combustion process begins with the release of heat, and a small integrated fan quickly distributes energy throughout the room.
The advantage of this technology lies not only in the fact that both gas and the gas burner itself cost a little, but also in the ability to heat even a fairly large room in a matter of minutes. The disadvantage is in the combustion of oxygen, as well as in the emission of combustion products directly into the air of the room. Thus, for safe use, ventilation issues must first be resolved.
The modern market offers two types of designated device:
- catalytic technology. The combustion process takes place inside ceramic honeycombs, the heat is evenly distributed throughout the room. The improvement of the ceramic element has significantly increased operational safety, neutralization of 90 percent of the waste generated during fuel combustion is recorded.
- Technique with an infrared gas heater. The design is identical to the first option, but the bulk of the combustion products are in the room, so ventilation is indispensable.
Features and Conclusions
So, the use of gas fuel is an ideal option in terms of financial savings if you have the ability to connect to the highway. Using balloons is a completely different matter. On average, the consumption is 2–3 cylinders weekly, that is, you will have to regularly change them, buy them, equip the storage area in accordance with the requirements of the fire department. All this, in the end, equalizes the cost with electrical technology.
Nevertheless, if you are ready for the preparatory stages, have the technical ability to install a gas boiler, and want to get a circuit that will be resistant to failures regardless of the intensity of the load and external conditions, choose gas!