Products made from modern polymeric materials have characteristics that make it possible to use them in water and heat supply systems for residential buildings and industrial premises.
Due to the presence of special stabilizing additives in the composition of the polymer, the materials are resistant to water hammer and pressure drops. The reinforced polypropylene system will not receive any damage during defrosting.
Advantages of polypropylene pipes
The main advantages of this material:
- heat resistance from + 95 °C (ordinary pipes) to 175 °C (reinforced);
- low thermal conductivity;
- long service life;
- anti-corrosion properties;
- environmental friendliness of the composition;
- lack of salt and lime deposits.
Another definite advantage is connection strength.
Use in the installation of structures of materials of the same group allows you to create a monolithic connection.
A light weight polypropylene (PP) products and elementary assembly make it possible to quickly and silently do welding with your own hands, even for a beginner.
What we are working on. Tools
Apparatus for welding, in the common people — “soldering iron” or “iron”. Works from the mains with standard voltage (220 V). Power up to 1500 V.
Consists of a heating element (xiphoid mandrel), to which are attached sleeves (nozzles) with teflon coating. Equipped with heating temperature controller and switch.
Comfortable handle makes it possible to carry out the process of welding parts in almost any position.
Replaceable nozzles, different diameters — sold either as a set with a device for welding, or separately. With the help of a hex wrench, they are easily attached to the mandrel.
Pipe shears. Blades of scissors are made of high quality steel. With their help, you can make an even cut without spending a lot of effort.
Conventional scissors are used to work with pipes whose diameter does not exceed 32 mm. For products with a larger diameter, it is necessary to purchase a special model of the cutting tool — pipe cutter.
Shaver (or trimmer) — double-sided device for removing reinforcement. When soldering reinforced elements, it is necessary to remove the outer protective layer for better welding of surfaces.
Externally, the shaver has the same holes as the clutch, and inside there are sharp steel knives. Trimmers for polypropylene pipes are available in different diameters: their numerical values are similar to pipe diameters.
beveler — a hand tool for stripping the contour of plastic rags.
When using special scissors for cutting pipes, the beveler is rarely usedbut its presence is necessary in the event of your debut in the field of plumbing.
Building level. With it, you can center the elements to be welded, as well as correctly mount the finished structure.
Hammer drill, drill or screwdriver. For fastening the soldered system to the wall using special clamps.
Installation instructions and rules
Special fittings are used as connecting elements for welding:
They come in different diameters and configurations, completely made of plastic or with metal inserts in the form of internal and external threaded elements, union nuts.
Drawing up a work plan is the first and most important step. Having sketched out a diagram of the future water supply, you can count the fittings with great accuracy, as well as reduce the amount of welding by weight.
Drawing a diagramtry to minimize the bends of the finished structure in order to reduce the hydraulic resistance to the movement of water.
To learn how to prepare a work plan and develop a scheme for laying a water pipe in a house, see the video:
Purchase of material. Pipes and fittings must be purchased with a margin. There is a high probability that the work will not go as expected and some of the material will be corrupted, or in the process you will want to slightly change the system configuration.
Tool preparation. The cost of the apparatus for welding and related devices is not so high.
If the budget allows, take care of the purchase: it will come in handy for you and your friends can be helped out.
If there is no financial opportunity to invest in an instrument that is rarely used — rent a device.
All work must be carried out at an air temperature above 0 °C.
- Cut the pipe with scissors.
- Before welding the joints must be wiped with alcohol, degreasing the surface.
- We select and install the necessary heating sleeves.
- Welding machine install on a special stand and turn on the network.
- Temperature at 260 °C – optimal for good quality soldering. Less heat will result in poor adhesion of parts.
- The maximum that can be set is 280 ° C.
- Depth of inserting parts it will be difficult for a beginner to determine by eye on a sleeve. To do this, use a marker or pencil. For pipes with a diameter of 20 mm, the welding depth is 14 mm (add 2 mm for each subsequent size of the material diameter). It is this segment that you need to mark with a marker.
- We are waiting for the indicator to turn off, notifying about the heating process, and proceed to welding the parts. To do this, you need to heat the edges of the connecting elements by inserting them into the sleeve from opposite sides.
- If you are using reinforced polypropylene pipesthen before soldering it is necessary to clean the top layer from the cut surface with a shaver, and then degrease and weld.
Soldering time table for polypropylene pipes
|Outer pipe diameter (mm)
|Heating time (sec.)
|Connection time (sec.)
|Cooling time (sec.)
- Do not arbitrarily increase the heating time — plastic can melt and change the inner diameter of the products, which will lead to a disruption in the process.
- Remove the parts from the nozzle and immediately connect to each other. The plastic in the places of heating will be still plastic for a couple of seconds, which will allow you to center the product. Experienced craftsmen do it by eye, and you will need a building level.
You can use the plumbing system no earlier than one hour after the completion of all work.
Spike in hard to reach places carried out by separate small units, and then connected to other structural elements.
If you have a ready-made wiring diagram with accurate measurements, there will be no problems with the soldering process at a point with poor access.
By soldering most of the system on any solid surface, you will make it easier for yourself to work further. Climbing into hard-to-reach places and soldering while sitting or standing in the most uncomfortable positions you will have to do a little.
Installing pipes on the wall is carried out using plastic clips of a suitable diameter, which are mounted on dowels or combined with them. You can fix clips on a concrete wall with a puncher, on a wooden one — with a screwdriver.
For more information on how to easily and simply weld polypropylene pipes with your own hands, see the video:
How to install a weld-in saddle
There is one more method of welding parts of the water supply — using welded saddles. This option is good because, thanks to a special fitting, this connection simplifies the process of creating bends.
Convenient to use this type of alignment on pipes with a large diameter, but this requires special nozzles for a “soldering iron” and a drill to prepare a hole in the pipe. The entire further work process is similar to that previously described: clean, degrease, etc.
Prices for equipment and services
The average price of a simple pipe welding machine is 30 dollars. There are instances of 500 dollars each, but this is a technique for the pros.
A polypropylene pipe costs from 20 to 1 dollars per linear meter. The price depends on the diameter of the product and the presence or absence of a reinforced layer. The cost of fittings is from 10 to 3 dollars.
Prices for plumbing work differ slightly. On average, a complex pipe layout, 12 meters long with tees and other connections, will cost you at least 110$.
The complexity of the work and the presence of hard-to-reach areas significantly increase the cost of the final cost.
What do SNiPs say
The active use of plastic pipes became possible thanks to the official permission:
- SNiP 2.04.05–91 “Heating, ventilation and air conditioning”;
- SNiP 2.04.01–85 “Internal water supply and sewerage of buildings”.
Basic requirement — the manufacturer must have a license, and the material itself must fully comply with the sanitary standards of the EU.
If you observe the temperature regime — plastic plumbing will last for decades.
Getting started with welding, practice beforehand. Do not spare a piece of pipe and the cheapest coupling — it’s worth it.
SNIP 2.04.05 91 download
SNIP 2.04.01 85 download