Many homeowners dream of having a fireplace. Real, cozy, near which it is so pleasant to sit, watching the cheerful flashes of flame and crackling logs. But, unfortunately, a wood-burning fireplace in a modern apartment building — a luxury that can be afforded only in special situations. An excellent alternative to it will be a modern electric model
1. Sofie electric fireplace in a classic frame.
2. Hearth Eugene (Real Flame).
3, 4. Electrofireplaces with portals designed in a modern spirit: model “Astoria” (Glenrich), portal — wenge tree (550 $) (3); Wagner item assembled with Eugene hearth (Real Flame) (410 $) (4).
5. Fireplace “Atlant” (Glenrich), portal — wenge tree (650 $). 6. Fireplace from the Classik series, equipped with a Luton portal (Real Flame) (400 $).
The installation process of the device takes only a few minutes. It is enough to unpack it, put it near the wall or hang it on it and connect the power supply through a standard power outlet. The power consumption of electric fireplaces, as a rule, does not exceed 2 kW, so re-equipment of the house electrical network is not required.
4 criteria for choosing an electric fireplace
one. Flame quality. Perhaps this is the main criterion — the flame should be pleasing to the eye. Optical and sound effects are also welcome. — flashing sparks, crackling logs andt.P.
2. Type of fireplace and portal. Their design should match the style of the room. Classic English, Swedish minimalism, modern hi-tech, cozy Art Deco — it all depends on the interior.
3. Dimensions. When selecting a model, you can apply the “television rule”: the distance from the observer to the fireplace should be three — five diagonals of the “screen”.
four. Heating. Are you going to use the electric fireplace only for additional room heating? Then look for a device with a “fire shutdown” that can work as a heater.
The main structural element of an electric fireplace is a hearth or fireplace insert. This node is responsible for creating the illusion of a flame. It looks different: as a separate hearth (logs or coal on a cast-iron grate-base) or as a hearth with coals and logs, but installed in a metal cassette. The decorative frame framing the hearth is called a portal (an additional element). In many models, the body of the cassette-hearth plays the role of the portal. ATDepending on the design, the devices on the market can be divided into a number of categories.
- Non-separable fireplaces with a portal, produced as a ready-made kit. These devices can be made in the spirit of classics or high-tech. ATin the latter case, a rack for TVs or other equipment sometimes acts as a portal for an electric fireplace.
Electric fireplaces have many advantages, for example, ease of operation (no need to clean ash and soot) or cost: on sale you can find assembled models for only 100–150$.
- Fireplaces with a separately selected portal. ATof them, the fireplace insert has strictly specified dimensions, according to which it is easy to choose a portal. The latter outwardly do not differ from the wood-burning fireplaces used for decoration. You can choose a wooden portal in the English spirit, a frame made of stone (granite, sandstone, tuff, marble) for a model in the neoclassical or, say, Empire style. Of course, manufacturers of electric fireplaces are not bound by the requirements to use materials that are not afraid of open fire, so more elegant finishes are allowed, for example, in the form of wooden lacquered surfaces, veneered MDF andothers
Sometimes an electric fireplace insert is installed in a conventional fireplace if for some reason it is not desirable to use it with a real fire. The main thing is that the geometric dimensions of the insert and the fireplace make it possible to make the symbiosis aesthetic.
- Devices simulating free-standing stoves.
- Hinged wall fireplaces. Most often they are made in high-tech style.
In addition to the design style and design, electric fireplaces differ in the size of the front screen firebox. The standard screen diagonal is 25–30 inches, there are also models with a firebox ranging in size from 35–36 inches. Of course, the larger the diagonal, the more expensive the product. If an average-sized fireplace in assembled form can be purchased for 10–200 $, then luxurious models with a firebox of 35–36 inches will cost at least 3–4 times more.
10. Model Sofie 26 with a portal in a classic style (Real Flame) (500 $)
11. Wall kit Kyoto Bamboo (Alex Bauman) (210 $).
12. Hinged wall-mounted fireplace Burbank (Dimplex) (830 $)
13. Floor model Story Black (Alex Bauman) (6700rub.).
14. Outdoor fireplace-stove Superior (Real Flame) (55$).
15. A product with a classic Venice portal (Alex Bauman) (460 $)
How electric fire works
There are several technologies for simulating a burning flame. The most widespread today are electromechanical structures with a rotating drum with sparkles and other reflective elements that create a whimsical play of light reflections. Similar models are presented in the collections of Glenrich, Alex Bauman, Electrolux, Real Flame and a number of other manufacturers. The electromechanical design is complemented by LED illumination of coals and the inner walls of the hearth, other optical and sound effects are also used (for example, crackling of burning firewood).
Other ways to simulate fire are offered by Glen Dimplex. For example, in Opti-Myst technology, the water vapor generated by the ultrasonic steam generator plays a key role. The steam is illuminated by colored LEDs, and its turbulent swirls are perceived as flames. A similar 3D Fog technology is provided in Alex Bauman fireplaces. Opti‑V technology is based on the use of built-in LED-panels depicting fire “in the recording” (videos can be changed). ATThe new development of Glen Dimplex, Opti‑V 2 technology, scattering sparks are added to the flames. Such a flame looks like a real one, but a model with Opti‑V and Opti‑V 2 technologies costs several times more than other types of electric fireplaces. Let’s say the price of the Dimplex Opti‑V insert is about 1300$, while the Opti‑V 2 insert will cost 230 thousand rubles.
Fireplace as … humidifier
A fireplace using water vapor technology also functions as a humidifier. When choosing such a device, be sure to check its performance and the volume of the water tank. ATsome models of a full tank are enough for 10–12hours of work in intensive mode, in others — only 3–4h. It is desirable that the tank is as spacious as possible and does not have to be filled several times a day.
Many technologies have disadvantages. So, electromechanical rotating structures in some models produce a weak but noticeable noise. Therefore, it is better to choose electric fireplaces in silence. BUTultrasonic steam generators need regular maintenance. ATthey must be filled with distilled water. ATOtherwise, a whitish coating will form on the objects surrounding the steam generator. The latter, of course, can be cleaned manually, but it is still better not to provoke the appearance of plaque.
Many modern fireplaces have different operating modes. For example, burning with different intensities (from barely noticeable tongues to a large flame) or a smoldering embers mode. Technically more advanced fireplaces are usually equipped with remote controls to make the operation of the appliances as comfortable as possible.
Fireplace accessories — a special kind of products that serve to decorate the interior and give the electric hearth greater reliability
No matter what technology is responsible for simulating fire, the main thing is that it looks realistic. Every detail matters — hearth with soot and soot stains, firewood, coals, portal, accessories. The only way to be sure — independently choose a fireplace and evaluate its work.
Electric fireplaces can be not only decorative, but also perform more practical tasks for heating a room. The heating power of most products is 1–2 kW, so they can be used as the main source of heat in cold weather in summer, and in winter — as an extra. This feature is easy to turn off, and the fireplace will simulate a flame, but not warm. ATadvanced models, such as Montana WT FS33IR Lucca suite (Real Flame), the package also includes a thermostat that allows you to automatically maintain a certain temperature in the room.