Mankind has managed to make a comfortable place out of the bathroom. But even modern bathrooms and toilets can have an unpleasant odor that even the best air fresheners can’t deal with.
Yes, and you should not do this, because the stench is not only unpleasant, but also harmful. Therefore, it is necessary to immediately begin to search for the cause.
Why does the bathroom smell like sewage?
There are several reasons for the spread of sewer amber: from a banal clogging of a pipe to a malfunction of ventilation. Let’s dwell on each of them in more detail.
Incorrect installation of the system
If the “aroma” of the sewer began to spread in your new or just renovated housing, then the reason is most likely the incorrect installation of the sewerage network.
In this case, violations often manifest themselves in three ways:
- The most difficult case is non-observance of the slope when installing the wiring. Insufficient angle of inclination of the pipeline leads to stagnation of drains. Excessive slope is also bad, as in this case the liquid will quickly evacuate, and larger and heavier waste will stagnate and clog the pipe.
- Incorrect installation of the water seal leads to the fact that it does not retain water, which should prevent the penetration of gases from the sewer. Errors in the arrangement of sewer ventilation can also lead to snatching of the water seal when flushing large portions of wastewater.
- If when connecting pipelines joints were not properly sealedthen these places are the source of stench.
Hidden violation of the integrity of the pipes and the accumulation of condensate
Leaks, imperceptible at first glance, are another common cause of stench in the bathroom. Such defects are very difficult to detect, as they can appear in hard-to-reach places, for example, on a pipe section immured in the floor or wall.
In this case, the situation is aggravated if moisture seeps into the ceiling, forming diaper rash, and destroys the wooden elements of the subfloor.
Moistening of floors can also occur when condensate forms on the pipes. This phenomenon is possible if the pipeline passes in places of temperature differences.
As a result, putrefactive bacteria and mold fungi actively develop.
Malfunctions in the water seal
Malfunctions in the operation of a water seal can occur not only as a result of incorrect installation, but also during its operation.. Problems appear for several reasons:
- as a result of clogging or freezingb;
- due to stretching of the corrugated pipe with time;
- due to clogged drain pipeleading to a violation of sewer ventilation and snatching of a water plug when draining water into a riser;
In the latter case, when a large volume of liquid enters, for example, when flushing from a toilet bowl or when a washing machine is running, you can hear a characteristic squelching sound coming from small siphons.
Loss of water from the siphon can occur if the plumbing is not operated for a long time. The liquid will just evaporate.
In addition to the sewer ventilation riser, the bathroom needs air ventilation, which can be forced and natural.. For a bath, air exchange is especially important, as this is a humid room.
The accumulated liquid leads to the development of mold and putrefactive microbes and the spread of an unpleasant odor.
Sewer pipes are highwaysalong which contaminated water moves with hair, fat, animal hair, sometimes thick paper and sand that have fallen into it.
Large waste can lead to the formation of an obstruction. Also, during operation, the walls of the pipes become overgrown with plaque, which causes a narrowing of the lumen.
Blockage is not only a source of unpleasant odor in itself, but also disrupts the operation of the entire sewer system, including water seals. And it is in the siphons that the accumulation of contaminants occurs most often.
Smell from washing machine
Sometimes the smell comes from the washing machine, which can develop mold.. This is especially common if the technique is used frequently, and for washing, a mode with a temperature of no higher than 30 degrees is almost always chosen.
Sometimes the drain hose is clogged or the operation of the sump pump is disrupted.
Thus, many causes of bad smell in the bathroom are related to each other. In many cases, you can fix them yourself.
How to deal with the smell in the bathroom?
After determining the cause of the stench, you can begin to take measures to eliminate it. If we are talking about an apartment building and problems, such as blockage, are in the general house drainage system, then it is necessary to involve employees from the managing organization.
In case of localization of malfunctions inside an apartment or in a private house, they must be removed independently or with the help of hired specialists.
- If it is found that the sewer was installed with violations, then it will be necessary to completely redo it or make changes to some sections. For this, it is better to call an experienced plumber.
- Leaks often occur at joints. Pipelines must be disconnected and reconnected and sealed. If the leak occurs due to a violation of the integrity of the pipe, then it is necessary to seal the crack and subsequently replace the damaged area.
- Accumulation of condensate on the pipe due to temperature differences prevented by insulation.
- The work of the siphon can be restored in various ways., the choice of which depends on the cause. This can be clearing the blockage, eliminating the sagging of the corrugation with the help of clamps, pouring hot water into the pipe to defrost ice, restoring the patency of the fan ventilation pipe.
- Air ventilation is cleaned by a specialist. If the move is free, but the removal of moisture is not enough, then you can install a grill with a fan that removes air forcibly.
- When the stench comes from the washing machine, it is necessary to start an empty wash in boiling mode with detergent. After that, carefully wipe the drum and cuff. Another measure is to clean the drain pump and hose.
- Blockages in sewer pipes eliminated with the help of special tools, cables. There are even electric pipe cleaners used by specialists.
The main causes of stench in the bathroom are blockages and leaks in pipes, as well as problems with sewer ventilation and siphon.
Troubleshooting can be done independently or with the involvement of specialists. But much more effective preventionwhich includes several activities.
- When installing sewerage, it is necessary to avoid a large number of joints and turns and place them in accessible places.
- Important use pipelines and fittings of the correct diameterhigh quality and observe the slope when installing.
- Building waste must not be thrown into the sewerrags and other waste that will cause pollution.
- Costs clean the siphon regularly and sewer pipes.
- After kitchen sinks and dishwashers recommend install grease traps.
- If the pipeline passes in places of temperature difference, then need to be insulated his.
- Entrust the installation of the entire sewer network to professionals.
- If you have to leave your home for a long time, it is recommended pour a little vegetable oil into the siphonswhich will prevent the liquid from evaporating.
Compliance with these simple rules will help prevent the occurrence of odor.