Having your own source of water supply for a private house is not only a simple desire, but also a necessity, since in most cases it is not possible to connect to central networks.
A well for organization requires considerable physical costs, and the water in it is in contact with the environment. An artesian well is a luxury that few people can afford. Yes, and for drilling artesian requires a special permit. The way out is to equip an Abyssinian well on the site.
How is the Abyssinian well arranged?
This drinking spring was invented in North Africa due to the characteristics of the soil. In fact, this is not a well, but a well, which is also called a needle due to the peculiarities of its shape.
The depth of this underground water source is up to 12 m.
The Abyssinian well is quite simply arranged:
- its body is formed by several inch-diameter pipes connected to each other;
- in the deepest part, the body passes into a perforated filter tube, additionally surrounded by a mesh;
- the filter ends with a sharp tip;
- water-lifting equipment is located on the surface, for example, a hand pump pump.
The simplicity of the device is one of the main positive characteristics of the well-needle.
Advantages and disadvantages of the “Abyssinian”
Many experts and users believe that the well-needle — one of the best options for water supply at their summer cottage. This opinion is associated with a large number of advantages of this source of water:
- well-needle very easy to install, the entire procedure of arrangement takes an average of 10 hours. To do this, you do not need to hire special equipment, the possibility of access to which is often difficult.
- Abyssinian well can be arranged both outside the building and insidewhich makes it possible to use the source in winter.
- Such a well suitable for areas without electricityas a hand pump can be installed. If there are interruptions in the supply of electricity, then it is possible to equip the source with 2 types of water-lifting equipment: manual and electric.
- If necessary all elements of the well can be dismantled and moved to another location.
- The water in the “Abyssinian” is not affected by high water and surface runofflike a well. And in terms of mineral composition, the source surpasses an artesian well. The water of the Abyssinian well is not characterized by the presence of inorganic iron and a high concentration of hardness salts.
- The debit of the well is from 0.5 to 3 m³/hourwhich is quite enough for the household needs of a country house and even watering plantings.
- To recreate it no need to get a license.
- Final the cost of the source is not greatbesides, the filter, the body of the well and even the hand pump can be made independently.
The main disadvantage of the “Abyssinian” is the possibility of seepage of pollutants into the water from the surface. This should not be forgotten when choosing a location for the well.
Features of arrangement and operation
Although the Abyssinian well is simple and popular, it is not always possible to use it, and some nuances must be taken into account during installation.
- It is important that the aquifer does not go deeper than 8 m, which is due to the capabilities of the surface lifting equipment.
- Rocky soil prevents the arrangement of the “Abyssinian”. The best option is sand of medium and large fractions. In it, installation requires minimal physical effort, and the process of filter silting is slow.
- It is not allowed that there are sources of pollution near the well: garbage heaps, cesspools, septic tanks.
- The well shaft can be formed by inch or one and a half inch plastic or metal pipes. It is important that the connections between them are strong and tight.
Knowing these features, you can start purchasing material and prepare all the necessary tools.
Equipment: what needs to be prepared?
You can purchase a ready-made well design or make all the elements yourself.
To make an Abyssinian well with your own hands, you will need:
- half-inch pipes with a total length of about 3–10 m;
- 1 meter of pipe with a diameter of ¾ inch for couplings connecting half-inch pipes;
- inch pipes with a total length of 8–12 m for the well body;
- mesh 16x100 cm with filter weaving;
- about 2 m of wire with a diameter of 0.2 mm;
- 4 cast iron sockets for driving;
- a pointed metal tip 10 mm long, and with a diameter slightly larger than the main pipes, it can be ordered from a turner;
- clamps for automobiles;
- bolts and nuts 10 mm;
- pipe cutting tool;
- gas keys;
- garden drill;
- apparatus for welding;
Video — do-it-yourself drilling of a well with a needle of an Abyssinian well
It needs to be clarified that driving is the main process of installing the Abyssinian well. That is why you need a “grandmother” — a tool that you can make yourself.
To do this, it is necessary to weld a base, 10 mm thick, from one end to a small section of a thick-walled pipe, and handles from the sides. The weight of the finished product should be about 30 kg. All welding connections must be made carefully for the safety of deepening work.
All of the above is commercially available, which only facilitates the installation of the well.
How to make an Abyssinian well with your own hands?
Before you start drilling and driving an Abyssinian well, you need to prepare all the components of the well.
- Long inch pipes are divided into lengths from 1 to 1.5 m, at the ends of which threads are cut for connection.
- On a meter pipe with a diameter of 1 inch, slot-like holes are made, spaced at a distance of about 2 cm from each other. The length of the perforated section should be 0.8 m. This is the basis of the filter.
- A wire is wound on a perforated tube, and the winding is closed with a mesh from above. For fixing, you can use 8–10 clamps or soldering. In the latter case, lead solder should not be used.
- A steel cone is welded to the end, which will be directed to the base.
Now you can start driving with preliminary drilling.
- In the place where the well will be installed, a pit of 0.5 m³ is dug.
- In the center of the pit, drilling is started with a garden drill, which is increased using pipes with a diameter of 0.5 inches.
- The soil is periodically removed by raising the drill
- When sand saturated with water appears, driving begins. First, the filter is connected to the required number of pipes, I wind the cast-iron sleeve onto the edge of the column. They put on a “grandmother” and hit her sharply.
- Gradually, a column of pipes is built up.
- In the process of driving, the soil around the pipe is constantly poured and compacted.
- Periodically, water is poured into the body of the well and tapped. To do this, the pipe is turned clockwise. When a rustle is heard, more water is added. If it leaves quickly, then they go deep by 0.3 m, with slow seepage of the liquid, they clog the column by half a meter.
The last procedure helps not to miss the aquifer. When it is reached, a pump is installed and the water is pumped until it becomes transparent. Water must be taken to the laboratory for analysis. This will only slightly increase the cost of the “Abyssinian”, but it will make sure that the source can be used for drinking water supply.
On the video you can watch the drilling of the Abyssinian well using the Pioneer rig:
How much will it cost?
The well-needle can be ordered on a turnkey basis. So, the installation of a twelve-meter well made of galvanized steel with the installation of the pump you bought will cost about 23–25 thousand rubles.
A cheaper option is to score your own finished structural elements. A set for a ten-meter well made of galvanized steel costs about 5.50 $. Add to that the cost of the pump. The minimum price of electric water-lifting equipment is 25$.
The Abyssinian well, which is completely self-made, will cost the least. Here, the main expenses are associated with the purchase of a pump and pipes: 1 meter of an inch galvanized steel pipe costs about 110 rubles. The total cost of a self-arranged well is unlikely to exceed 70 $.
In any case, with proper installation, the well will become an excellent source of water that will last a long time.