The building materials market is constantly expanding, as new innovative production technologies appear. Recently, polymeric materials have been widely demanded, which are divided into several types. For the most part, these are polypropylene products from domestic and foreign manufacturers. Many consumers are interested in which fittings are better and for what purposes, so in the article we will consider the rating of produced polypropylene pipes.
Polypropylene pipe products: characteristics
To choose the right product correctly, you need to understand what advantages polypropylene products have:
- They are not afraid of destructive corrosion processes. Thanks to this property, pipelines retain their original properties for many years. Compared to metal products, fittings made of polypropylene last 3–4 times longer;
- Chemically active media do not affect the material. In addition, polypropylene pipes are good due to their excellent throughput;
- Frost resistance. Such products can also be operated at sub-zero temperatures — they will reliably perform their duties without being subjected to breaks;
- Small noise level. Often, when arranging heating systems, consumers choose polypropylene products, because the sounds of water movement through them are simply not audible;
- In the case of a hot coolant, thermal energy is saved by 10 — 20% compared to metal products;
- Environmentally friendly products, harmless to both humans and the environment;
- Easily mounted and create a reliable connection;
- Connecting elements (fittings) are presented in a large assortment, which makes it possible to implement even complex wiring.
Polypropylene pipes: main types
Before choosing a product, you need to understand its types. Pipes made of polypropylene are single or multilayer.
Products with one layer are:
- PPH is homopropylene. With the help of such products, ventilation systems, industrial pipelines are laid and cold water supply is equipped;
- PPB is polypropylene block copolymer. Using this type, floor heating systems and cold water mains are created, high-impact fittings are produced;
- PPR is a polypropylene radnocopolymer. Relevant for water supply and heating;
- PPs is flame retardant specialty polypropylene.
As for multilayer products, it involves reinforcement. Due to this, temperature elongations are reduced, and the products themselves, in turn, are divided into smooth and perforated.
They differ in the way of reinforcement into the following types:
- With a solid or perforated layer of aluminum foil installed on the outside;
- Closer to the outside there is an aluminum layer, and a perforated foil allows you to connect the layers to each other without the help of glue;
- With the use of fiberglass;
- The inner layer is made of a composite mixture consisting of polypropylene and glass or fiber.
The best polypropylene pipes for the heating system
Many consumers are wondering, “which polypropylene pipes are better to install for heating?”. Each manufacturer guarantees that its products are of high quality and durable. Therefore, we compare the products of different companies according to the following parameters: main characteristics (diameters, weight), appearance, strength indicators and service life.
Czech manufacturer, whose products are divided into 2 types:
- FV PPR — such products are suitable for cold and hot water supply. Optimal for prolonged contact with water at room temperature, while maintaining periodic contact with hot water. Method of their manufacture: welding. Faser is additionally engaged in the production of all necessary components for pipes: these are fittings, accessories and other items;
- FV THERM — optimal for heating systems, connected to radiators and underfloor heating systems. With their help, you can organize the supply of hot water, but the solution is not appropriate due to the high cost of production. The following materials are used in the manufacturing process: polypropylene, rigid polyurethane and expanded polystyrene — this combination provides a long service life and a low stretch factor.
A running meter of products from Faser weighs an average of 0.1 kg.
Calde-Vostok is a manufacturer that has become widely popular in Europe and Europe. A company from Turkey is engaged in the manufacture of taps for cold and hot water supply, fittings, taps and other necessary accessories. The company uses recycled polypropylene to manufacture its products and combines it with other synthetic materials to increase durability.
For the manufacture of branch pipes, a multilayer material is used, which makes the connection more durable and reliable. The pipes themselves are produced in white and are marked. As for diameters, the manufacturer offers all common sizes. If necessary, you can order the original product.
The company manufactures polypropylene products for heating systems and water supply. The range of the brand consists of tubular products, including those reinforced with aluminum, various fittings and accessories. Products are characterized by the following positive qualities:
- Due to the smooth inner surface of the pipes, low pressure losses are ensured;
- A large selection of additional fittings allows you to combine Wefatherm pipelines with other systems.
They are connected by diffusion welding, which ensures maximum tightness. This type of connection is quickly processed and cools down.
A German company producing high quality products. Each stage of production is strictly controlled, and the raw materials used in the work are of impeccable quality. Such pipes are used in a wide variety of areas, starting with underfloor heating systems, heat supply, drinking water supply and ending with production.
Consider the features of fittings of the PN20 and PN16 series. They are used for hot and cold water supply. For the manufacture of products, PP-RCT polypropylene is used — an innovative material with a crystalline structure, the performance of which is 50% better compared to analogues. The peculiarity lies in the fact that a special cooling method is involved, which is the reason for the formation of the smallest crystals. The result is the most dense and, at the same time, flexible material. This allows the material to show high resistance to pressure — up to 20 bar and temperature — up to +95 degrees Celsius.
Another series — Stabi, is a multilayer product made of composite materials. Relevant for heating systems, hot and cold water supply. The peculiarity of the product lies in the coating with an aluminum layer, due to which it is characterized by low thermal expansion and excellent mechanical resistance. To connect them, thermal welding is used using a manual welding machine.
The company “Ego Engineering” offers a choice of the following series of fittings:
- PP‑R — a random copolymer is used for their production. Such taps can last about 50 years. Sizes: 20 — 125 mm;
- PEX is a system with an anti-diffusion coating. With their help, hot and cold water supply systems are assembled. Have the advantages of two materials: metal and polypropylene;
- PE-RT — their feature is increased heat resistance. With their help, radiators, boilers and other heating equipment are connected.
According to external signs, the fittings practically do not differ, except for the color of the marking.
Polypropylene pipes for water supply: manufacturer rating
First, let’s take a look at what such a product is in general. These are the most suitable products if the goal is to create a reliable water supply in the house. Choosing and comparing technical characteristics, it turns out that polypropylene is several times superior to materials such as polyethylene and polyvinyl chloride. This type of plastic is characterized by the lowest density index — 0.91 g/cm3.
Depending on the product class, polypropylene fittings can be used to organize both hot and cold water supply. High-quality polypropylene fittings and pipes may differ from each other, therefore, when choosing, you should pay attention to the marking, which indicates the manufacturing technology and characteristics.
PPH and PPR products are considered the most optimal for organizing water supply. As for the former, they have a large margin of safety, but react poorly to low temperatures (below 0) and exposure to ultraviolet radiation. Based on GOSTs and SNiPs, professionals recommend using them to lay lines for cold water.
The best heat resistance (can withstand up to +900 degrees Celsius) and resistance to UV rays for PPR products. Such pipes are suitable for the organization of cold, hot water supply and for heating systems. There is only one caveat — they should be mounted in heated rooms, and they are not recommended for outdoor conditions. We are talking about single-layer fittings, while reinforced two-layer ones are more suitable for heating.
When choosing pipes, you should pay attention to the marking:
- PN10 — thin-walled products for cold water supply and underfloor heating systems, with a working fluid temperature of not more than +450 degrees Celsius;
- PN16 — a universal option for cold water and hot water, with a temperature not exceeding +600 degrees;
- PN20 — thick-walled reinforcement that can withstand temperatures of +950 degrees;
- PN25 — suggest reinforcement, suitable for hot water and heating systems.
Now as for the best options for polypropylene pipes. It should be noted here that the production technology is the same in all cases, but each manufacturer adds certain plasticizers to the material, aimed at improving one or another characteristic.
The most popular manufacturers:
- Rehau, Banninger (Germany);
- Ecoplastic FIBER (Netherlands);
- Valtec (Italy);
- TEBO, Vesbo (Turkey);
- ProAqua, Politek (Europe).
Manufacturers offer products of almost the same quality. The only thing is that for a brand, for example, Rehau, you will have to pay extra, while Chinese options, on the contrary, will cost less. European products also have their advantages, first of all, availability.
Polypropylene fittings are an excellent alternative compared to classic metal products. Plastic pipes are not only affordable, but also have optimal technical characteristics. Polypropylene lines can serve for about 50 years, but for this you need to choose the right pipes. For example, if you choose an unsuitable product for hot water supply, then the system will last at best 15 to 20 years. Therefore, when choosing a material, you must be extremely careful.