Any unusual design solution for a sanitary room can be spoiled by the unsightly appearance of open communications. There are several ways to hide, spoiling the view, sewer pipes in the bathroom, the main thing is to provide access to service systems.
Properly installed internal sewerage in an apartment is the key to the normal functioning of plumbing, the absence of problems with an unpleasant smell and dampness. Professional pipe installation will also keep the repairs just made and your nerves intact. Therefore, before immuring pipes into the wall, make sure that the joints and fasteners are securely glued, the communication scheme is made in accordance with the building project.
Advice! It is not recommended to immediately cement the water supply in the wall and tile it. Let the assembled structure stand open for several days to check the reliability of the solder joints in the pipes.
Requirements for materials
Before closing the sewer pipes in the bathroom and toilet, it is necessary to choose the right finishing material. The quality and technical characteristics of the materials used must meet the following requirements:
- Moisture resistant. Kitchen, bathroom, bathroom are those places where there is always high humidity. Under the influence of moisture, materials are able to deform, collapse, and mold appears. That is why it is worth choosing moisture resistant options;
- Light weight. In order not to “eat up” the already small area of u200bu200bthe room, use materials that do not need to create heavy, bulky structures for their fasteners;
- Resistance and chemicals. It is impossible to use and clean a bathroom without household chemicals, so the material must be such that it is easy to wash off dirt and chemical residues from it. It must also tolerate direct contact with alkaline and aggressive cleaners well.
The best materials according to these characteristics to mask communications are: MDF panels, plastic wall panels, moisture-resistant drywall and tile. A variety of textures, a wide range of colors, allows you to use them in any interior and create your own original design.
How to disguise pipes: the most popular ways
There are many options to hide protruding communications in the kitchen and bathroom, we will consider the most popular ones.
Method number 1
Covering the sewer pipes in the toilet with furniture is a simple, functional way to hide the pipes from the eyes, while leaving access to them. Here it is important to choose the right set for the kitchen or bath. It is even better to make it to order, taking into account all the available nuances with communications.
Large sewer pipes, such as risers, should be completely removed behind wide cabinets. In order for the furniture to fit snugly against the wall and the protrusions are not conspicuous, it is necessary:
- Remove the back wall completely;
- Make notches at the back of the shelves, in the shape of a pipe.
The pipes in the kitchen leading to the sink will be hidden by the cabinet, on the back wall of which it is necessary to carry out the same work as with the stoic.
Method number 2
If there is very little space, there is no way to order and install furniture, you can simply decorate or paint over the water supply, making it part of the interior. For painting pipes, there is a special radiator paint that is resistant to heat and does not emit toxic substances. To modify the risers, you can take water-dispersion or alkyd paints.
Before application, the surface is cleaned from rust and dirt. Coated with a primer, which will protect the metal from corrosion and give greater adhesion to the paint. Before painting, make sure that no condensation has accumulated, which should be removed if necessary.
For plastic piping, choose paints that do not contain alkali and acetone. This may damage the coating. Acrylic based on white spirit is best suited. Next, follow our advice:
- It is necessary to protect nearby walls and flooring from unintentional ingress of paint. Lay paper or plastic wrap around;
- Start painting with cold pipes, as it dries quickly on hot pipes, the result may be unnatural;
- The work is carried out with a wide brush, as it is able to envelop round shapes and does not allow streaks.
Decorated pipes look no less interesting. You can, for example, use stucco molding, which will effectively complement the vertical risers and turn them into columns.
Method number 3
One of the most popular ways is to completely close the sewer pipe in the toilet with drywall or make a box out of it. Moisture-resistant drywall is a practical material that is often used in interior design or during redevelopment. Its main difference is antifungal and impregnated impregnation, which protects the material from mold, fungus, destruction.
To hto sew pipes in a box, it is necessary to create a frame of metal guides fixed to the wall with brackets. To create a box, profiles are used, the size of which is 27x60 mm. The work is carried out in several stages:
- Markings are made on the floor and adjacent wall. 3–5 cm recede from the highest point of the water supply, then draw a line. Also outline the horizontal sides;
- With the help of fasteners, the guides are fixed. Transverse ones are attached to them and fixed among themselves with “crabs” at a step distance of 15–20 cm;
- Where communications come into contact with the shadows of the box, a special cushioning tape is attached;
- When assembling, make sure that the front side of the drywall is on the outside. Screw caps should be screwed in so that they do not interfere with further finishing;
- Next, you need to leave an opening for the door. To do this, a hole is cut in the drywall, the door blank is put on hinges, sheathe the finish with a completely finishing material;
- For reliability, the corners are equipped with perforated fasteners.
If the box is created to mask a hot water supply or heating, holes are left on top to let warm air out. Also make a hole in the bottom. This is necessary to quickly detect a leak, then fix it.
Method number 4
The bathroom is often tiled. It can also be used to mask pipes. The method is characterized by large labor costs and financial investments, but you will achieve a better aesthetic effect. The basis is metal or wooden guides from which the box is assembled. If the guides are wooden, they are treated with a water-repellent compound.
Further work should be carried out according to the following scheme:
- Measure the perimeter of the passage of communications;
- The frame is assembled, fixed to the floor and walls;
- The box is sheathed with sheets of chipboard or plywood;
- Leave space for the door;
- A reinforcing mesh is applied on top;
- Tiles are laid on it;
- The seams between the tiles are overwritten, leaving space reserved for the door.
The shape of the box can be any. For greater functionality, it can be made in the form of a ledge or shelf on which decorative items will be placed. Or make it in the form of a small cabinet where you can store household chemicals.
Method number 5
A screen made of plastic panels is an easy and cheap way to hide pipes. The panels are not afraid of damp or air, they do not deform, they are easy to replace if you want to change the interior.
To complete the sheathing, you will need a base and a metal profile and U‑corners. If you know the technology of laying plastic ceiling panels, then everything is similar here.
- Before starting work, be sure to take measurements and make markings;
- Metal guides are attached around the perimeter to the wall;
- Plastic is cut to the required dimensions;
- The initial panels are screwed to the profile with the locking part, and then simply assembled with the help of latches;
- The last element is fixed with a fixing screw.
Installation of the screen under the bathroom is carried out in the same way. In this way, you can disguise pipes near the floor, counters.
Method number 6
Plumbing shutters. This is an unusual, modern way to mask pipes in a bathroom or bathroom.
The main advantage of this design is full access to communications. Thanks to a wide range of colors, they are easy to match with your interior and will be a great addition to a high-tech or loft-style bathroom.
There are two options for the lifting mechanism: mechanical and electric. You should choose based on the size of the room, the conditions of communications. The frame can be made of drywall. To ensure stable operation of the mechanism, it is necessary to install roller shutters parallel to the floor and wall surfaces.
Method number 7
To save space, pipes can be sunk into the walls. This is a complex, radical process. In addition, the disadvantage is the complexity of the repair work. Therefore, it is important during the work to provide preventive measures to eliminate leaks. To do this, it is advisable to solder the fittings directly, and when laying the strobe, equip them with foam rubber sleeves. The insulating material will eliminate condensation and prevent hot water pipes from expanding too much.
At the beginning of work, a schematic drawing on paper is necessarily made. Next, do the following:
- Shut off the water supply in the basement, as the pipes will have to be moved. If we are talking about a bathroom, you will have to drown out the sewer;
- Punch the pipe laying place in the walls with a perforator. Use a respirator, as there will be a lot of dust;
- After installing the water supply, hold it open for several days to check the reliability and tightness of the bayonets;
- Then you can seal them with cement mortar;
- Only after the solution is completely dry, finishing work is carried out.
I must say that there are pipe elements that cannot be masked. These include:
- Connection points of fittings in the form of letters X, T, G. These are the most vulnerable places with a high risk of leakage;
- Do not embed metal pipes into walls, as well as soldered copper joints;
- All threaded, valve elements that need constant access.
Recommendations of the masters and possible errors
There are several rules for masking communications that should be followed.
- First, try to avoid multiple joints when installing communications. To do this, you need to conduct a competent wiring.
- Secondly, it is important that the joints are strong and soldered from the same material.
- Thirdly, be sure to leave access to meters, valves, taps.
Use insulating material to prevent condensation.
Each method of masking pipes has its own advantages and disadvantages. But whatever method you choose, the main thing is to follow all the rules during the work, then your communications will not be a weak point in the interior of the room.