The end result of installing an autonomous heating system is to obtain maximum thermal comfort for people living in the house. In addition to choosing a boiler, the future owner must take care of purchasing a minimum set of automation, which includes a room thermostat for a heating boiler. What kind of device it is, what is its role in creating a comfortable microclimate in the room, will be described in this publication.
Why an air thermostat for a heating boiler?
All happy owners of autonomous heating know that a boiler is a device that, by burning fuel, heats the water circulating in the heating system. The heating boiler does not work constantly, but cyclically: it heated the coolant to a certain temperature — it turned off. The coolant cooled down by a few degrees — the boiler turned on. The temperature of the heat carrier is set manually by the owner, with a thermostat, which is an integral part of any modern heating boiler, regardless of its manufacturer and equipment functionality.
This system of thermoregulation has several rather serious drawbacks:
- The first inconvenience is that when the weather changes, the owner of the autonomous heating system is forced to visit the furnace room every time and set new temperature values u200bu200bon the boiler. This is not always convenient, especially if the boiler is installed in a separate furnace room.
- In order to maintain the temperature set by the user, the boiler often turns on and off the burner. This leads to an increase in fuel consumption and the development of equipment life.
To solve these problems, most manufacturers of climate technology recommend using room thermostats for a gas boiler. Sometimes on the network you can find the names of this device as: air thermostat, programmer or room temperature sensors.
The principle of operation of the thermostat
The simplest room thermostat is an electromechanical device, the “heart” of which is a temperature-sensitive element filled with gas that expands with increasing air temperature. Upon reaching the user-defined air temperature in the room where the device is installed, the temperature-sensitive element opens the contacts that connect the device with the heating boiler. This action is a signal for the boiler automation or for the gas valve, which turn off the burner or put it into support mode. It all depends on the model and configuration of the heating equipment.
When the boiler stops, the coolant in the circuit cools down. Naturally, this leads to a decrease in the air temperature in the room, while the thermocouple closes the contacts, and the heating system controller restarts the burner.
The advantages of using a room thermostat are as follows: comfort in a heated room depends on the temperature and humidity characteristics of the air, and not on the temperature of the coolant in the batteries. Air cools much more slowly than water. That is why when using a room thermostat, the most comfortable temperature for the inhabitants of the room is maintained with a significant reduction in the number of start-ups of the heating boiler.
In other words: using an air thermostat, you increase the life of the equipment and get a comfortable microclimate in your home, getting rid of the frequent adjustment of the parameters of the boiler, saving money on the return of used fuel. Numerous observations show that when using a room temperature sensor, the cost savings for the maintenance of an autonomous heating system is up to 35% per year.
Types of room thermostats
All types of air thermostats can be divided into two broad categories:
- Devices that use a cable to communicate with the heating system.
- Wireless temperature controllers, in which a radio channel is used to communicate with the boiler.
Wired devices are conditionally divided into mechanical and electronic. In mechanical systems, a temperature-sensitive element is responsible for controlling the operation of the boiler plant, an example of which was discussed above. In the electronic thermostat for the boiler, the temperature sensor is responsible for controlling the latter.
Wireless devices consist of two modules: the first is installed directly next to the boiler unit and is connected by cable to its terminals. The second module is mounted in a heated room. It has an informative LCD display and a numeric keypad for setting parameters. Between themselves, the controller and the executive module communicate via a radio channel, the frequency of which does not affect the operation of other electronic equipment in the house.
The wireless group of thermostats can be divided into simple devices, the work of which is only to turn off and turn on the heating equipment when peak temperatures are reached, and weekly programmers, which we will dwell on in more detail.
The weekly programmer is a modern multifunctional device that can not only monitor the maintenance of a fixed temperature, but also has the possibility of hourly and weekly programming of the thermal regime. Most models of programmers are non-volatile and can work with built-in rechargeable batteries.
Today, gsm thermostats for heating boilers have appeared on the domestic market of climate technology. One or two SIM cards are installed in these devices, thanks to which the owner of the autonomous heating system has the opportunity to control the operation of the boiler remotely using a smartphone or tablet PC.
Departing from the topic, we want to inform you that we have prepared comparative reviews on gas boilers. You can get acquainted with them in the following materials:
Do-it-yourself thermostat installation
Although by law all work with gas equipment must be carried out by certified specialists, any home craftsman who has the skills to work with a screwdriver can install a room thermostat on his own. Consider the stages of work on the example of a wall-mounted gas boiler.
- Power off the device.
- Remove the outer cover from the heating system. As a rule, it is dismantled by unscrewing 4 screws fixed from the bottom of the device.
- Loosen the screws securing the control box.
- Remove the cover from the control box. The task is to get to the control board.
- On the board you will see a jumper between the “TA” contacts, which must be dismantled.
- Instead of a jumper, connect a two-core insulated cable (preferably copper) with a conductor cross section of 0.5 — 0.75 mm2.
The voltage that comes out of the control board to the thermostat connection cable is non-hazardous, 24 V. But, when working with electricity, follow all safety rules!
- Assemble the control box and install the boiler cover in reverse order.
- Connect the thermostat to the cable according to the instructions for the device.
Advice! If you are connecting a room thermostat that has more than 2 pins on the terminal block, use the ones that indicate a normally open contact. (H, NO). In devices from the Celestial Empire, contacts can be indicated by the numbers 1; 2; 3. You can determine the normally open contact using a tester.
Video on connecting the thermostat to the heating boiler:
- If you are on a budget, then get a simple, wired, electronic thermostat. Such devices are more technologically advanced, with a better response, and the quality of their work does not depend on contacts oxidized in air, as in mechanical counterparts.
- If you are concerned about saving energy resources, and at the same time your own funds, purchase a weekly programmer. This device will significantly reduce the temperature in the room, and, accordingly, the frequency of switching on the boiler plant during the hours when all household members are at work.
- If you have already made repairs, and there is no desire to ditch the walls for cable laying, then purchase wireless air thermostats.
In principle, any room thermostat is like any wall-mounted gas boiler. However, boiler manufacturers strongly recommend connecting only one brand of air thermostats. For example, according to the manufacturer, a room thermostat for a baxi gas boiler should only be of this brand. This is a marketing ploy to attract more customers!