The sewerage system is designed for the timely drain of waste products using a toilet bowl. One of the necessary elements of the system is a check valve for fan pipes — structurally it is similar to a traditional check valve for plumbing, but it functions a little differently. Installation on the sewer will help to avoid the backflow of waste, keeping the repairs in the apartment intact. Installation is carried out in apartments of multi-storey residential buildings, in private houses.
Check valve design: characteristics
The sewer check valve device consists of several elements:
- Cover — designed to facilitate the operation and repair of the structure.
- Latch — holds the damper in the desired position.
- Damper — prevents the reverse flow of waste from the pipe.
- Bell — represented by two options — input and output. The first is connected at the inlet to the system, the second — at the outlet to the main sewer pipe.
- Ball — used in some models instead of a damper. Made from vulcanized rubber material.
- The body is the shell of the entire structure, which is made of various materials that prevent deformation and are resistant to impacts from the inside and outside.
The device of a modern sewer check valve is represented by the indicated details. All models may differ from each other in shape, material of production, method of installation, as well as operating temperature. Some products are designed for outdoor use, others for residential and indoor use. Today, models with a diameter of 50 and 110 mm are on sale.
The principle of operation of the device
For residents of the lower floors in multi-storey buildings, the eruption of sewage from the toilet is a common accident. To prevent such a situation, plumbers offer to put the product on the sewer. It works like this:
- inside the device is a ball mechanism or damper;
- with a normal direct flow of water, this valve allows water to pass into the pipe, providing a drain;
- if an emergency occurs and a reverse flow of water occurs, then the damper is under pressure;
- the membrane completely blocks the flow of water into the pipe, and it does not flow back into the toilet;
- the design avoids the eruption of sewage from the toilet, thereby protecting the apartment from dangerous situations.
The principle of operation of the sewer ball check valve implies timely maintenance and cleaning of the device. If you do not revise the device, then its functioning will deteriorate, and if a reverse flow of water occurs in the pressure sewer, the masses can come to the surface of the toilet bowl and end up outside it. To clean the structure, it is necessary to open the top cover on the body: through it you can access the locking mechanism and clean it from dirt. The valve is mounted at the junction of two pipes: it can be made on a horizontal and vertical pipe.
Types of sewer valves
There is a wide variety of non-return valves for the sewer system on the plumbing market. They differ in the place of installation, installation method, as well as in the material of production.
By place of application
According to the location of the structure, check valves are used on the street sewer system and on the internal one located in the apartment. For example, for external sewage, a diameter of 110, 160 and 200 mm is used. These are large wide pipes, on which a product with a manual lock and a fuse is installed. The model is installed in a horizontal position on the street or in the basement. Inside the product is equipped with a stainless damper.
Valves for installation inside the apartment can be used in two ways:
- install one device on the sewer pipe;
- install several elements on each plumbing fixture.
The second option will cost more, and the first requires a significant amount of space to fit the device into the sewer pipe. A diameter of 50 mm is used for individual installation on appliances, and a pipe diameter of 110 mm is used when installed on a common drain pipe.
According to the installation method
According to the installation method, sewer check valves can be divided into:
The first type is installed on the pipeline using a flange connection. The device is completed with mating flanges and special fasteners. The design can be made with a lifting, disk, ball or rotary valve. On three sides there are plates on which bolts should be located, forming a flange connection. Often these models are made of cast iron.
Wafer valves are small in size and low in cost. During installation, this type of valve is fixed between pipeline flanges. This type is easily dismantled, replacement of parts is quick and hassle-free. The internal mechanism of such models is represented by disc and double-leaf shutters.
From the name it is clear that the mount is represented by a thread. Often the production uses stainless steel, cast iron and brass. There are two main types of construction, the people call them “rocker” and “barrel”.
According to the material of manufacture
For the production of check valves for the sewer riser, the same materials are used as for the manufacture of pipes. The structures are:
- Cast iron — used on main sewer systems, more often installed on large diameter pipes. Models are able to withstand strong pressure without deformation.
- Plastic — the most popular type for installation on intra-apartment systems. Affordable and easy to install devices.
- Steel — used on outdoor systems, resistant to corrosion, not exposed to aggressive environments.
- Bronze — have a long service life, as well as good resistance to external factors. They are expensive compared to other options.
All the options presented are distinguished by good functioning, but each type must be used for its intended purpose.
Criteria for choosing a non-return valve for sewerage
It is good if the plumbing master will be engaged in the choice of the desired valve. If the owner of the apartment decided to independently find the desired design, it is recommended to pay attention to:
- The section of the socket — this indicator must exactly match the section of the socket of the sewer pipe: there should be no gaps.
- Material — the raw materials for the manufacture of the valve must match the raw materials for the production of pipes: it is not recommended to mount a plastic valve on steel pipes.
- Dimensions — it is worth considering not only the diameter of the pipe, but also the external dimensions of the valve: it must organically fit into the allotted space.
- Installation — it is worth choosing the type of installation that is more preferable for the existing pipeline.
- Quality of materials — before buying it is necessary to clarify the guarantee for the product.
- Cost — the price does not depend on its external design or functionality: when forming the cost, the manufacturer focuses on the material for production.
It is necessary to purchase valves in trusted stores and outlets: domestic-made devices are not inferior in quality to foreign options.
Product installation features
You can install a check valve on the sewer with your own hands. It is not difficult to do this, the main thing is to prepare a number of tools and follow the step-by-step installation instructions. Expert advice will help you avoid mistakes.
To independently mount the device on the pipeline, you will need the following materials and tools:
- check valve for sewerage;
- construction knife for cutting plastic pipes on a horizontal or vertical riser;
- building level: the valve must be installed strictly according to the standards;
- various fasteners.
If the manufacturer did not equip the device with fasteners, then you need to prepare self-tapping screws, dowels and plastic clamps.
Step by step installation of the valve
Installation of a fan valve for constipation from the reverse flow of water is carried out in several steps:
- Choice of location. For installation, the junction of the sewer pipe and the toilet bowl or the point of contact of two pipes is suitable.
- If the device is mounted horizontally, then it is necessary to set the level. If the installation takes place in a vertical pipeline, then the angle of inclination does not matter.
- The system is assembled in such a way that the sockets are directed in the opposite direction to the water flow.
- O‑rings and gaskets must be used. If desired, you can use sealed glue.
- To install a non-return valve on the sewer yourself, preventing its vibration in the future, it is recommended to use clamps to fix the device on a wall or floor.
Installation does not require special skills — it can be done by hand within 1–2 hours.
In order to avoid mistakes during installation and operation, it is necessary to heed the advice of plumbing specialists. For example, when installing a valve with an electric drive, it is necessary to prepare in advance the place and access to the power supply to the device. The placement of the device must be in accordance with safety standards.
In order for the constipation to work properly before installation, it is important to study the instructions and find out if there is a need for installation in a strictly indicated position. Installing plastic constipation on cast iron pipes is allowed only if adapters are used. If the valve has become unusable, it is better to completely replace the installation than to look for parts to repair the product, risking an emergency situation.
Check valves are a necessary element of the sewer system in an apartment and a house. You can install it on your own, it will not take much time, but the owner of the home will be sure of his safety.