Metal products during welding are the main objects for versatile processing. According to statistics, among them, cutting pipes with a grinder tool becomes the most common type. A variety of nozzles allows you to perform grinding and polishing. They are a secondary type of work that follows cutting.
Varieties of devices
Attachments to the grinder differ in the functions that they can perform:
- smooth cutting;
- cutting bars and pipes (diameter within 50–125 mm);
- cleaning and peeling of obsolete layers of surfaces;
- use as a chain saw;
- collection of dust during the process.
The most popular among devices for high-quality cutting of pipes with a grinder are cutting discs. This type of products is produced by numerous domestic and foreign developers. Separately, it is worth noting the universal Japanese nozzles of the Hitachi brand.
How to make a do-it-yourself device for cutting pipes with an angle grinder
Buying a ready-made machine is easy. But this option involves a lot of ensuing problems in further work, since most structures do not have a sufficient degree of rigidity. This is due to the material used — duralumin. This factor forces the owners to either create new, more durable and accurate designs for cutting pipes with a grinder, or improve the current ones.
In fact, it turns out that making your own rigid base for future work is much more convenient. It is more difficult to remake previously developed products by someone. In addition, this approach often has a number of limitations due to design features.
Cutting a pipe of various diameters and thicknesses with a grinder is possible by creating two types of stationary cutting machines:
- A simple option is to attach the tool to the workbench with additional materials.
- The complex version includes the previous layout, as well as a number of additional actions to create more rigidity of the tool during translational movements. For this reason, it takes more time, but allows for better accuracy.
Cutting profile pipes is a simple process. But it is she who requires high accuracy, which lies in the accuracy and evenness of the final cut. Therefore, the organization of the future process must be thought out and requires the development of a home-made or purchased machine. To do this, you will need tools in the form of an electric drill and a welding machine. In addition to them, you will need a set of the following consumables:
- metal plates,
- standard list of fasteners (nuts, bolts, washers).
The manufacture of simple fixtures for efficient pipe cutting with a grinder can be done in a few hours. The skeleton will then be a long metal pipe, which will play the role of a handle and a frame at the same time. A transverse bar is welded to one of the ends. It should have two holes for the subsequent fastening of the grinder.
Important! For an even more reliable fit, attach to one of the edges of the pipe to a corner with a movable shaft. The corner is fixed to the tabletop or to the floor. A spring is fixed on the opposite side of the fastener. It helps to ensure the return movement of the entire structure during operation.
The final stage is the fixing of the grinder itself. The machine options described in brief are suitable for simple types of work. Details on the required parts and consumables, as well as the creation of a high-precision machine for using the angle grinder while cutting pipes of different diameters and thicknesses are listed below.
Cutting machine (simple version)
A simple implementation method consists of making a base, on which stable connecting elements are subsequently attached to accommodate the movable plate. The list of works on the creation of a cutting machine:
- For the procedure, you should select a plate with a thickness of at least 2 mm and dimensions of 15 by 15 or 10 by 10 mm. A short one will be needed if you have an iron workbench.
- Next, two rectangular plates are welded at a distance of 5–8 cm between them. The dimensions of the elements along the length will be about 8–10 cm, depending on the features of the power tool.
- Straight holes are made at the base of the plates. Connecting bolts are installed in them.
- Then a steel plate of about 20–30 cm is taken. The width should be less than the distance between the previous plates.
- An elongated sleeve is welded onto the reverse side of the movable element. Subsequently, a bolt for connection is placed in it.
- The tool is fastened to the movable plate using ties, clamps or identical methods. The number must be strictly greater than 2.
- Fixing the tool to the workbench.
- Work testing.
Sometimes, in some cases, the handle is welded and an auto-return spring is installed. The latter will allow you to move the angle grinder up as needed. In general, the simplicity of the option allows you to use a minimum number of structural details and at the same time fully organize the cutting process.
Cutting machine for precision work
To carry out work with a high degree of accuracy, a more complex version of the creation of the unit is used. The basic list will include the following items:
- Metal profiles (15–20 cm);
- Metal sheet (thickness — 2–3 mm);
- Sleeve (10–15 cm);
- Metal corner;
- Hairpin (length — 20 cm);
- Puck set.
Stages of creating a high-precision cutting machine:
- Cutting the stud and placing a sleeve inside it. Tightening nuts on both sides. It is better to tighten two nuts, which will create the effect of a lock nut.
- The nuts are not completely screwed in to avoid contact with the sleeve.
- Welding the structure to a steel sheet with free movement of the sleeve.
- Fasteners are made on the basis of metal profiles. They are cut to the desired size and washers are welded to them. 2 or 3 mounts recommended.
- The handles are attached to the threaded holes to the base of the movable type using the brackets obtained in the previous step. Fastening is carried out by connecting with bolts.
- The reverse ends of each of the profiles are welded to the sleeve.
It is worth noting that the corner in a constructive plan is necessary as a guide. It makes it possible to center cutting materials. If a straight hole is made in the sheet, then an even higher level of accuracy will be ensured during the cut. For this reason, such designs are often called pendulum saws.
At the heart of the milling machine is the driving element — the cutter. With its help, the processing of flat and shaped surfaces occurs. In the case of using a grinder, the machine can be made in two variations:
- With a movable angle grinder (angle grinder), the tool mount is located in a vertical plane with respect to a special frame. With its help, the grinder moves along the milled workpiece.
- With a rigidly fixed angle grinder, the grinder is motionless, and the workpiece moves in the intended direction.
To make a milling machine, you will need the following list of materials:
- angle grinder;
- welding machine;
- a set of fasteners;
- electric drill;
- Chipboard or plywood sheet;
- wrenches and hex keys;
- metal corners;
A stationary milling machine involves a structure consisting of a stable base, a movable or fixed tabletop with a rail (as a ruler) and a drive. For horizontal cutting, it is necessary to fix the angle grinder to the plate, install the guides and fix the workpiece to be processed on the working surface. Processing is carried out by a movable product.
With a fixed angle grinder, it is required to make a mobile work surface. To do this, the tabletop itself moves. Guides for fixing are designed on it. The angle grinder itself in this case is mounted on a vertical-type frame on the side in relation to the workbench.
Particular attention should be paid to the caps of the screws. They must be completely recessed, must not protrude above the work surfaces. Before carrying out all the processes, cutters should be purchased that will serve as attachments for the grinder.
Cutters may look like cutting discs or key bits. The first will simply replace the grinding wheel and will be attached to the shaft with a clamping nut. For the second, you will additionally need a special adapter.
Working with an angle grinder implies the presence of a certain danger, therefore, separate operating rules are necessarily subject to this type of work:
- the angle grinder nozzle must necessarily correspond to the material for further processing;
- it is forbidden to remove the protective case;
- the speed of the angle grinder must correspond to a minimum;
- the grinder must correspond to the power loads of the employee using it (it can escape from the hands);
- tool fastening must be rigid;
- work must be done with protective gloves;
- the surface of the workpiece must be checked for uniformity (especially for metal parts);
- all actions can be performed only within the same plane;
- distortions during operation are prohibited;
- in the operating mode, the button cannot be blocked;
- The power to the power tool must be turned off when changing discs and attachments.