How often does the housing office receive questions regarding heating of residential premises? Constantly! Some residents in the house are constantly cold, others have heat, and others have annoying sounds from the pipes. But, unfortunately, utilities cannot please all residents at the same time. But there is a solution to this problem, and this is a balancing valve for the heating system.
Causes of uneven heat distribution in rooms
Modern high-rise buildings and private houses are heated by a heating system consisting of radiators and pipelines. Both elements form one structure, along which the flow of hot water is evenly distributed to heat the living space.
However, despite the fact that the water pipes are made of durable metal, and professionals are involved in the design of the heating system, problems often arise with uneven supply of hot water through the pipes. Additional reasons can also be low pressure, high water flow rate or a large amount of cold air inside the pipes.
What is a balancing valve for?
There are several ways to solve the problem of uneven distribution of heat in rooms. Because of their internal malfunction. In other cases, such as self-regulation of the hot water flow or a decrease / increase in pressure inside the pipes, it is necessary to use a balancing valve for a two-pipe heating system.
It is made in the form of a small armature with a valve at the top. The balancer is built into the heating system and regulates the flow of warm water through the pipes. At the same time, he also ensures that the pressure in the water supply remains within normal limits. Then the liquid inside the structure does not stagnate, gradually moves through the pipes and evenly distributes heat.
In addition, the installation of a balancing valve provides such advantages as:
- Saving money on heating bills.
- Creating the most comfortable air temperature in the room.
- Simplifies the start of the heating system.
Another not unimportant advantage of this device is the fact that it can extend the life of the batteries. Sooner or later, but any heating system has to be balanced, due to constant pressure surges and harsh operating conditions in the cold season. Therefore, the old heating system may fail. In the best case, it will stop heating one of the parts of the building, in the worst case, the pipes will not withstand the pressure, and their contents may begin to leak.
Types of balancing valves
You can install a balancing valve on any heating system. But besides the usual two-pipe room, there are other pipelines. For them, the designers invented other versions of the device, which can be classified according to different principles of operation.
- According to their function, valves are divided into manual and automatic. Such a device can be placed on one of the segments of the battery, where you can easily reach. If a person plans to use the balancing valve constantly, then it is better to use the manual version of the device. It has the form of a nozzle on a pipe with a valve, with which you can control the flow of hot water. If the room is hot enough, then just turn the valve, and the valve will create an obstacle inside the pipe. Thus, the battery has less heat source, and gradually cools down.
There are also options for manual balancers, which are designed to immediately adjust several radiators at the same time. This version of the device helps a person to set the same air temperature in all rooms of his living space.
The automatic type of balancing valves performs this process independently without human intervention. Usually they are installed in pairs on one pipeline, then the minimum and maximum amount of heat that the batteries must generate is selected (the calculation is made by professionals). And the balancing valve regulates the heat supply in accordance with the schedule entered into the device.
- According to the engineering system, valves are divided into combined and specific. It is clear from the name that balancing of a particular type is intended for a narrow purpose. One type of valve provides only heating in the room, others deal with water supply, and still others provide air conditioning. Combined ones combine all three purposes, while having a more complex design and higher cost.
- According to the method of the locking mechanism, valves and balls are isolated inside the pipe. Inside the device there is a part with the help of which the flow of water is regulated. Most often, buyers prefer mechanisms with valves. In their opinion, they are more accurate in the tuning process. But ball valves, on the contrary, are less accurate. But if not ordinary hot water flows through the pipes, but a viscous substance with good heat transfer, then the second type of valves will be more successful in use.
- according to the adjustment parameter. Balancing valves are divided into four types: consumable — calculates the flow of fluid in pipes, temperature — monitors the set temperature, to balance pressure and combined — combine all other types of adjustments.
However, it is worth remembering that the setting of the hot water flow in the heat pipe is not the only variable in this process. As the heat supply decreases, the pressure inside the pipes begins to rise. Therefore, it is not enough for an ordinary person to simply select the settings of his balancer. Before you start using it, the device must be connected to the heating system, and then set to it the starting settings for the minimum and maximum fluid flow. Only a professional can do this. After the installation process, a regular user can make their own adjustments to the operation of the device within the settings of the wizard.
Balancing valve installation
The only classification that was not indicated in the previous paragraph concerns the installation of an apartment balancing valve in the heating system. They are divided into several types in accordance with the method of fastening the reinforcement:
The strength of the balancing valve does not depend on how it is attached to the main structure of the heating system. It already depends on the factory that was involved in the assembly and development of the device.
However, in order to keep the overall design strong and secure, and serve its owner for more than one year, there are several tips.
Firstly, there is already a hint on the body of the balancing valve on how to install it correctly. At the junction of the fittings with the pipe there is an arrow, which during installation must coincide in direction with the fluid flow. Thus, the closing valve or ball itself will create resistance during temperature adjustment.
If there is no such arrow, then the manufacturer has made sure that the valve is installed regardless of the direction of flow.
Secondly, before you start installing the valve, you need to take care of its safety in case of possible mechanical damage. To do this, in front of the valve, you need to make a layer of a filter and a sump.
Thirdly, the mechanical impact on the valve may be due to turbulence. To reduce its impact on the structure, the valve should be installed only on straight sections of the pipe. The distance between the bend of the pipeline and the valve is indicated in the instructions for the device. For each model, this parameter may be different.
Balancing valve setting
After the valve has been installed, the process of adjusting the balancing valve begins. Of course, the heating system itself already has its own characteristics in which direction the liquid should flow through the pipes, at what speed and under what pressure. However, it fails over time. And therefore the balancers regulate this process instead of it.
Before starting the individual settings of the balancer, it is necessary to find out the characteristics of the pipeline itself, and adjust the values of the device to them. But even this is not done according to any formula from the school curriculum and a calculator.
To do this, the installer of balancers must have a special table in which the main values of all variables in the pipeline are selected and their compliance with the standards of the device itself. For finer adjustments, special tools such as a flow meter may be required.
The balancing valve is a great alternative to other heat sources like space heaters for several reasons. Firstly, they are introduced directly into the heating system. Secondly, they save money to pay utility bills. Thirdly, they extend the life of the pipeline in the room. Fourth, it does not take up much space. And not unimportant fifth plus, because of which it is worth buying this device — it’s simple control.
The device built into the balancing valve for the heating system is very easy to use when it comes to room appliances. To adjust the temperature in them, it is enough to turn the valve a little, and the device itself will make all the other settings for the person. The automatic type of device does not need human participation at all. It adjusts to the environment.
Therefore, the only thing that depends on the buyer today is to make their choice in favor of a quality manufacturer, and not a cheap balancing valve, it is also necessary to find a suitable master who will help with its installation.