Since the commissioning of an apartment building, residents depend on the quality of the work of enterprises that provide this house with gas, water, electricity, heating and the Internet. And if you can stock up on water for future use, and you can live without a TV or the Internet for some time, then it is difficult to imagine a person’s actions in the winter during interruptions in heating. That is why the low quality of services provided by heating network enterprises and high average tariffs are pushing many of our compatriots to create autonomous gas heating for apartments in apartment buildings. All the intricacies of heating a home in this way will be discussed in this article.
What to prepare for? Educational program for beginners
If you are not satisfied with cold radiators, when it is already cold outside, and the heating season has not yet begun, if you do not understand why the batteries are “ice” in one room, and in the other they are red-hot so that you cannot put your hand on their surface if there are interruptions with heating and hot water have become more the rule than the exception, then experts recommend installing autonomous gas heating in the apartment, unless, of course, the apartment is gasified.
If you decide to install “autonomy” in your own apartment, then you need to be prepared for the following:
- Sufficiently tough opposition to your heat supply organization.
- Non-acceptance of your decision by the co-owners of the apartment building, in other words, by your neighbors.
- Legislative denials and bureaucratic delays in the gas, fire service, as well as in the bodies for the protection of architectural monuments.
- Complete replacement of internal piping.
- Financial costs for the creation of the project, purchase and installation of equipment.
In fact, opponents of individual heating have quite good reasons for this. After disconnecting any room of a residential building from centralized heating, thermal workers have to re-balance the entire heating system of the house. In addition, the refusal of central heating is the termination of financing of the heat supply organization. Within the framework of one apartment, this is imperceptible, but with a massive transition to “autonomy” — this is the bankruptcy of a huge organization.
Individual gas heating in an apartment building requires competent removal of the products of combustion of the gas mixture. In houses with chimneys, this is not a problem. In modern buildings, a chimney is not provided, therefore, exhaust gases are discharged into a separate ventilation branch or through a coaxial chimney, which is discharged through a load-bearing wall. With such a chimney, carbon monoxide cannot be excluded from entering neighboring apartments: in the first case, through a vent; in the second — through open vents and windows.
The decision to install an individual heating system is very good to initially discuss with a lawyer. The thing is that in some regions of Europe the creation of an “autonomy” is prohibited by local legislative bodies.
There is another option for avoiding central heating, without delay and hassle — contacting an organization that sells equipment, installs and maintains individual heating systems. For some remuneration, these offices independently solve problems with permits, projects, within an acceptable time frame.
The device and principle of operation of the individual heating system
A standard autonomous heating system consists of a gas boiler, a chimney, the required amount of pipeline, radiators, valves, coarse filters. The main device in the autonomous heating system is the boiler. It can be single-circuit and double-circuit. The first type of boiler units is designed only for heating the coolant. The second allows you to create, along with autonomous heating, an apartment hot water system.
There are two main schemes of the heating system: one-pipe and two-pipe. The former is structurally simpler and requires fewer materials, which makes it financially attractive. But such a scheme assumes a sequential arrangement of radiators, which leads to the fact that already cooled coolant enters the last batteries in turn. The second option is more complicated and more expensive, but thanks to the two-pipe scheme, the coolant is evenly distributed between the radiators.
The principle of operation of this system is quite simple: a gas-air mixture is burned in the burner. The heat released during combustion heats the walls of the heat exchanger, which, in turn, heat the coolant. Through the pipeline, it enters the radiators, where it cools slightly. After that, the coolant returns to the boiler heat exchanger, where it is heated and the process is repeated.
The figure shows a standard two-pipe scheme for individual heating and hot water supply of an apartment with a coolant outlet for “warm floors”.
Advantages and disadvantages
Before you decide to install gas heating in an apartment: the pros and cons must be determined immediately. So, the advantages:
- The happy owner of individual heat supply pays only for the amount of cubic meters of blue fuel that he actually spent on heating. In this case, the more economical the boiler, the lower the gas bill.
- The owner of the “autonomy” does not pay for heat losses during the transportation of the coolant. As practice shows, this is up to 30% savings.
- The individual heating system allows you to independently set the most comfortable thermal regime in the premises.
- This apartment heating system allows the owner to start and end the heating season at will.
- Modern equipment for “autonomy” is quite compact and has several levels of protection.
In addition, according to statistics, the owner of an “autonomous apartment” saves on utility bills by more than 2 times. Despite the abundance of advantages, a person who decides to refuse central heating must really represent all the shortcomings of individual heating that he will have to face.
- The availability of heat and hot water supply depends on the gas pressure and the availability of electricity. If in your home a regular blackout is the norm, then in order not to freeze in winter, you should better refuse such a heating system.
- This system requires regular maintenance and expensive maintenance.
Before you start creating an individual heat supply for your own home, you must understand that as the owner you take full responsibility for the serviceability and proper use of the system. Remember that improper operation of gas appliances can lead to an explosion, from which the entire apartment building will suffer.