Relatively recently, gas-electric heating boilers appeared on the market. The equipment has become very popular due to its functionality — gas and electricity are used as fuel, which allows switching to another in the absence of one energy source.
Each system may have a different device, the common similarity lies in the spacing of the two heaters in different housings with mandatory grounding, which ensures a high level of safety. There are several schemes that differ in the principle of operation:
- 2 heaters operate continuously and in parallel;
- the main element is an electric heater, and the gas device is connected to increase the output power and water temperature;
- the gas burner is the main one, and the electric heater is the secondary one.
Advantages and disadvantages of combined heating systems
When considering the characteristics and capabilities of gas-electric heating boilers, the following number of advantages can be distinguished:
- high efficiency, performance can be up to 97%
- compact dimensions simplify the installation process;
- minimal impact on the environment;
- combined systems are characterized by low consumption of gas and electricity;
- depending on the situation, switching from one energy source to another is carried out automatically;
- the equipment can be used both for space heating and hot water supply;
- the cost pays off in the process of operation.
There are also disadvantages:
- to connect electric gas boilers of a combined type, a three-phase network will be required and, in most cases, coordination in the relevant authorities;
- limited scope of use: country houses and cottages;
- the price is about 70% higher when compared with analogues that run only on gas;
- Periodic maintenance and preventive inspections are required.
Features of the device and principle of operation
There are several types of gas-electric boilers for home heating:
- The main heating element is a gas burner. Equipment with a powerful gas burner can be used for heating rooms with a large area. The electric heater is used here for heating, which allows you to overclock the system at minimal cost.
- The principle of operation of systems with a main electric drive is the same as that of electric boilers. The automatic connection of the gas burner occurs when the temperature drops, that is, at the moment when excess voltage is pumped onto the power grid.
- Designs where two heaters operate simultaneously are complex due to the rhythmic interaction of asynchronous heating. The units are efficient and constantly provide a stable temperature with minimal consumption of gas and electricity.
Advice! The choice of a particular boiler design should be based on the required functions, area and architectural features of the building. In the absence of experience in this area, it is better to turn to professionals for the drafting of a heating system.
Description and capabilities of double-circuit boilers
For houses and cottages located in the countryside, double-circuit gas-electric boilers are ideal due to the following advantages:
- Less gas consumption;
- the cost of a double-circuit heat generator is higher than a single-circuit one, but lower when compared with the cost of equipment with a single circuit and an integrated boiler;
- there is a simultaneous heating of hot water and the heat carrier;
- less space is required for installation due to its compact size, which allows installation in the kitchen or in the furnace room, but subject to all norms and requirements.
But there are also disadvantages here:
- the consumption of gas, electricity and water must be balanced;
- if the flow of hot water decreases with unregulated gas, then the temperature rises;
- it will be necessary to reconfigure the equipment in case of a change in pressure in the water supply network;
- periodic maintenance is necessary, as with hard water, carbonate deposits form quickly on the heat exchangers, which generally leads to a decrease in performance or breakage;
- when the faucet is turned on, cold water will be supplied for about 30 seconds.
Advice! It should be understood that all the disadvantages of double-circuit gas-electric boilers depend on the technical characteristics and the manufacturer. When buying heating equipment, it is better to use the services of a specialist.
What are the installation requirements?
The connection of electric gas boilers must be carried out in compliance with certain norms and rules, and it is also required to follow the attached instructions from the manufacturer. Depending on the design, installation can be floor or wall.
In any case, regardless of the device, the following requirements must be observed during installation work:
- according to fire safety conditions, the walls and floor of the room intended for the installation of a gas-electric heating boiler must be insulated, for example, with a sheet of metal;
- when working, you must be guided by the connection diagram, which was issued by the employees of the gas service;
- when using several sources of thermal energy connected in parallel, each should be provided with a free approach;
- the system must be connected to a protected electrical network (grounded and isolated);
- when installing the chimney, it is obligatory to observe the distance from the walls, all requirements can be found in the technical data sheet;
- the circulation pump is selected taking into account the length of the engineering network and the diameter of the pipes;
- it is allowed to use only threaded types of connections;
- double-circuit designs involve the use of filters for water purification for each circuit.
Subject to the rules for connecting electric gas boilers, there will be no problems with performance, efficiency, fire safety, uninterrupted operation, and high efficiency is also guaranteed.