The assembly and installation of a metal-polymer water supply system is carried out without welding and with a small set of affordable and inexpensive tools.
It is these factors, as well as the good technical characteristics of the material, that allow you to carry out the process of assembling and connecting the water supply system with your own hands.
This is the case when savings bring double dividends: saving money and experience that will never be superfluous.
Distinctive features of materials
Advantages of metal-plastic products:
- long period of use;
- increased throughput in comparison with a metal water pipe of the same diameter;
- does not require special devices to create the desired bending angle;
- quick and easy installation of the structure;
- low coefficient of thermal conductivity;
- good sound insulation;
- do not rust;
- resistant to the formation of internal deposits;
- the system is assembled with a minimum of waste;
- compatibility with other materials;
- high resistance to freezing;
- the quality of the transported liquid does not change;
- a properly installed water supply system (with access to the main nodes) is elementary in repair.
- with numerous bends of one point, damage to the inner metal layer is possible;
- with sudden changes in temperature, leaks may occur at the joints, requiring tightening or complete replacement of the fittings;
- direct sunlight is detrimental to products with a polymer coating.
Metal-plastic pipes are produced with diameters from 16 mm to 63 mm. In the construction of housing, materials are used, the diameter of which does not exceed 40 mm.
Optimum and cost-effective options are diameters 16 and 20 mmbut they can only be used if your water supply system has constant good pressure.
The small diameter of the product will cause turbulence in the water flow, and the throughput will decrease several times. Consider this fact when choosing a material.
- product diameter 16–63 mm;
- thickness of the outer polymer coating 2 — 3 mm;
- aluminum layer thickness 0.19 — 0.3 mm;
- the weight of a pipe with a diameter of 16 mm is 105 g, and with the largest diameter — 1224 g (the weight of a running meter is indicated);
- +95°С – optimal operating temperature;
- withstand short-term load up to +110°С;
- freeze at low temperature;
- minimum bending radius 80 — 125 mm with manual method.
Tools required for plumbing installation
- Spanners: adjustable and carob. They are used for tightening nuts in compression fittings.
- Scissors for cutting pipes. Without their use, cutting the material into the desired segments with smooth edges is much more difficult.
- sanding paper necessary for cleaning cuts from small roughness.
- Calibrator. With its help, the slice is returned to the original roundness lost during the cutting process.
- Press tongs required for manual crimping of press fittings.
- Building hair dryer used for heating pipes before bending.
Installation technology. Installation instructions
- The fitting is untwisted: mounting nuts are removed from the ends, sealing rings are removed from the fittings.
- The pipe must be straightened and cut with scissors. It is not recommended to use other tools for cutting: the cut is uneven, the integrity of the protective layer of the material may be violated.
- Sections must be carefully cleaned and calibrated. Poorly machined ends can damage the o‑rings and compromise the tightness of the connection.
- A union nut with a sealing ring is put on the prepared segment. The fitting fitting is connected to the pipe and fixed with a nut: first by hand, and then with a wrench.
Control compression! When you hear the characteristic crackling of the metal, stop the process. It is important to keep a balance: a poorly tightened fitting will not be able to ensure the tightness of the system, and an overtightened one can be immediately thrown away.
To learn more about how installation is carried out using threaded (collet) fittings, see the video:
- As in the first case, the pipe is pre-prepared: cut, cleaned and calibrated. Pay attention to the end: its cut must be perpendicular to the central axis of the conduit.
- Having removed the sleeve, we check the rings and gaskets, and then we assemble the fitting. This is done in order to exclude the possibility of installation of defective elements.
- A piece of pipe is pushed onto the fitting of the press fitting. The landing depth is controlled visually (through a special hole on the sleeve).
- From the opposite end of the fitting, the nozzle process is carried out in the same way.
- With press pliers we press the connecting sleeve inside the fitting.
The installation process will be faster and more successful if you buy fittings and pipes from the same manufacturer.
- Connection does not require additional tools and fixtures.
- It is necessary to check whether the block is tightened to the stop.
- A piece of pipe prepared in advance is simply inserted into the opening of the fitting.
To reuse the push fitting, it is necessary to disassemble the structure. To do this, unscrew the retaining block and remove the pipe. The belleville spring must be replaced with a new one — now the fitting is ready for use again.
Mounting to the walls of the assembled sections is carried out using special clips or brackets, which must be selected taking into account the diameter of the product.
How to bend plastic pipes
You can bend the metal-polymer pipe manually. In this case, there are small subtleties that are worth knowing: the bending process must be carried out gradually (in several stages) and with the help of a building hair dryer.
It is necessary to heat the pipe with a hair dryer. Grab your hands so that your thumbs are along the pipe and serve as a kind of emphasis. Slowly and gradually we begin the process of bending in several approaches, if necessary, heating the product with a hairdryer.
Do not make sudden movements! It is important to maintain the integrity of the inner layer and not deform the outer one. At the moment of folding, do not forget about the permissible bending radius, which is indicated in the “Technical data” section. To practice skills, use small cuts.
You can watch the video on how to bend metal-plastic pipes correctly:
Prices for materials and services
Average services for laying a metal-plastic water pipe will cost you at least 30 dollars (excluding the cost of materials). The price will vary depending on the complexity and scope of work.
One linear meter of a metal-polymer pipe (16 mm) costs an average of 75 rubles, with a diameter of 26 mm — 185 rubles. The price range of fittings is from 109 to 3 dollars.
The installation methods described above will be performed by a man who has minimal skills. Measure your strengths and capabilities. And know that the end result depends only on your desire and effort!