A large part of the family budget is spent on utility bills. It is possible to significantly reduce the amount in payments with the help of special tools that record the real consumption of resources, whether it be water, gas or heat.
The Government of the EU strongly recommends doing this, threatening a significant increase in the cost of utility bills in apartments that are not equipped with metering devices. Water meters, unlike other control devices, can be installed independently.
The cost of buying and installing two water meters for hot and cold water will pay off in four months for a family of 3 people who are not too concerned about savings. With a prudent approach, the payback period can be reduced by almost half.
How to choose a water meter
Exists 4 types of measuring instruments for water:
- pulse (electromagnetic and electronic);
- mechanical (subdivided into vane, turbine and combined);
According to its purpose counters are divided into three types:
- for hot water;
- for cold water;
In our country, mechanical and electronic accounting systems are available and in demand.
Mechanical counter price varies within from 300 to 5 dollars. Service life — up to 12 years.
All these factors, as well as low measurement error and simple installation, attract buyers. The disadvantage of these devices is the sensitivity to magnetic fields and the composition of water.
Electronic water meters better, but cost several times more from 800 to 20 dollars.
Doubtless the advantages are:
- measurement accuracy,
- quick dismantling for inspection,
- installation in horizontal and vertical position,
- long service life.
- high price,
- the need to maintain a constant power supply to the electronic unit.
When buying a device, pay attention to the package and the presence of a product passport. The serial number on the device must fully match the data in the passport. The meter model must be entered in the State Register of Measuring Instruments of the EU. To avoid trouble in the future — buy water meters in specialized stores.
The counter must be equipped with:
- check valve,
- mesh filter,
- two Americans.
Valve will provide a one-way outflow of water, and filter — saves the meter from pollutionthereby extending the life of the device.
Stopcock you will need to buy with a steel handle. Its cost is 300 — 6 dollarsdepending on the manufacturer.
Installing a water meter yourself
Instrument preparation and installation site selection
Toolrequired for water meter installation:
- scissors for cutting pipes;
- adjustable or gas key;
- calibrator (if pipes are made of metal-plastic);
- tape measure and marker;
- set of wrenches;
- apparatus for welding pipes (if you have a plastic line);
- grinder and threading machine (for metal plumbing).
Choosing an installation location device, keep in mind that for proper operation, the water meter must be protected from adverse factors:
- mechanical or chemical damage;
- temperature fluctuations.
Monthly to you take water meter readingsperiodically hand them over for inspection to the appropriate services and change filters for cleaning, therefore free access is also required.
Between the main water supply riser and the meter there should be no outlets or plumbing fixtures in which the water flow will not be recorded by a water meter.
Assembly scheme of elements
Water meter installation begins with the assembly of the structure, which includes:
- water meter;
- coarse filter;
- check valve;
- union nuts (American);
- ball valve.
Below scheme will help you do everything quickly and correctly.
- Before Assembly study the installation rules, instructions and data sheet.
- Lay out the materials in a row (see diagram). Notice the arrows.
- Make a preliminary “dry” assembly of the mechanism. It is necessary in order to determine the number of turns for threaded connections (the water meter sump should look down), and will also help determine the length of the pipe section that will need to be cut.
- Taking everything apart again connect using spacers for union nuts and fum-tape (sanitary linen or tangit) for other threaded connections.
The American comes with the device, but sealing gaskets may have to be bought separately, since hot water requires paronite gaskets, and rubber gaskets for cold water.
- In the assembled structure, all elements must be located as indicated in the diagram.
- Filter before counter will need to be cleaned periodically, so if access to it is difficult — turn it a little to the side.
Insertion into the highway
The mechanism is assembled and Now you can start tapping into the water main.
For this it is necessary using a tape measure to make accurate measurements of the assembled counter unit — it is such a piece of pipe that we need to remove. Be sure to turn off the water supply!
- If you have a metal system, then the best option would be to replace part of the plumbing with plastic elements, using special fittings for the transition. Otherwise, you will have to cut threads on the pipes.
- In the presence of a plastic or metal-plastic water supply it is necessary, with the help of scissors, to cut off a piece of pipe. Fittings for metal-plastic pipes connected to a pre-cleaned and calibrated pipe.
- If polypropylene pipes are installedthe couplings will need to be welded into the structure using a welding machine.
- We connect the device block with fixed fittings.
After installation, it is necessary to check the operation of the system.
- Open the tap on the riser and turn on the water.
- Slowly turn the stopcock on the meter block to the stop.
- If there are no leaks and the device is functioning normally, you have completed the first part of the task.
For more information on how to properly install a water meter with your own hands, see the video:
The meter is installed and working properly, but until you call the inspector, you will continue to pay at the old rates.
Need to contact serviceswho control and operate the water main.
If you live in a housing cooperative or condominium, contact the administration. In other cases — directly to Vodokanal.
An inspector will visit you within 3–5 days vodokanal or an authorized employee of the housing cooperative or housing association. He must draw up an act of commissioning, where the initial readings of the meter will be entered.
You will receive a service contract, which must be read carefully, and all questions you are interested in asking before you sign the document. A copy of the contract and the act, as well as the original passport for the device, remains with you.
The legislation of the EU stipulates that sealing of meters should be free of charge during the initial installation of devicesas well as after a scheduled inspection or repair.
Keep this in mind if the inspector suddenly wants to mislead you. He is obliged to seal the assembly free of charge and document the process.
If during the use of the seal is damaged due to your fault — immediately report it. Contact details must be specified in the contract.
For re-sealing you will have to pay from 500 to 20 dollars (depending on the contract), but this amount will be much lower than what you will be required to if damage to the seal is found by the inspector during a scheduled inspection.
Verification of water meters is carried out by metrological organizations of the state and private property systems. You need to carry out periodic verification yourself, involving specialists for this.
Planned produced 6 years after the installation of a water meter for cold water and 4 years for hot water.
unscheduled verification is performed only if there is a suspicion of an incorrect display of water consumption or a breakdown.
Verifications are carried out in two ways:
- with dismantling of the device and subsequent delivery to the inspection organization
- with the call of a specialist — at home, i.e. without removal
In the first case – A special permit is required to remove the device. The inspector must come and record the readings of the device, give you the relevant documents. Take the water meter and pick it up yourself. Then the installation and again paperwork with the call of the controller.
If the device fails the test, you will still need to pay for it and take care of buying and installing a new one. The minimum cost for everything is 1250 rubles.
In the second case — verification is carried out by a service employee on site using a portable verification stand. The cost of the procedure is much lower (500–6 dollars).
The downside is that the quality of work is checked by the device, which, using high-precision scales, weighs the water passing through the water meter. Internal damage and wear of parts cannot be detected in this way.
For information on how verification is carried out at home without removing meters, see the video:
In some regions, the verification of water meters has been canceled and therefore illegal. We advise you to clarify information on your region in the Management Company or Vodokanal.
How much does it cost to install by a specialist
Average installation cost one water meter with registration and sealing is 28$. Contact only licensed and experienced professionals.
As you can see, no fundamental knowledge is required to install a water meter. Perhaps much more energy will take away from you communication with representatives of regulatory authorities.
Be alert — don’t let yourself be fooled. Boldly and decisively stand up for your rights!