Providing the premises with heat and water is a prerequisite for a comfortable stay for the family. Therefore, the installation of heating and water supply with copper pipes is one of the options for forming a system designed for long-term operation due to the structure of the material. In addition, such products are simply mounted and connected.
Features of the assembly of copper pipes
The assembly of copper products for cold and hot branches has practically no technological differences; the main thing is to take into account the type of connection and the category of the pipe itself.
Important! Hot water fittings are covered with a special heat-insulating material made of PVC film.
The installation of the water supply itself is carried out in one of 2 options:
For do-it-yourself installation of copper water pipes, the most affordable option is collet connections using threaded fittings, adapted for repeated use if disassembly or assembly is necessary.
To use them in the installation you need:
- put a compression fitting on the copper tube;
- fix the crimp ring on top;
- connect all applied parts and tighten the nut.
Important! The ferrule is intended for single use in order to give the structure tightness, so if the system has to be disassembled, a new element should be prepared in advance.
The number of fittings used is saved due to the flexibility of pipes for the heating heating system in the house.
When using the soldering method on your own, you need to stock up on knowledge and it’s good to have experience in using soldering equipment.
The whole process consists of the following steps:
- cleaning the edges of pipes and fittings to final cleanliness;
- using a brush, you need to create a thin layer of soldering flux;
- insert the pipe into the fitting to the maximum;
- the folded connecting unit is evenly heated by a gas burner or a building hair dryer, so that heating occurs equally over the entire area, it is better to use a blowtorch with 2 burners;
- when the heating temperature reaches the set value for melting the solder, it is introduced into the junction;
- after hardening, excess flux is removed.
To determine the exact heating of the joint, it is necessary to touch it with solder, if it melts, then the material is ready for further action.
Important! In order not to guess the moment of introducing solder, it is better to mount copper pipes provided for sale with prepared material in a special chute. As soon as the connection is heated to the required temperature, the solder will fill the gap between the pipe and the fitting, connecting them securely.
However, the process of installing copper pipes is preceded by a moment of preparation — the material is easily cut and bent, but everything should be done correctly. In addition, consider the classification of copper products.
|Wall thickness 0.2 – 0.7 mm
0.8 — 1 mm
|Grade “D” — cold-rolled or drawn
Grade “C” — drawn or welded
|Normal and high strength
|Additional conditions for the manufacture of pipes
Moreover, each product has its own marking, which greatly simplifies the selection of material.
In order to choose the right pipe for installation, the following nuances should be taken into account during the acquisition process:
- density — it is better to give preference to a material with a low density, then the acquisition will occur products with a small weight;
- low coefficient of thermal conductivity — provides an opportunity to determine how quickly heat loss occurs;
- melting point of the material — the study of this item makes it possible to regulate the temperature of the water in it after assembly;
- outer surface — must be smooth without pores so as not to trap dirt particles;
- expansion of the web under heating will provide an opportunity to understand how much expansion will occur at high temperature conditions.
Types of fittings
For fastening, 2 types are used:
- capillary — for welding through the use of solder, which is attracted on a capillary basis and fills voids;
- press fitting — an option for mounting copper pipelines using crimping and related accessories. This option is convenient, fast and safe, but the components are higher.
Installation option taking into account the method of water supply
The peculiarity of installing copper pipes depends on the method of water supply and can be done in 2 options:
- single-pipe — simple, since the radiators are mounted in series one after the other according to the principle of a ring in which water circulates;
- two-pipe — radiators are installed in parallel and equipped with additional heat exchangers that provide water temperature control.
Important! Before starting the heating system, it is necessary to initially check the assembled structure through the action of excess pressure.
In order to stock up on the exact amount of materials before installation, it is necessary to draw up a diagram in which to mark the placement of the system, and calculate the amount of material and additional components.
To mount pipes, you should prepare special devices:
- Pipe cutter or hacksaw.
- Manual calibrator.
- Soldering torch.
During the installation process, processes such as cutting, bending, assembling units, soldering, pressing and welding will be performed. In addition, end sizing and deburring, deburring, flux application and deburring.
The heating system must be protected from heat loss, including radiators. The most optimal material for this is polyethylene foam. A protection has been created as a shell for the pipe. It costs a penny, but the heat savings are significant.
The whole installation feature is as follows:
- cut the canvases into segments according to measurements, using a hacksaw or pipe cutter for this;
- cleaning from burrs and other flaws;
- the place of the cut is also additionally aligned;
- if necessary, bend the products manually or using a special material;
- if there are special curved sections, a pipe bender should be used;
- it is important to take into account the maximum permissible radius;
- the bending radius during manual operation should not decrease below 8 diameters, and when using a tool, not less than 3.5 pipeline diameters.
Important! Copper pipes should not be connected to aluminum radiators.
If they are used, a steel pipe should be used as an adapter to avoid the formation of corrosion.
Pros and cons of copper piping
All the features of operation from copper pipes of the heating system are in the numerous advantages of the material:
- harmless with bactericidal properties;
- durability of application with the preservation of operational qualities;
- resistance to corrosion and ultraviolet;
- work in a wide temperature range from ‑200 to +350 degrees;
- do not react with chlorine in water;
- have high thermal conductivity, which affects the efficiency;
- lack of plaque formation;
- resistant to freezing, withstand the process up to 4 times;
- withstand pressure up to 200 — 400 atmospheres;
- vibration resistant;
- presented in a wide range;
- are 100% recycled.
However, a significant disadvantage of such a pipeline is:
- high price of pipes and components — since copper itself has a high price and its presence in the composition of the product leads to its high cost;
- high density of the material compared to steel, which makes the entire system heavier;
- the complexity of the installation option by soldering, it requires the presence of a professional master.
But this is nothing compared to the durability of products.
The copper pipe heating system has many advantages, so it is in demand. Its main advantage is high heat transfer and durability of operation. Copper pipes look aesthetically pleasing without heat-insulating material. But the cost of such systems is high, given that a specialist must participate in their assembly.