Repair work in the bathroom is planned in advance and requires the study of all the details. You always want to cover as many problem areas as possible in order to put things in order at one time and not return to this issue again. The issue of replacing old pipes in the toilet and bathroom requires careful study and attention.
Reasons for replacing pipes in the bathroom and toilet
Bathroom remodeling does not end with replacing outdated finishes with new ones or changing faucets. The full functioning of plumbing is impossible without a complete replacement of the pipeline. In this case, not only the water supply pipes are subject to change, but also a complete alteration of the sewerage is to be done. This is not about cosmetic intervention or repainting of the existing network, but a complete disassembly and subsequent installation using new materials. Reasons for replacing sewer and water pipes:
- outdated appearance;
These factors are considered the reason for the planned replacement of pipes in the bathroom. In Khrushchevs and other houses of the Soviet era, communications were carried out using cast-iron pipes. As a result, over time, they were overgrown with several dozen layers of paint, acquired an awesome appearance, and in some places began to crumble. Inside, from constant contact with water, they were covered with a layer of rust, polluting the water, and partially clogged with it. It is not surprising that when planning a replacement, the old bulky structure must be dismantled.
However, there are situations when, as a result of severe deterioration, the pipeline fails on its own, provoking emergencies and forcing people to take emergency measures. As a rule, such an intervention is fraught with much larger material costs than the planned change of pipes. At the same time, a planned change of pipes allows you to think through all the details, select materials and save part of the family budget.
Recommendations for the selection of materials
A plumbing or riser made of cast iron has long gone out of fashion, takes up a lot of free space and does not work. The following materials will help you replace pipes with your own hands in the bathroom:
Each of these options has features, specifications, and an installation procedure. However, all of them are a modern and new alternative to outdated wiring.
Plastic is considered a complete material for creating a water or sewer network. You can buy it in every building supermarket, and due to its light weight, it will not be difficult to deliver products to your home. The advantages of plastic pipes include:
- ease of installation;
Metal-plastic is also considered an alternative to metal. Thanks to its technical characteristics, this material has long earned a positive reputation, and everyone can work with it. As a result, it will be easy to repair a water supply or sewerage system in Khrushchev. The positive aspects of metal-plastic are:
- resistance to mechanical stress;
- ease of installation;
- small dimensions.
Polypropylene is an innovative material used for the construction of communications in the bathroom. Products that are made from it are of high quality, which makes it possible to manufacture structures of any complexity on their basis. The positive aspects of polypropylene are:
- the ability to bend the product at an angle;
These materials are successfully used to create pipelines for various purposes. Plastic is more often used for the manufacture of sewer networks, and polypropylene and metal-plastic for the formation of water pipes.
Dismantling of old pipes: riser, drain and fan
Dismantling old pipes is a responsible task that does not tolerate inattention. Negligence in the operation of the method leads to the formation of fatal injuries that require large material costs. The elimination of old pipes is carried out according to a clear scheme:
- We turn off the taps, block the valves and turn off the taps, warn the neighbors about future work. We coordinate the replacement of the riser with the relevant authorities.
- We drain the remaining water from the water supply network and the riser.
- If possible, we remove plumbing, turn off electrical appliances and equipment.
- We take out from the room everything superfluous that can interfere with work.
- First, we dismantle the fan and drain pipes using an adjustable wrench.
- If the connections are not unscrewed, we take a hacksaw for metal or a grinder and cut them off at the very base — near the ceiling and floor.
- We make the first incision near the ceiling, carefully scrolling the grinder around the pipe.
- After making sure that the upper part has moved away, we move on to the lower incision.
- Similarly, we cut off the riser from below, holding it so that it does not fall.
- We take out the dismantled pipe from the room.
- Similarly, we cut and take out the fan pipe.
- We proceed to the dismantling of the water supply network.
- If possible, we unwind the connections with an adjustable wrench or ass.
- Unyielding joints are cut off with a grinder so that 10–15 cm of pipes remain near the walls for cutting new threads.
- We unscrew the fasteners and remove the pipes from the walls.
- We free the room from the dismantled pipes.
Depending on the design features and the scheme of the existing network, the dismantling procedure may differ. However, in general, it is always carried out according to the above plan, since it is he who describes all the stages of the analysis of communications most fully.
Stages of installing a new water supply
Before installing a new water supply network, we draw on a schematic diagram, displaying all the details of the updated design. On the plan, we indicate the dimensions and ratios of parts, the number of joints and turns, the length and diameter of the pipes. The finished scheme is the key to a successful and economical project. Only after a detailed study can you start installing a new network. Do-it-yourself installation of a new water supply system includes the following steps:
- With the help of a grinder and a stone circle, we cut special channels in the walls into which a new water supply will be laid. The depth of the openings must be at least 15 cm, and the width is 0.5–1 cm more than the diameter of the pipes. Laying the water supply network in the wall will allow you to save free space in the bathroom.
- We process the walls of concrete channels with a chisel, removing sharp edges and excess parts of the stone that can damage the pipes or interfere with their installation.
- We cut a new thread on an old metal pipe. To do this, we select the appropriate diameter of the plate and wind it on the remains of the iron base. To carry out this work, you will have to make an effort, but its result will be an excellent carving.
- We wind the corner adapter onto the new thread and direct it into the previously made recesses in the wall.
- We connect an emergency shutdown valve to the adapter, and we mount a new pipe to it. As the main option, we will use metal-plastic. Therefore, we connect the edge of the pipe directly to the tap and fix it.
- We make the appropriate distribution of cold and hot water, as well as laying the layers for plumbing. Before each final element of the system, we install taps that will allow you to easily turn off the tap or toilet in the event of a breakdown.
- We seal the pipes with plaster or immediately close them with the chosen type of finish, leaving only taps for taps, a toilet bowl and a heated towel rail outside.
The result of such actions will be not only a complete renewal of the water supply network, but also the liberation of space. In conditions of small areas, this step will make it possible to make the room visually larger and optimize it.
Installing a heated towel rail
A heated towel rail is an essential attribute of every bathroom, especially in the absence of a balcony. Its replacement is also an urgent issue, because over time, metal pipes become overgrown with a layer of rust, becoming less effective. The replacement of the heated towel rail is carried out in conjunction with the water supply networks and is thought out in advance. The procedure for dismantling and installing the dryer is carried out according to the following rules:
- Installation of a heated towel rail is carried out on pipes of heating or hot water. The second option is easier to implement and does not require coordination with utilities.
- We install cranes on pre-prepared bends that will allow you to turn off the device in case of an emergency.
- We fix the taps in the branches and immediately transfer them to the closed state.
- After the tap, we install an adapter of the required diameter, which will allow you to continue the network and connect the heated towel rail to the water supply network.
- We tighten the union nuts until they are completely fixed and open the taps, starting the flow of water into the system.
To check the functionality of the heated towel rail, both taps should be left open for a day. If during this time the system does not begin to leak, and water oozes from the connections, then the device is installed correctly and will fully work.
For dismantling and subsequent installation, it is necessary to have special tools at hand. Their presence will significantly reduce the time of work and optimize it. To simplify the replacement, you will need such a tool:
- set of wrenches;
- Master OK;
If desired, this list can be expanded with an additional tool such as a drill, crimping pliers, etc. Their presence is not necessary, but still allows you to fix pipes and connections more reliably.
Recommendations and errors
When removing old pipelines and sewers, pipes should not be cut to the very wall. Be sure to leave a gap 10–15 cm long, which is necessary for future threading. If you cut the pipes at the very base, then for threading you will have to hollow out part of the wall.
In places of branches, taps are necessarily installed, which in emergency situations will allow you to turn off a faulty element of plumbing or equipment. In the absence of a valve, the system will have to be shut off and the whole system will be lowered, which presents additional difficulties.
Too much tension or, conversely, loosening the nuts is a common mistake that is fraught with serious consequences. Pipes embedded in the wall will certainly begin to leak, which leads to soaking of concrete and damage to decorative finishes. Therefore, when tightening the nuts, special care must be taken and moderate force must be applied.