Plastic pipes are actively replacing metal counterparts from the building materials market. The advantage of plastic will be its lightness, ease of operation, the ability to install it yourself, resistance to corrosion. To work, you do not need special tools, it is important to have scissors for cutting. They make it possible to make an even cut, spending a minimum amount of time. Depending on the conditions of use and the intensity of work, various types of tools are used.
How to choose scissors for cutting polypropylene pipes
In order for the product to be used to the maximum for a long time, when buying a tool, emphasis is placed on the following characteristics:
- Blade. Made from stainless steel. The emphasis is on sharpening. To achieve an effective cut, the angle is 30 degrees.
- Handle. So that in the process of working with the device you do not feel fatigue and inconvenience, you must initially carefully examine the handle of the product. It is optimal to purchase products with rubber handles.
- Pipe support. Such a part must be wide so that the cutting of metal-plastic occurs at an angle of 90 degrees. When pipe rolling is not securely supported by scissors, they should not be purchased.
- Reverse auto-retraction. When the product remains closed after compression, the device will be uncomfortable when cutting different fragments of the part. Therefore, you should buy a model with auto-retraction to the starting position.
- Retainer. Finding a device without a latch is now difficult, but the selection process needs to focus on this, since there are products without it.
Important! When you need to cut small parts, there is no need to purchase large scissors for cutting plastic pipes. However, when the device is used regularly, budget segment models are not recommended.
The device device and the principle of its operation
Such a tool is considered manual and is used in plumbing installation work for water supply and the creation of heating systems. The blanks are pre-cut before work.
The plumbing model will provide the greatest force that falls on the cutting edge. Scissors that cut plastic pipes are considered a complex design, which is why the handle can be squeezed in one hand.
The device is selected taking into account the diameter of the part to be cut, starting from the design features. For example, it is possible to choose pipe shears similar to ordinary ones for the home. They are used for products in 0.5, 1 and 2 inches. One side of the device is equipped with a comfortable handle, and the other side is equipped with a profile in the form of the letter “V”.
To carry out the cut, scissors for cutting pipes made of polypropylene are brought close to the product from below. In view of this, it is possible to cut the workpiece into identical fragments that differ in diameter. The characteristic features of the cutting scissors design facilitate quick replacement of blades when the need arises.
Varieties of scissors
There are different shears for metal-plastic pipes, which differ in device, principle of operation and scope. The models used at home during repairs are manually controlled and are inexpensive. Devices that are designed for cutting heating pipes are driven by an electric drive.
This kind of device is simple. The user will use only 1 hand, which will facilitate the work. The main task of such a device will be cutting pipes made of polypropylene and plastic, with a diameter in the range of 3–40 mm. Special models are available for sale, suitable for rolled pipes up to 75 mm in diameter.
The knife is made of special steel, which will give auxiliary strength. Its sharpening will guarantee an optimal cut. The ratchet attachment is ideal for household use.
The device is also suitable for metal-plastic pipe rolling. The main difference will be the material of the cutter. The device, which is designed for parts made of polymers, is distinguished by steel with fine teeth (provide a tight grip).
The selection focuses on:
- blade sharpness and replacement options when it is intended to be used for a certain period of time;
- convenience at work: smooth running (sometimes rubs the palm under mechanical load) and comfort of location (no slip).
Roller pipe cutter
The simplest types look like a hook, inside of which there are special rollers. When cutting, the pipe will rotate along such structural elements, as a result of which a cut will occur. The spring and the force that is applied by hand will ensure the movement of the cutter.
The difference from the previous variety will be the participation of 2 hands, since it is required to support an additional valve that extends the knife. Such a device carefully cuts and slightly compresses a polypropylene pipe, like other products.
The cutter is considered replaceable, because it can be used for a long time. The main difficulty when cutting will be the need to hold the tool perpendicular. When such a requirement is violated, the knife becomes defective.
The battery powered tool is an improved version of the hand held tool. The user who performs the procedure does not need to apply force, since the knife and fixing elements are battery powered.
A pipe cutter with an electric motor provides the maximum even cut and is characterized by a high speed of work. In view of this, the device is considered a specialized technique. Scissors are used by workers to lay long lines for supplying water or heating.
Their application is simple: a section of the pipe-roll to be cut is placed in the special fixator, then the engine is activated, after the work is completed. The disadvantages include the high price in comparison with products for cutting plastic pipes by hand.
This variety is considered the best version of the roller tool. The mechanism helps to use the product more comfortably, no special efforts are required. This is due to the presence of a special rail.
The support in the device is wide, it is necessary to securely fix the knee (there is no need to control the position of the pipe cutter).
The presence of a stop reduces the risk of a sudden change in location, the appearance of defects. The blade of the scissors is extremely sharp, which will allow the product to glide smoothly.
Guillotines and pipe cutting machines
To professionally assemble plumbing and heating systems, hand tools will not help, because they do not have accuracy and require effort. Workshops are equipped with guillotines: a sharp cutter is directed over a pipe fixed in a vice. The force is formed by an electric or mechanical motor, which will multiply the user’s efforts.
The deformation of the wall is prevented by blanks inserted in advance into the incision node. In large factories, the process is brought to automatism, and the saw cut is controlled by electronics. After the pipe rolling, you do not need to clean it before installation: the cuts made by hand need to be sanded.
Best plastic pipe cutting shears and manufacturers
In special stores it is possible to choose different models, with different parameters and cost. Before making a purchase of a product, you need to study the instructions for each model and read the reviews. This will greatly simplify the choice. The best scissors:
- PPC42 FIRAT. Used for installation work equipment that regulates the climate in the home. The device is suitable for cutting pipes with a diameter of 20 — 40 mm with an optimally even cut.
- A guillotine that is used to cut plastic pipes with a small diameter of 30 mm. The tool has a ratchet mechanism that provides cutting of high quality plastic. Using this model, there is no need to disconnect the rail support, since the device has a spring that rotates the parts of the product to the initial position.
- Polypropylene pipe shears have a ratchet mechanism, have a combination of low cost and high quality. Suitable for pipes with a diameter of up to 4.2 cm. The kit comes with a sharp knife that provides an even cut. There is 1 drawback — a metal handle without rubber overlays. Therefore, it is recommended to use gloves for comfort in work.
- Polypropylene pipe shears are distinguished by high-quality assembly and a well-thought-out device. The toolkit is suitable for working with pipes with a diameter of 5–40 mm. The blade characterizes strength, good sharpening angle. The handle has a comfortable lock that prevents the device from slipping out of the hands, as well as rubber inserts.
- I‑TECH. It is a telescopic scissors for pipes made of polypropylene with a diameter of 60 mm. The product is produced by a developer from China, in addition to them, models for thin plastic pipe rolling are available for purchase. A tool of a budget category, has good technical parameters, a thin steel blade.
- Scissors for cutting pipes made of polypropylene from a developer from Germany, but the production is made at factories in China. Suitable for 42mm tubes. Knives are made from high quality steel. The case is made of aluminum alloys, so the device is light and comfortable in the palm of your hand.
- MILWAUKEE C12 PPC‑0. They are a tool from a developer from the USA. The device operates on a battery. Designed for cutting pipes. They have an auto-system that allows you to make 200 cuts of pipe rolling for 1 charge.
- Milwaukee Electric Tool. Scissors for pipes made of polypropylene from a manufacturer in the USA. Cuts pipes in diameter from 12 mm to 63 mm. Charging takes place from a 12 V battery. The device has positive reviews.
Today, there are a large number of models of scissors for plastic pipes on the building materials market, so the question of how to cut them will not arise. The user can compare models and purchase the desired modification in terms of parameters and price. But, when a pipe cutter from a well-known manufacturer is selected, you need to make sure that the purchased products are not fake.
Nuances in the work
To know how to use scissors, you need to read the step-by-step guide. Instructions for cutting pipe with such scissors involves the following steps:
- The marker marks the cut line on the product.
- Placed on the markup blade-base.
- Accuracy is controlled through a special slot.
- Applying a slight effort, the handles of the device are compressed.
The same scheme for cutting with guillotine shears. The difference lies in the fact that in this situation the handles of the device are compressed 3–4 times to achieve the final cut.
The design features of guillotines have a mechanism for returning the knife to its original position. Therefore, before the start of application, by pressing the return key, the cutter is set to its previous position. Usually maintenance is required after 400–500 cuts.
Important! Using profile shears for cutting HDPE pipes in your work, you need to study the instructions for use and act in accordance with the instructions of the developer. Maintenance involves actions that are aimed at cleaning and lubricating each working part of the device.
The case of the device is carefully opened, cleaning is carried out and the parts are lubricated with machine oil. In accordance with the operating instructions for the device, scissors for cutting polymer pipes are stored in the same package in which they were purchased. It is forbidden to use a pipe cutting device that is made from a material other than polymers.
When it is necessary to replace a blade on a guillotine, proper dismantling, sharpening or replacement is required. The procedure for removing the knife is as follows:
- The blade is installed in a position in which the heads of the fixing screws are visible in the holes.
- Use a Phillips screwdriver to loosen these screws.
- The knife is removed from the body.
Now you need to sharpen the dull part or mount a new blade in the opposite direction.
How to cut polypropylene pipes without scissors
In order to cut plastic pipes, various improvised means can be used. However, it should be remembered that such a cut will not contribute to the high quality of the future pipe. Therefore, it is necessary to consider the tools (in addition to scissors), which will make it possible to carefully cut the plastic pipeline:
- sharpening knife (with small teeth);
Cutting polypropylene pipes with a hacksaw or knife should not be taken as the main option. Their use can lead to the fact that the end of the pipe roll is frayed, burrs will form, which will need to be removed with emery or cleaned with a knife.
Scissors for working with polypropylene pipes are useful and popular tools that are designed to greatly facilitate work in the field of plumbing. Due to the large number of structures and products, it became possible to process rolled pipes of various diameters with any wall thickness. These devices easily cut not only ordinary pipes, but also metal-plastic products.