For safe self-installation and connection of the boiler, you need to use all the necessary protective and regulating equipment, choose the right method of tapping into the existing water supply system.
Connecting a storage water heater on your own is quite within the power of any more or less technically educated person.
It is enough just to adhere to the general principles of connection and technological nuances associated with the type of cold water main pipeline and the features of the internal electrical network.
Otherwise, the failure of quite expensive water heating equipment, the formation of water leaks, or an electric shock to a person may well occur.
Choose an installation location
In most cases, the owners try to place the storage water heater directly in the bathroom or toilet room under the ceiling with a wall mount.
This is quite justified — in this way space is saved in small bathrooms, since a boiler suspended from the ceiling usually does not interfere with anything or anyone.
But such placement of plumbing equipment is not without some disadvantages:
- Firstly, in case of shutdown of cold water for inexperienced users (mostly housewives) there is a desire to use the reserves of the valuable liquid contained in the storage tank. In this case, they often forget to turn off the power supply. BUT most of the most inexpensive water heaters are not equipped with protection against switching on without water (or the latter may simply fail and not work), which will lead to at least a breakdown of the tubular electric heater.
- In this respect more profitable floor installation of water heating storage equipment — as, for example, it is practiced in kitchens, where boilers are mostly mounted under the sink. And according to the laws of communicating vessels and gravity, water in the absence of pressure in the system will not be able to pour out through a tap located above the level of the tank.
- Secondly, for wall mounting such heavy equipment (the mass of the boiler is on average equal to the mass of water + 20–40%) secure fastening required.
Not in every wall material it is possible to organize high-quality fastening. For example, the now so popular drywall walls are not even considered. In order to securely fix the boiler in them (and even then, not the most voluminous), it is necessary to provide strong metal profiles at the stage of erecting plasterboard partitions — mortgages for future fasteners.
- Fastening in concrete or brick walls by means of anchor metal dowels will turn out to be of sufficient quality. Plastic dowels are strongly not recommended.because after a few years they significantly decrease in volume, dry out, which can lead to the fall of expensive plumbing equipment.
Plumbing connection diagram
The most reliable, time-tested scheme for connecting a storage-type electric water heater to a water supply network is indicated in the following figure:
When connecting water-heating electrical equipment to the water supply network, it is important to observe the following principles:
- The supply of cold / hot water to the apartment / house must be able to be blocked by valves;
- The same stopcocks must be on the branches leading directly to the boiler;
- If it is possible for low-quality water to enter the system at the inlet after the shut-off valve, it is necessary to install a water filter;
- After the shut-off valve at the boiler inlet, it is necessary to install a safety group, consisting of elements such as a safety valve that protects the pipelines and the heater tank from overpressure. When this indicator rises to the maximum allowable value, excess fluid is discharged into the sewer system through a thin drainage tube. Another mandatory element of the water heater connection system is non-return valve that prevents water from flowing out of the tank when it is above the connection point and there is no pressure in the cold water supply system. This valve will protect the heaters of the boiler from drying out, therefore, it will prevent their burnout;
- Another element that adds convenience to the maintenance of the unit is drain valvelocated directly in front of the entrance to the water heater and allowing you to quickly empty the tank for maintenance or repair of the plumbing device.
- Also, to connect the electric water heater, you will need various fittings — T‑bends (the so-called “tees”) and connecting pipes, flexible or rigid.
Rigid tees are considered more reliable, since flexible connections, especially with prolonged contact with hot water, can fail prematurely with all the ensuing (in the literal sense of the word) consequences. And the type of fittings used to connect the storage heater to the water supply system is determined by the type of pipes.
Do-it-yourself boiler connection to various types of plumbing systems
In the case of a classic steel water pipe, a modern connection method can be used, which excludes such complex processes as welding, cutting a water pipe, followed by threading to connect a tee.
For these purposes, the easiest way is to use a “vampire” tee, which is a modification of a metal clamp, one of the parts of which has a pipe with a finished thread.
It is installed as follows:
- the installation site is pre-cleaned from dirt and old paint;
- the clamp is installed using a rubber gasket and is securely fixed with four bolts;
- the water supply valve is closed, if necessary, the pressure in the system is relieved by opening any mixer;
- using a drill, a hole is carefully drilled in the pipe through a threaded pipe;
- the ball valve is screwed on, after which you can proceed to the subsequent operations — the installation of connecting pipes and safety elements.
To carry out a tie-in into a steel water pipe, the following equipment and materials will be required:
- Tee-“vampire” — 2 pieces;
- Drill with a drill for metal with a diameter of 10–12 millimeters;
- Set of wrenches or pliers and an adjustable wrench;
- Rubber gasketFUM — tape.
Video on how not to install small-volume water heaters:
Tapping into a metal-plastic pipeline is even easier, since it is made using standard crimp type fittings.
For this you need:
- Mark the tie-in points of the T‑bends on the hot and cold branches of the water supply.
- After shutting off the inlet valves and depressurizing the system, carefully cut out the marked areas using a hacksaw or a grinder.
- Clean up joints.
- Install the tees, carefully crimp them with a special crimping press.
To perform an operation for tie-in into an existing metal-plastic pipeline, you will need:
- Two T‑bends for metal-plastic;
- Cutting tool (hacksaw or grinder);
- Cleaning tool (round file or mounting knife);
- Crimping press for metal-plastic pipes.
- Polypropylene pipelines are connected by soldering. Therefore, to produce a tie-in to the water supply from this material, you will need:
- Soldering iron for polypropylene pipes;
- Pipe cutter;
- Two tees for propylene pipes.
Detailed video instruction on how to properly connect the boiler to the water supply:
The operation of inserting into a polypropylene water supply system itself is as follows:
- We shut off the water at the entrance to the system.
- Mark the sections of the cut according to the size of the tees, carefully cut them out with a pipe cutter.
- Clean the joints, insert the T‑bends, fix them by heating with a crimp soldering iron.
- Install valves or extension polypropylene tubes.
To make a threaded connection with shut-off / safety valves, it is necessary to solder special MPH couplings at the ends of the tubes.
Connection to a water supply system made of polyethylene pipes is possible in three ways:
- soldering method. In this case, the same tools are used as when tapping into polypropylene pipelines, only fittings are used from HDPE.
- Using compression type teesthat is, equipped with conical washers that tighten the connection by turning the nut — collet.
- Through the use of the “vampire” teesimilar to that described in the “Steel pipes” section, only made of high-strength polypropylene.
How to connect the boiler to the mains?
An important factor that directly affects the uninterrupted and safe operation of the boiler, the convenience of its operation, is its correct connection to the mains.
To ensure the above, the following conditions must be met:
- The connection should be made through a separate circuit breaker of the corresponding rating. This auto switch can be located both in a common shield and in a separate one located in the immediate vicinity of the water heater.
- Also, according to modern standards of PUE and SNiPs, it is necessary to connect any power electrical appliances, which include a water heater, through a differential relay (in other words, a residual current device). Typically, an RCD is installed on the entire power wiring of an apartment or floor of a private house.
- To connect the storage water heater to electricity, you must use a double-insulated cable of the appropriate section.
Thus, self-installation, connection of water-heating plumbing equipment is within the power of almost everyone. If you are not confident in your strengths, abilities, or you do not have enough free time, you can turn to the services of professional plumbers.
Standard installation, if you have all the necessary consumables and fittings purchased in advance, depending on the volume of the boiler, will cost 2000–30 dollars.
And if there are some difficulties that prevent the quick installation / connection of the heater (for example, a significant distance from the point of insertion into the water supply system or the point of connection to the electrical network), then the final amount is negotiated separately.