Humidity is the main indicator of the content of water vapor in the ambient air and is normally about 55%.
It plays a huge role in our life, which we sometimes do not even think about.
And neglecting this indicator can be harmful to your health and the health of your loved ones.
The norm of humidity in the room
First of all, the need for proper and constant hydration is explained by the ability of dry air to “dehydrate” the cells of our skin, hair, eyes. With this impact possible development:
- dryness and peeling of the skin;
- redness of the eyes and a burning sensation in them;
- increased fragility and deterioration of the appearance of hair.
Of particular importance is the drying of the mucous membrane of the respiratory tract. The mucous secret that is produced to protect the respiratory system ceases to be synthesized and excreted, thereby reducing the body’s resistance to pathogenic environmental agents for the respiratory system.
In some cases an insufficient level of humidity in the room leads, on the contrary, to an increase in the secretion of the mucous membrane of the respiratory tract, and runny nose and flu-like symptoms develop with difficulty in nasal breathing.
Dust contained in a dry room and does not settle due to its insufficient moisture, may provoke allergic reactions.
Some allergy sufferers in such cases are even able to resort to the help of medical personnel.
In maintaining normal humidity and controlling its indicators, it is significantly help modern humidifiers. Nowadays, these appliances have become as common as well-known stoves, microwave ovens or air conditioners.
Table of maximum allowable values of relative humidity in residential premises according to SNiP 2.04.05–91
|Period of the year
|Air temperature, 0 °C
|Relative air humidity, %, max
|Air speed, m/s, no more
|No more than 3 °C above the calculated outdoor temperature
|Cold and transient conditions
|18 — 22
The main types of humidifiers
In another way, this type is called devices “cold type”. Water poured into a special tank enters the pan, where cartridges are installed for it.
With the help of a fan, dry room air is passed through these water cartridges, humidified by evaporation of the liquid from the surface of the cartridge, cleaned of dust particles and released into the environment.
The advantage of this type is that it will never oversaturate the room with moisture: upon reaching normal values of humidity, it reduces its performance down to zero.
Its negative feature it could be considered quick clogging of cartridges when using non-demineralized running water. Ideally, these devices should run on distilled water.
This variety has similarities with electric kettles: for humidification, they bring water to a boil. The liquid evaporates in the form of steam and saturates the room with moisture.
Among the pluses steam humidifiers emit:
- high performance;
- the ability to work on any kind of water, unlike cold.
But there are also a number of disadvantages:
- high noise level during operation
- release of hot steam, which poses a risk of burns.
The high power of the steam device is both its plus and minus, because at the same time it ensures its more efficient operation and consumes a lot of electricity.
The most popular and perfect model, different from the rest by the mechanism of its work: with the help of ultrasound, they turn the fluctuations of electricity into vibration, which helps in the formation of fine water dust.
After that, this dust passes almost at the very exit from the device into a vapor state and normalizes the humidity in the room.
Ultrasonic humidifiers have a large number of advantages:
- low power;
- small sizes;
- convenience in operation.
But, as for the classic ones, distilled water is the best in their use.
These devices carry out their work through processes that are as close as possible to the natural evaporation of the liquid.
With indoor fan air passes through specialized drums cleaner, previously moistened with water. At this moment everything dust particles, mixing with water droplets, settle in themthe air itself is saturated with moisture, and then returns to the room.
With the help of sinks, waterlogging can be avoided, they have:
- low energy consumption;
- low noise level during operation.
But in terms of size and price, this type is significantly superior to others, which is its main disadvantage.
The benefits of a humidifier: which one is better to choose
Favorable action Obviously, it is especially manifested in relation to children. Because of children’s mechanisms of thermoregulation are imperfectand the metabolism goes with some greater intensity than in adults, the normal values of humidity:
- help to avoid overheating or hypothermia of the child (since dry air increases, and excess moisture lowers body temperature),
- prevent the occurrence of acute respiratory diseases and allergies,
- enhance the readiness of the body to give an immune response to pathogenic stimuli.
Therefore, it is necessary to use a children’s air humidifier.
For adults, this is no less important than for kids. In addition to the same benefits in relation to the body’s immune system and the prevention of ARI,
- general well-being improves,
- relieves fatigue after a hard day at work,
- reduces the risk of developing dermatitis or conjunctivitis.
But not only for people These devices are useful:
- normal humidity helps to preserve wooden furniture and other environmental items,
- Helps plant growth and photosynthesis.
It is the beneficial effect on the production of oxygen by plants that replenishes its reserves in the room, which means breathe easier in the room. Maintaining normal humidity provides a balance of heat transfer and heat production, which explains the feeling of thermal comfort in such rooms.
See which humidifier is best for a child in our video, Dr. Komarovsky explains:
Harm from using humidifiers
First of all, it is associated with the design features and individual components of the device.
For example, cold machines accumulate many microorganisms on their cartridgeswhich, when the cartridge is changed irregularly, are released into the environment along with recycled air.
You can easily get burned from a steam appliance, it also contributes to an increase in the temperature in the room due to the evaporation process, which is especially unfavorable for people with diseases of the cardiovascular system.
Ultrasonic Humidifier Causes Harmwhen all those substances that were dissolved in the water used for humidification are released into the environment along with the air. All these compounds are able to get both into the organs of the human respiratory system and remain on the furnishings in a settled form.
- Excess moisture promotes the development of fungus on the walls,
- adversely affects wooden household items,
- increases the body’s susceptibility to acute respiratory infections and disrupts thermoregulatory function.
A person will be exposed to hypothermia and increased microbial exposure.
How to use a humidifier
- Before use any kind of device Please read the enclosed instructions carefully.
- Installing the instrument must only be carried out on a level and stable surface so that the device does not fall or be tilted during operation.
- Be aware of the jet of hot steam when using a steam humidifier and risk of burns.
- It is not recommended to install the device close to the wall, furniture, other electronic devices, as it can simply ruin them.
- If white deposits appear on furniture, simply change the cartridges or water in the appliance more often, it is also advised to generally switch to distilled water, which does not give such a raid.
Vla controlIndoor Values: Humidity Meter
In addition to humidifiers, other methods of humidification are widely applicable, but this requires the use of special devices for measuring humidity — hygrometers.
Their use is due to the fact that the humidifier usually already has a humidity sensor with a hygrometerand other methods need to be supplemented with this device separately.
To maintain normal humidity, ventilate the room regularly, spray water with a spray bottle if necessary, increase the number of indoor plants or put a decorative fountain.
Approximate cost and main manufacturers
- Air O Swiss U650 — 13500 rubles.
- Boneco 7135 — 100 dollars.
- Electrolux EHU-5515D — 120$.
- AIC XJ-225 — 50 dollars.
- Air cleaner Venta LW 25 — 20000 rub.
When choosing a humidifier, you should weigh all its benefits and harms, pay attention to prices, power and performance, as well as the principle of operation of the device that is most suitable for your room.
For the implementation of a full-fledged human activity and the prevention of the development of many diseases, normal humidity is necessary. This can be achieved with a wide selection of modern humidifiers, the range of which will allow you to find the right one for any person.