Cleaning sewer pipes is carried out in many ways. A cleaning cable or, as it is also called, a flexible shaft is the most popular and not expensive option. With it, it is easy to remove old accumulations of debris and silt balls from pipes. The cable can be used for risers, drains and a variety of plumbing fixtures.
If earlier plumbing pipes were made of cast iron, now the main material is plastic. The risk of clogging during operation of such pipelines is much lower than from metal, due to the smooth internal coating. Despite this, there is still a risk of traffic jams. Accumulations of various fabrics and products made of polyethylene thrown into the toilet are a problem that can only be solved with the help of mechanical action.
Varieties of flexible shafts for cleaning sewer pipes
Types of shafts offered by various manufacturers differ in structure, size and type of section. The only common feature in all variants is the material from which they are made. Special steel is not affected by water, and is resistant to strong physical stress.
This is the most popular type. Rigging is made from pieces of wire of small diameter, which are carefully intertwined with each other. All edges are compressed, which allows maintaining the integrity of its shape during work of varying complexity. Some experts unwind one of the ends, thus creating a metal brush that helps to quickly deal with simple blockages in sewer pipes.
Important! For better rotation, there is a special handle on one side of the rigging cable.
The standard dimensions of the product are 250–500 cm in length and 0.6 cm in thickness. Small dimensions, flexibility and elastic structure are the main characteristics that the rigging type has.
In the form of springs or rope
There are two types of such devices. The first is a conventional spring made of wire material. The second consists of the same spring with a bending core threaded inside (spring-wound).
Important! Spring types are available in a special plastic sheath. It is necessary in order to ensure the protection of pipes and plumbing fixtures being cleaned during the procedure. Despite this, the choice of specialists mainly falls on the use of standard rigging cables.
Spring-shaped devices have different sizes. Often their length is about 60 m, and the thickness is up to 1.6 cm.
Pipe Cleaning Tapes
They have a flat shape, with dimensions of 30 m in length and up to 0.04 m in thickness. These tapes are used for cleaning large pipes. Accordingly, they are not used for sewer systems of residential buildings. The flexibility of this product is carried out in only one direction, which makes it impossible to clean hard-to-reach areas. Such a tape is stored rolled up, which greatly facilitates the process of its transportation over various distances.
Differences in professional products
Such devices look like ordinary cables with a spring wrapped around them. They are used to clean difficult blockages that cannot be removed using other devices. The length of the product is 60 meters.
Important! The peculiarity of professional shafts is that as a result of tension, stiffness indicators increase.
Types of professional shafts:
- Mechanical. The most popular type. He received his demand due to ease of operation and low price.
- Electric. The functionality of such a product is higher than that of other types. With the help of a mechanical cable, blockages of varying complexity can be removed.
Achieving the desired result with a hand cable is quite simple, and all because of the additional attachments that come with the kit.
Variety of special nozzles
In most cases, the shafts are equipped with a hook on one end, designed to catch debris in the pipes. Professional products are distinguished by the presence of a thread at the end, which serves to attach various nozzles. Often they are included with the purchase of a cable, but they can also be purchased separately in a specialized store.
Important! The most famous ruff-shaped attachments are not sold in one set with a cable. They are often used when cleaning sewer systems in a private house.
Cleaning the sewer with a flexible cable is carried out using the following nozzles:
- Screws. Used as an alternative to “ruff”. The augers help to remove light deposits on the inner surface of the pipes.
- Hook. With it, you can pry off accumulations of blockages that are wrapped around the nozzle.
- Pick. It makes it possible to remove fatty layers in the pipes.
- Harpoon. Such a nozzle has been developed to remove solid blockages.
- Staples. With it, you can get rid of the layers of dirt on the walls of pipes of large sizes.
- Sliding knives. Are applied to cleaning of various raids on pipes. Their peculiarity lies in the possibility of adjusting the distance between the two knives, adjusting them to the dimensions of the pipes.
There are other types of knives as well. Some of them are designed to trim plants and roots that have formed a blockage. There are also types that are specially designed to remove lime residues. But the most popular are serrated and spiral knives.
Purpose and selection of cables
The scope of professional cables is quite diverse. But in order to achieve the desired results on your own, without involving masters, you should know what sizes exist and their purpose.
Important! The most popular cable for cleaning sewer pipes is Sibrtech.
Depending on the size of the cable, it is used:
- At home, cables of small length and thickness up to 1 cm are used. They are used in residential buildings and offices.
- To clean the general sewer system at home, it is necessary to choose devices with a thickness of 12–16 mm. They are the most sought after among specialists, and are designed to clean risers.
- For more complex structures, industrial sewers, cables with a cross section of up to 2 cm are suitable. The length can vary from 1.5 to 150 meters. Moreover, such devices are used for cleaning urban sewers with large pipes.
- For heavy blockages, cables with a width of 16 mm and a wire section of 30 mm are used. In length, such products can reach 60 meters.
The selection of the correct cable depends on the section of the pipe to be cleaned:
- pipe section 5 cm — cable diameter 1–1.2 cm;
- 10–11 cm — 1.4–1.6 cm;
- 20 cm — 1.8–2 cm.
It is best to clean pipes made of plastic and having a width of up to 100 mm using a flexible cable 1–1.2 cm thick.
When choosing the dimensions of the device, one should take into account the angles and the number of turns in the sewer system. You also need to remember that the thickness of the cable should decrease as bends with angles greater than 450FROM.
With a long sewer system with pipes no more than 200 mm wide, it is recommended to use a thicker cable. Also in this case, special attention should be paid to indicators of the flexibility of the device.
Stages of work
Connecting plumbing fixtures to sewerage in residential premises involves the use of siphons. Before cleaning the pipes, it should be removed. You also need to disconnect the seal from the outlet pipe.
Important! Some cable designs make it possible not to include the dismantling of the siphon in the cleaning procedure.
After washing the elements, you can begin the main work:
- A cable for cleaning sewer pipes is placed in the drain hole by the working part. If necessary, you can attach a specific nozzle to it.
- Rotating the handle of the device in one direction, the cable should be slowly driven into the hole, unwinding it.
- As soon as you reach the problem area, you will feel that the product does not go any further. To get rid of clogging, you need to make an effort, from time to time taking out the product and removing adhering dirt from it.
- The destruction of the plug can be determined by the freer movement inside the pipe. After that, it is necessary to continue to rotate the handle for some more time, ensuring the complete removal of the remaining accumulations of debris. Also, this movement will prevent traffic jams in another part of the system.
- After carrying out the above steps, you should check the results of the work. To do this, pour a large amount of water into the hole. It is best to use a warm liquid, as it can be used to remove the remnants of fatty deposits from the surface of the pipe.
- If the water drains well, you can proceed with the installation of the siphon, having previously assembled it.
The used plumbing mechanical cable for cleaning should be washed and dried well. Then carefully grease with oil and place in a folded position in a dense paper package.
Important! Rope storage in polyethylene may result in loss of properties. Therefore, the cleaned product should be placed in a box or other similar container.
With light clogging, you can do with the use of household chemicals. In the absence of the necessary funds, it will be enough to use soda. To do this, heat 10–15 liters of water. Then you need to dissolve a pack of table soda in boiling water and pour it into the sink. As a result, fatty deposits in the pipes will be removed, and the blockage itself will disappear.
Store-bought household chemicals also work well to solve this problem. Mole is a great option. You can also use Tiret, Steril.
Having made the right choice of cable, you will certainly achieve the desired result. It is only important to follow certain rules.