It is far from always possible to connect a private house to the central sewer networks, and you don’t want to give up a comfortable bathroom even while staying in the country. Therefore, more and more often, the owners of country houses are equipping a local sewage system on their site.
For small buildings with non-permanent residence, a storage type septic tank is ideal. It can be made from various materials. A practical option is a fiberglass container for a septic tank.
The device and principle of operation of storage sewage
A septic tank is a reservoir of a sufficiently large volume. Inside there is only one chamber in which wastewater is not processed, but only accumulated. In one of the walls of the tank there is a hole for the inlet pipeline. On top there is a neck with a hatch for inspection and maintenance.
The tank is usually buried. The presence of the container is only given out by the service hatch, through which the sewage machine periodically pumps out the accumulated sewage.
Also an important element is the ventilation riser, which is a plastic pipe that rises 70 cm above the ground. From above, it must be protected from precipitation and debris entering the container.
For ease of maintenance, a level sensor can be built into the storage tank, which will tell you when it is time to pump out sewage.
Traditionally, a septic tank was made of concrete rings. For the construction of such a structure, it is required to call lifting equipment, and the tightness is often lost during operation.
A plastic septic tank turned out to be a more practical option. At the same time, you can make it yourself from improvised materials, for example, eurocubes, or buy a finished structure. An example of a popular finished device is the Chistok storage septic tank.
Another good option is a fiberglass container.
Advantages and disadvantages of storage fiberglass tanks
Storage tanks made of fiberglass, have a whole list of positive characteristicsrelating to both the method of disposal and the material itself.
- Storage type sewer septic tanks are the easiest and cheapest option for arranging the drainage of a small private house.
- Accumulators do not require the work of bacteriaso if necessary, you can install the tank on the surface, which will significantly reduce the cost of installation.
- Such local sewerage is insensitive to volley emissions, as it has large volumes.
- This type of waste disposal does not depend on geological conditions: groundwater height and soil water absorption capacity.
- Fiberglass does not corrode and is resistant to even aggressive compounds, which is important for sewage, and also tolerates soil pressure well. All these properties determine the long service life of such tanks, which reaches 50 years.
- This material also tolerates low temperatures well.. The container can be installed even on the surface of the earth. In this case, it is better to purchase a vertical storage septic tank, which will take up less space on the site.
- Tanks are sealedwhich excludes contamination of the soil with sewage.
- Products are lightweight, so they are easy to install yourself.
But fiberglass drives have a number of shortcomingswhich must be taken into account when choosing this option.
- Fiberglass is a brittle materialtherefore, care must be taken during installation and transportation.
- Fiberglass products are more expensive than plastic counterparts.
- Drives take up a lot of space, as they have large volumes.
- The lightness of the material can cause the tank to be forced to the surface by rising groundwater, so anchoring is required upon installation.
- For service it is necessary to call a sewer truckso this option is not suitable for large houses.
However, for a summer residence, such a sewer is a suitable option. And in order to reduce pumping costs, you need to correctly determine the required volume.
How to calculate volume?
When determining the size of the wastewater collection tank, 2 parameters must be taken into account.
- Daily water consumption depends on the number of residents. It is generally accepted that one person consumes 0.2 m³ of water per day. Multiplying this value by the number of residents, you can understand how many drains are generated in the house per day. The storage tank must contain wastewater in 10–14 days. Longer storage may lead to sediment compaction.
- For the storage system, it is also important to take into account the capacity of the tank of the sewage truck. This parameter averages 4–8 m³. You should not install a very small capacity, because you will have to pay not for the pumped out volume, but for calling the car.
The last parameter should be clarified with the organization that will empty the sewer container.
Based on the calculations, you can purchase a container and prepare everything you need for installation.
Necessary tools and materials
In addition to the container prepare for installation:
- shovel for digging a pit and a trench, if you plan to do it yourself without the involvement of special equipment;
- cement and sand to prepare the base for the tank;
- sand for backfilling the container and preparing the base for the pipeline;
steel hingesthat will need to be installed at the base;
- slings for fastening septic tank;
- plastic pipe with a diameter of 110 mm for the ventilation riser and supply pipeline and fittings for it;
- spirit level for tank leveling and observance of the angle of the inclined sewer line;
- a device for cutting pipes and preparing holes in the walls of a septic tank;
- sealant for processing pipe joints.
After that, you can proceed with the installation.
Installing fiberglass drives: instructions
Installation of a fiberglass drive is simple and consists of several steps.
- When choosing a place, take into account the possibility of a sewer truck access. In addition, it is desirable that there are no trees and shrubs in 3 m, and buildings with a foundation in 5 m. Elevation is also not suitable, since most sewer systems operate by gravity.
- After that, earthworks begin, which consist in digging a pit for a septic tank and a ditch for the supply pipeline.
The container and pipe must be laid below the freezing point of the soil.
- A sand base 10 cm thick is poured into the trench. The sand is carefully leveled and rammed, checking compliance with a slope of 2 cm per linear meter.
- Prepare a hole for the inlet pipe and ventilation. Install the ventilation stack.
- Lay pipes, controlling the slope, and lower the septic tank into the pit. The container must be installed strictly horizontally.
- Secure the tank to the concrete base with cables.
- Connect the pipeline.
- Backfilled first with sand, then with soil.
The device is ready for use.
A little about the installation of a fiberglass septic tank, see the video:
The simplicity of the drive is manifested not only in the device, but also in operation and maintenance, which consists in the timely pumping of wastewater. It is important to remove sewage removed at least every 2 weeks to avoid hardening of the sediment.
Periodically, the walls of an empty septic tank must be washed with water.
To reduce odor and thin the sediment, it is also recommended to add special biological products to the container.
A fiberglass septic tank accumulative for a summer residence is undemanding to operation. He does not need special climatic conditions.
The main thing is that the water inside does not freeze. Fiberglass is resistant to aggressive environments, so there are no restrictions in this regard.
A common reason for not buying a fiberglass storage septic tank is the price. So, a capacity of 5 m³ costs about 50–700 $ without taking into account additional materials, and when ordering an installation, many companies ask to purchase pipelines and fittings for them, as well as cement and sand:
- a pipe with a diameter of 110 mm, which will be needed to equip the sewer line and ventilation, costs about 160 rubles per linear meter;
- for 1 cu. m of sand and 50 kg of cement will have to pay an average of 600 and 3 dollars, respectively.
The price for mounting the drive is determined by direct contact with the company providing services. But installation and connection usually cost at least 150$.
Doing it yourself will save you money.
In any case, with careful installation, you can get a simple but reliable storage waste disposal system, which is perfect for a small cottage.