A thermal curtain is a device that creates an air barrier on the gate and protects the microclimate of the room from the unfavorable environment.
Despite the fact that the system requires a constant supply of energy, it prevents the premises from cooling down, reducing the cost of heating the workshop.
What is a thermal curtain
Thermal air curtains provide optimal climatic conditions in large premises (workshops, warehouses, workshops, factories, etc.). The main functions of these devices are
- energy saving,
- air conditioning,
- personnel safety.
The advantages of a thermal system include the following factors:
- maintaining a microclimate at any time of the year;
- keeping warm even when the gate is open;
- creating a barrier against dirt and insects;
- unpretentiousness in service;
- security enhancement.
Cons of the system:
- burning oxygen;
- noise at work.
Types and their features
Air thermal curtain is a device with powerful fans used to prevent air or contaminants from passing from one open space to another. Often used in cases where the gate to the workshop remains open for a long time. They help prevent insects and debris from entering the shop, creating turbulence. Heated models are used to provide extra warmth.
In some cases, the systems are equipped with driveways, cargo gates and window openings. Cooling units are sometimes used in combination with cold stores.
- Water used for additional heating of the perimeter. Represents a source of heat with open access to steam or hot water. Just like an air curtain, it prevents cold air from entering the room and saves energy consumption.
- Deluge is a system for extinguishing fires in large rooms. Equipped with thermal fuses to limit water flow. After activation, all installed nozzles open simultaneously and the fire extinguishing system operates over the entire area. The main mechanism for activating the system is a hydraulic and pneumatic drive. This type of fire extinguishing system is used for objects with increased fire hazard.
- Thermal curtains from heating are suitable for creating a wall of hot air, minimizing heat loss from the premises in winter. In summer, such devices prevent hot air from entering chilled rooms. The main function of these models is to maintain heat in a large room. In this case, they are one of the elements of the heating system and require connection to the pipeline.
- vertical designed to install the system above the doorway of the gate in cases where the architecture of the building or the features of a particular room do not allow the installation of a horizontal version.
- Horizontal is able to perform additional functions of the heater due to the wide range of action and features of the electrical wiring. Such models are often equipped with a filter, valves and a highly efficient heat exchanger with reserve stock. The average length of horizontal models is 2.5 m (with the possibility of connecting additional elements). Sometimes the body is made of stainless steel.
- Three-phase thermal curtains include air curtains, designed to counteract heat loss with a thin stream of air (along the width of the hole). Such systems typically include an internal heat source to raise the temperature of the air passing through the device. In more complex situations, an air curtain several times the width of the opening is required. Non-standard dimensions of the device require a three-phase power supply. Otherwise, cold air will still get inside the room.
- Steam have similar functions with water types. The main difference is that instead of hot water, the device uses steam. The heat output depends on the temperature of the steam coming from the heat exchanger.
Main technical characteristics of the thermal curtain
Dimensions vary depending on certain models and door heights.
- Large versions for cargo and warehouse doors reach 2115 mm.
- While compact models have a size of no more than 1037 mm.
- The least used is the middle version with a size of 1576 mm.
- Compact models weigh no more than 90 kg, devices for installation on high gates can reach 200 kg or more.
On average, thermal curtains consume 5 kW during the entire working time.
Automatic adjustment with the correct setting saves even more energy. At the same time, problems such as untimely switching on of the unit during a period of adverse conditions are practically minimized, since the system automatically regulates the power of the device and the temperature.
Design and thermal power calculation
The thermal power of the device is determined by the following formula:
Q = k × A × ∆T,
k — heat transfer coefficient of the device;
A — surface area of the device;
∆T — temperature difference.
For example, for a room of 16 square meters, you will need a device with a capacity of at least 1.6 kW. In this case, the equipment is located across the entire width of the gate. The permissible deviation must not exceed 50 mm.
When using vertical systems, it is recommended to install two copies on both sides of the gate, as this reduces the likelihood of dampness and the development of fungus in the room.
Remember one more rule - for every 10 square meters (with a ceiling height of up to 3 meters), 1 kW is consumed.
In this case, it must be taken into account that the ceiling and walls in the room must have their own thermal insulation. If it is absent, it will not be possible to create a comfortable atmosphere, since heat will pass through the walls.
When installing vertical models powered by heating, you can refuse to buy expensive models with a heating function. In addition to the fact that the temperature in the workshop will be maintained, this will save on the purchase and installation of equipment, since models with a heating function are much more expensive.
Installation and maintenance
If the air curtain comes with a wall mounting plate, do not attempt to replace it with a homemade one. If the kit contains additional electrical accessories, install them in accordance with the attached instructions.
Before installation, make sure that the power supply in the room is suitable for using the purchased device.
For further work you will need:
- anchor screws,
How to fix the curtain correctly
- Determine the exact installation location.
- Remove the protective shield by removing the screws from the top, bottom, and front of the case.
- Most often, the curtains are equipped with four holes designed for wall mounting. If there are no holes, drill them yourself.
- When using anchors for fasteners, make sure they can support the weight of the unit.
- Fix the device, being careful not to touch the fan.
- Make sure the structure is securely fastened.
- Install a protective screen.
To connect the device, you must have experience with electricity. Otherwise, contact a qualified technician!
To connect a device, follow these steps:
- Remove the cover of the compartment intended for connection to electricity.
- Connect the power supply and connect all the wires in accordance with the supplied diagram (depending on the model configuration).
- If you are sure that everything is connected correctly, click on the start button.
Do not put on a protective screen before the test operation of the device, as further reinstallation of the equipment or its reconnection may be required.
- If the fans are running, and the device makes a characteristic noise, then everything is connected correctly, the system is ready for continuous operation.
- If you experience problems such as the fan not working or there is no power supply to the device, contact a specialist, as it is not recommended to carry out repair work without a certain qualification.
Air curtains require minimal maintenance as most models are fully automated. The only intervention is regular cleaning.
Remember — the dirtier and dustier the room, the more often and more thoroughly you need to clean.
- Turn off the power and lock the service panel to prevent accidental power on.
- Remove the intake grille to access the blower housing and motor.
- Remove the bottom panel to access the fan housings.
- Remove dirt, dust and debris.
- Return all components to their original state.
Popular manufacturers, models and prices
|THC WT1 6M
|THC WS3 3MX AERO
|THC WS3 5MX AERO
The following video clearly shows how to use an air curtain in an unheated room:
A few reviews from online stores and from the pages of manufacturers:
“The air coming from this model turned out to be much colder than stated in the specifications. In order for the device to start working at full power, you need to wait a while from the moment you turn it on.
Sergey, about the Resant TZ-3S model
“After a major overhaul in our workshop, it was necessary to install an air thermal curtain. I liked the device because it has two modes — hot and cold air (in summer)”.
Ivan Alexandrovich, about the Rovex RZ-0915С model
“Not a bad device, a little bulky, but effective. I recommend”.
Alexey, Kemerovo, about Timberk THC WS3 5MX AERO
To make the right choice and not spare the money and effort spent, it is recommended to heed the advice of members of the American Society of Heating Engineers:
- A low-quality model consumes more energy than a more expensive efficient counterpart.
- The air curtain is designed not to heat the room, but to reduce heat loss.
- Do not confuse air curtains with heaters, as their main function is to store heat locally.
- It is worth choosing equipment based on the size of the gate opening, and not guided by the power of the device.
- The best option for installation is horizontally above the gate or vertically on the sides.
- Don’t forget to take into account the characteristics of the building (height, orientation, etc.) and external climatic conditions.
- Use a stable power source.
Air curtains help businesses save energy by reducing the amount of cold air entering a building. In order for the air curtains to function fully, not only high-quality installation is important, but also the correct selection of the device. If the installation is incorrect, and the device is much smaller than the gate itself, the system will not bring any benefit, and the power consumption will increase several times.