This little device can make our lives much easier. A faucet nozzle will help warm water or clean it of impurities, chlorine, illuminate the sink, and even significantly save on utilities.
What is a faucet attachment?
A nozzle is a compact device in the form of a cylinder, attached to the end of a faucet or shower head hose. The product kit includes only a couple of parts: the nozzle itself and an adapter with which it is screwed to a faucet or mixer. The device occupies a minimum of space, is easy to mount and, if necessary, can be quickly removed.
Types of nozzles
There are several types of faucet nozzles:
- to save water: reduces the amount of liquid flowing from the tap per unit of time due to the saturation of the jet with air; the force of water pressure remains unchanged; such devices are often called aerators;
- luminous nozzle on the water tap: built-in LEDs instantly turn on when liquid enters it; such a nozzle helps not only save electricity, but also visually determine the temperature of the water; if almost boiling water comes out of the tap, the stream turns red, at temperatures up to + 44 ° C it turns green; if the water is too cold, below 31°C, the color changes to blue;
- sensory: after installation, the water turns on only when hands are brought to the tap; no touching of the device is required; the source of energy are finger batteries;
- for heating water with a built-in mini-heater: despite their small size, such devices are quite powerful, but require a lot of electricity; therefore, they are more often used in summer cottages or during the period of seasonal shutdown of hot water;
- children: a product made of plastic or thermoplastic rubber, equipped with an extension cord, which simplifies access to the tap — it is much easier for a child to reach it; painted in a bright color, the nozzle for children makes the process of washing and brushing teeth much more fun;
- nozzle filter: equipped with a mesh, a porous insert or an ion-exchange membrane, designed to purify water and soften it; depending on the model, it is capable of passing from 0.2 to 6 liters of liquid per second.
According to the design of the nozzle on the crane are divided into:
- unregulated: without pressure force regulation;
- adjustable: with pressure booster, more often used in shower heads;
- rotary type: in such products, the angle of inclination of the jet can be easily changed by simply moving the nozzle in the desired direction by hand.
Aerator to save water
It is estimated that with a fully open tap per minute, up to 12 liters of liquid are poured out of it. This amount is often unnecessary — much less is required to take a shower or wash dishes. But it is enough to close the tap a little — and the pressure decreases.
The water-saving compact nozzle on the faucet (aerator) allows you to significantly reduce the flow rate, while leaving the force of pressure at the same level. The displacement of up to 70% of water from the jet and its replacement with air is carried out using several grids with the smallest cells placed in a cylindrical container. The first two of them serve for rough cleaning of the outflowing liquid, and also set the direction of the jet. The remaining grids are designed to mix water with air.
Saving water after installing the device is quite significant. Plus, when the jet is saturated with air, washing becomes more comfortable. The soft stream no longer sprays in all directions. The liquid does not hit the sink, but only smoothly washes it. Plus, in the process of saturation with air, chlorine is eroded from the water.
The most durable and strong products made of brass. To protect against scale, they are additionally coated with a silicone coating. A lot of time able to serve steel products. Devices made of plastic fail most often — they will have to be constantly changed. Some manufacturers, along with aerators, embed original LED nozzles on the faucet with backlight.
Such a device helps to filter water and free it from impurities of rust, chlorine, various types of salts that increase its hardness, as well as mechanical impurities. The design and principle of operation of products from different manufacturers may vary slightly.
According to the filtration methods, such products are divided into:
- mechanical cleaning in the form of a fine mesh: the simplest devices capable of retaining only particles up to 100 microns in size, but they are not capable of coping with chemical or biological contaminants;
- adsorption: equipped with a porous insert capable of absorbing even the smallest impurities; for normal water filtration requires the presence of high pressure in the system;
- with an ion-exchange membrane: they are able to purify the liquid from most types of impurities (rust, active chlorine, oil products, biological inclusions), without reducing the pressure, some types of nozzles help to significantly reduce the mineralization of water.
Of course, the performance of such filters is low — unlike full-fledged cleaning systems, nozzles are able to pass through themselves only a small amount of water. However, for drinking or cooking, the resource of the cartridge is quite enough. If you need to fill a bucket or basin with water for washing or mopping, you will need to switch to no cleaning mode or completely remove the filter.
Important! Please also note that hot water should not be passed through certain types of such nozzles. If this still happens, the device must be rinsed with 5 liters of cold water.
Water heating device
A flow heater is a device for instant heating of water, capable of heating it to a temperature of 45–60°C. Such devices have a low power of up to 3.5 kW and can heat no more than 3 liters of water per minute, therefore they are used mainly in summer cottages or in apartments when the hot water supply is temporarily turned off.
The heating element in them is a heating element made of copper or steel. The heating is switched on automatically — to get hot water, you just need to open the tap. For this, a flow sensor is used, which turns on the device when water enters. The same device, associated with a thermal relay, allows you to protect the device from overheating in the absence of water in the system.
The water heater-nozzle on a standard faucet can be attached immediately to the gander. Sometimes such devices are built directly into the mixer. The first option has less power and is more suitable for one-time use — washing hands or a small amount of dishes. To take a shower, it is better to purchase a mixer with a built-in nozzle.
Most models are equipped with a temperature controller. The heating system can be stepped or hydraulic, when the temperature depends on the amount of liquid consumed. With a built-in pressure sensor, the heating element is turned off both at too low (to avoid overheating) and at high pressure.
How to properly fix the product?
Due to the simplicity of the design, it is easy to install such a device. It is equipped with an adapter with a double-sided (external and internal) thread and is easily screwed into the standard tap thread. When buying a product, you should pay attention to the diameter of the nozzle. It must match the diameter of the faucet. Installing such a device will not work only on old models of ganders without an aerator mesh, in which threads are not provided.
To connect the device, a few steps are enough:
- the mesh is unscrewed from the crane;
- instead of it, the adapter included in the kit is screwed;
- to seal the connection between it and the gander, a rubber o‑ring is attached;
- the nozzle itself is screwed to the adapter.
The device does not require special care. In the event of a blockage (and in the presence of poor-quality water or old rusty pipes, this can happen quite often), the nozzle will need to be unscrewed from the kitchen faucet or faucet and cleaned thoroughly.
It must be rotated clockwise. To work, you need a wrench or pliers. It is required to act very carefully, without undue effort, so as not to break the thread.
The structure must first be disassembled. In the aerator, for this, the meshes laid in the cylinder are sequentially removed. To do this, press them from the side of the jet exit. The strainer is removed by prying it from the side with a screwdriver.
After removing the nozzle, it is thoroughly cleaned with an old toothbrush and washed with running water. Fine sand and debris clogged in the net are carefully pushed out with a needle or toothpick. The resulting scale is removed by placing the nozzle in a container with 9% vinegar. You can get rid of rust with the help of chemicals designed to clean plumbing.
It is also necessary to evaluate the condition of the rubber gasket. If it is worn out, it is replaced with a new one.
After cleaning, the product is reassembled. The filter meshes are laid so that the wires from which the mesh is made do not move. After laying the rubber washer, the nozzle is twisted counterclockwise.
Advice! In order not to damage the coating, when unscrewing / twisting the nozzle, wrap its outer side or pliers with a strip of cotton fabric or electrical tape.