Any heating device operating under pressure and at high temperatures automatically falls into the category of high-risk devices. The main troubles that can happen to the boiler and disable it, up to the most serious consequences, occur from excess pressure in the system. After exceeding a certain, critical value, the boiler may be destroyed, the heat carrier may leak, the building may be flooded, or a fire in the boiler room may occur. Therefore, the technological parameters of the heat point require control and automated collection of excess atmospheres outside the installation.
To cope with this task is the vocation of a combined device called the “heating boiler safety system”.
Safety of the heating system: the urgency of the problem
All heating networks are equipped with an expansion tank, which is filled with air and plays the role of a kind of pressure damper to mitigate drops. Any liquids are incompressible substances, while gases and air are perfectly compressible in volume up to hundreds of times under the action of external forces.
Therefore, when the coolant expands / contracts from temperature changes, pipelines and boiler equipment are protected by gas compression during the operation of the expansion tank.
Therefore, people who are “not in the know” naturally have questions about the relevance of acquiring an additional and expensive device, like a heating security system. Its purpose is to work in emergency mode when the thermal equipment goes beyond the nominal modes.
That is, a tank is a matter of course, a certain function is assigned to it, which can be called regulatory, and an emergency system will protect all parts of the heating unit in the event of an emergency.
Safety group in the heating system: types and features
By and large, the safety group in the heating system consists of three devices, united by a common pipe — “collector” and consists of:
- Pressure gauge. Indicates the amount of pressure in the system and helps to control the fullness of the pipelines when setting up the network. When assembling the device yourself, it is recommended to purchase a pressure gauge with a measurement limit of 4–4.5 atmospheres, as the standard value in the heating main of a private house rarely goes beyond 3 atm. The peculiarity of pointer instruments is that the accuracy of the readings is guaranteed when working within the second or third quarters of the scale.
- Air vent. Serves for removal of air during filling of a copper and pipes by the heat carrier at the first start, service and in the course of work. An additional task is to release the steam formed during the overheating of the boiler. Internally, the device is a bit like a conventional gasoline carburetor — the float has a mechanical connection with a valve that is open when there is no water.
- Relief valve. A spring-valve mechanism set to a certain value, which serves for emergency discharge of steam, water or steam-water mixture during increased boiling in the boiler.
It turns out that in the absence of protection and boiling water in the tank, the resulting steam would press on the walls of the vessels until it found a way out. Typically, such a process is explosive in nature and is accompanied by tangible material damage.
Features of installing a heating security system
The installation of a heating security system does not contain any secret nuances — it is enough to follow the installation instructions, which briefly read:
- This device should be the first of all on the supply pipeline.
- The maximum distance from the outlet must not exceed 1.5 meters.
- Shut-off valves must not be installed to cut off the device.
Tips & Tricks.
During normal operation, the expansion tank may become defective, so the excess will be discharged through the emergency valve. In order to avoid flooding, it is recommended to put on a drain pipe on its branch pipe, the second edge of which must be brought into the sewer.